650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Custom Igition Switch

Custom Igition Switch
    Forum Index -> Electrical
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Custom Igition Switch

Hey guys, anyone ever used a car ignition switch for the starter switch? Turn the key to start the bike. Why have I never rode a bike with this setup? Is the keyed starter switch a safety hazard?

Also, I was considering trying to find a ignition cover kind of like the ones Harley sportster have to hold the ignition switch. Has anyone tried this? Pictures?

Peace.
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Igition Switch

The starter button allows you to hold the throttle in any position at the same time you are pressing the button. An ignition spring loaded key switch would work but unless you had 3 hands it would not allow this.
Not familiar with the Sporty ignition cover so someone else will have to help you with that .........BG

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Igition Switch

It works best to have the starter PB next to the throttle just as BigGeorge said. The automotive key start works well with fuel injection/computer controlled set-ups because there is no need to operate the throttle.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Igition Switch

Well, and lets not forget the clutch, which should be pulled in when starting, either because of the safety interlock or to releave the drag from the transmission when starting cold.

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Igition Switch

pamcopete wrote:
Well, and lets not forget the clutch, which should be pulled in when starting, either because of the safety interlock or to releave the drag from the transmission when starting cold.

Yea Pamcoepete thats why I told cpotts454 he would need 3 hands Lol.....

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Igition Switch

my fuel injected bike has the same old push bottom on the throttle like older bikes, not sure why, i dont have to give it gas ever or use the clutch, unless im trying to start it in gear.. actually once and a while when my bike is really hot if i kill it or stop it and try to start it again i have to give it a little throttle to fire it up

but if you had a momentary push botton on your bike i dont think it would be a big deal if its somewhere you can get at easy left handed
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Igition Switch

I am mainly trying to get away from having to have a button on the bars.. If you've seen my bike, its minimalistic at best, I ordered a sportster ignition cover today from harley, a nice grab for 8 bucks, I plan on mounting it there the horn once was. Planed on using a automotive iginition switch for the internals, the kind that have the momentary starting relay.

I figure at worst case starting the bike cold would require me to turn the key and one hand on the throttle to its work.. And on the road if I kill it I should be able to hold the clutch and thurn the key with the other hand...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1