650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > any good places to look for a bike?

any good places to look for a bike?
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
sharno

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 10:15 pm    Post subject: any good places to look for a bike?

i have been wanting to build a bobber and im having a hard time finding one at a super low price. you guys got any suggestions on where to find those deals? i looked on ebay and didnt have much luck also craigslist and cycle trader. thanks in advance
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

well this is what it is coming to, the cheep ones are getting harder to find...................... as more and more get chopped and bobbed, especially once the frame has been cut, they will become more expensive.......as you are finding out.............Short supply=more money.........good luck
Photo Gallery
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

I've been watching e-bay prices. Bikes not meeting reserve, high starting prices, prices on the ones that see are moving up well over $1000. The low end ones I've seen are on Craig's list.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

There are bikes and deals still out there, you just have to keep searching. Put the word out to everyone you know and on every 650 site you visit. Check your local newspapers and even check out garage sales and estate sales. You never know what might be in the corner of someones garage or barn and keep checking e-bay and craigslist too. If there are motorcycle swap meets in your area they may have complete bikes or a rolling chassis or know of someone who has a bike for sale so ask around..................BG

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

Are you looking for a complete bike or building one from ground up? I have found some good deals on projects others have given up on. They may have $1k invested and sell it all for $500. That
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

It would also be a good idea to let people know where you are from so if they see something they can contact you.
Photo Gallery
sharno

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

im wanting to build it but i would consider one that has been started but not too far into it cuz i dont want to have to go back and change what the person already did, and would like to ride a little before i chop it up. i had an chance to get an xj 550 from a friend for 500 bucks but come to find out i was too late with talking to him about it cuz he got rid of it. oh well
oldbikenut

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

I really searched when I decided I wanted a streetbike. I found my XS off CL and guess what I did not find it in the motorcycles section, I found it in the garage sales section. The ad said old yamaha motorcycle, I called and found out it was an XS! The people were nice enough to hold the bike til the next day for me. Be creative in your search and you may want to put an ad on CL that you are looking for an XS. Good luck!
s008ess

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

What state are you in Sharno?
sharno

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

im in florida also thanks for the craigslist tip oldbikenut
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

www.searchtempest.com/

This site allows searching of multiple CL sites based on a starting zip code and search radius. Here in DE I get Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, parts of New York and Connecticut. Comes in handy if you are searching for a specific item.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
sharno

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

thanks ill use that!
NateDogg

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

I know someone who just bought one from a cycle bone yard for a couple hundred. It runs but they had sold off the tins and stuff. And in CT if it's a 79 or older you don't need a title
s008ess

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

There are a couple XS projects in the Dayton, OH Craigs list area...
VoodooXS

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

I find them on craigslist all the time. I got mine for $900 looking and running great.
p73ornstar

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

Yeah Craigslist works great. I just found a XS650 for $350 in my area. Ebay is where I got my engine. Found a guy 30 miles away that had an 81 Special engine for sale and picked it up for $150.
sharno

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

well apparently in florida noone is selling these lol
oms1981

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: any good places to look for a bike?

I found mine on craigslist as well. I saw several 650's come and go. Some were too beat up, some were too expensive. I just waited patiently for the right one. It took a few weeks but eventually I found a great bike at an amazing price. You just have to be patient and monitor the website very closely. When the bike I ended up buying was first posted, I emailed right away. Good deals are out there, but they don't last...

I guess another thing to consider if you are in fact having a hard time, is that you may need to expand your search area. I drove about 50 miles to get mine, which was no big deal to me. I would have gone substantially farther, it just ended up not being necessary.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1