650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > check out this site

check out this site
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
royfisk

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 4:43 pm    Post subject: check out this site

mysite.verizon.net/res...p/id5.html
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Shame theyre not chromed though..Reckon I still might buy some.
Cheers

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

xs 1961
you can have them chromed, powder coated , or better yet get him to make them stainless and polish them.

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Wow..I just had a proper look into their site ..Superb stuff.I know where my next set of pipes are coming from !
Thanks for the pointer Roy

Photo Gallery
Sledhooligan

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Does someone have a phone number for him? I tried to email him and I don't think it went through.
royfisk

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

greatscottxs650 @ verizon.net
Sledhooligan

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

I was hoping for his phone number
royfisk

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

email him and mayby he will send it to you. I dont have it. He did thank me for turning you guys onto his web site so, he is motivated
Sledhooligan

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Thats the problem I don't think my emails are going through.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

I wonder how you "tune pipes for stock motor performance" ? They look and sound good.

gordonscottengineering @ verizon.net

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

hey pumps, A “tuned pipe” is referring to an exhaust that is matched in diameter and length for a particular motor or purpose, in this case stock motor for street use. The diameter and length of the pipes will have an effect on torque curve and rpm’s and the pipes I described as “tuned for stock” have been optimized in length and diameter for street use. For racing use there is a difference in pipes tuned for each type of racing, “TT”, half mile, mile etc…. for example TT pipes are usually longer and smaller in diameter then “Mile” pipes (1 5/8 x 40’s vs. 1 ¾ x 20’s) megaphones and reverse cones also have effects on performance and some teams try different cones for different tracks. If you ran a short fat pipe on the street you would be revving 10+ before you got any torque(if your motor could), not what you want leaving a set of lights. All the info I have is from Yamaha racing and other independent racing team research from back in the day, I do not have the funds (dyno time $$$$$$) or brains to accumulate this info on my own so luckily for me I have known some very smart people in the biz over the years willing to share Wink

cimg4187.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.77 KB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)

cimg4187.jpg

Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Thanks Gordon Scott. I wondered how that was done. It sounds like some complicated ciphering. I like your stuff!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Hi Again, you got me in a typing mood Smile , here is a little more on the subject and will be a little controversial as well so I am prepared to be set strait. Tuning a pipe for a motor, or maybe I should say “building a pipe” for a motor (4 stroke) is not as much as a black art as many think. One thing I get a lot of is “what about backpressure?” and I say what about it! YOU NEED BACKPRESSURE they say! Who is they? I’m not really sure how this backpressure thing got started but I’ve heard it my whole life and what’s the reason for it again? We already have reversion (returning waves that f-up the air/fuel mix) to deal with so why add to the problem? You want the spent fuel out of the combustion chamber and ready for the next BOOM! There is no reason I can think of to keep spent gas in the cylinder. The piston on it’s own can get most out (about 90%) but relies on a good exhaust to do the rest. So a good pipe will help “siphon” the spent gas out of the chamber that the piston can not push out on it’s own and backpressure would keep the spent fuel there. The big thing about pipe diameter is it’s direct effect on air/fuel and maybe this is where the “backpressure” thing comes from. Because air/fuel is the real torque decider and exhaust diameter is directly related to air/fuel, you can’t change one without affecting the other two, so maybe it’s just the terminology that’s wrong. Anyone set me strait please do, I like to learn and am no expert by any means. Anyway sorry for rambling. P.S. nice “77” there, many consider that to be the best year, old styling, upgraded frame etc… here is mine, still has plastic on leavers Very Happy

1977-xs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.48 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)

1977-xs.jpg

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Welcome to the site gordonscott, as you know i have been lurking over at the 650 motorcycles .com. It's good to get some different feed back on the exhaust thing, (I'm definitely a novice), love what you are doing with the style of your pips.................Great 77 you have
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

What a beautiful bike! Mine's not there yet, but slowly getting there. Funny, mine has the plastic on the levers too. I wish I could find a nice luggage rack. If you type " back pressure " into a google search, you'll find lots to read.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Ha, I might have a luggage rack in the shed, I have to get a tank for Roy anyway so I'll see, if I do it's yours Wink I read a lot of tech stuff about exhaust but a lot of it is over my head Confused I'm simple Laughing and thanks for the welcome Skull, good to be here Very Happy
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Most of it is over my head too. Thanks for the offer on the luggage rack. Let me the details, PM me.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
marshall

PostPosted: May 6, 2009, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

gordonscott wrote:
The big thing about pipe diameter is it’s direct effect on air/fuel and maybe this is where the “backpressure” thing comes from. Because air/fuel is the real torque decider and exhaust diameter is directly related to air/fuel, you can’t change one without affecting the other two, so maybe it’s just the terminology that’s wrong.

Scott, if you're "no expert" on exhaust, then I am something like a curious ape tossing a foreign object from hand to hand, scratching head and making "ooh ahh ahh" sounds. At least you're BUILDING the damn things!

Nonetheless, what you say about terminology being mixed up makes a lot of sense to me. What I gathered from what you wrote is that what some people call "backpressure" is nothing more having the appropriate amount of flow through the pipes. And the main point is that this CAN be achieved with an open pipe, if the length & diameter are approprite. Right?
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Hi Marshall, you are spot on correct! Here is another way to look at it, if you were to siphon gas out of a tank (we all been there) and you had a large diameter hose (large exhaust pipe) it would take a lot of suction to fill that hose with gas and have it start to siphon for you, it would come up the tube so far and then just stop when you ran out of suction and had to take another breath, on the other hand if hose was too small you would look like you just ate a lemon with a pucker face trying to suck all that gas thru a straw (restriction), it would be easy to start the siphon but would take forever to get the gas out of the tank. Like I said earlier a good exhaust will help siphon the remaining 10% or so of spent fuel out of the combustion chamber that the piston cannot push out on it’s own. So we are looking for a good balance between the two extremes, not to big and not to small. I'm very bad at explaining myself so I'm glad my ramblings made sence to someone and by the way the whole monkey thing was VERY funny Laughing
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Pumps, how to pm? I looked in shed and have 2 backrests but cant find the rack to go with them and one of them is the sliding type that can be moved forward for driver so I must have it someplace, I'll dig deeper this weekend.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Go to the top of this page where it says " You have no new messages" . Click on it. You will be in your private messages. Click on new post and put my name in the user name box. I think you can figure it out from there. Or hey I could just send you an email? Imagine that!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Gordon, I Emailed you last week for pipe prices Confused
Photo Gallery
Sledhooligan

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

pm me to got some questions.
gordonscott

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Hi XS1961, I'm sorry I did not get that email? I always reply to emails Shocked what can I do for you? gordonscottengineering @ verizon.net or greatscottxs650 @ verizon.net would be happy to help Very Happy and sled give me a shout off site as well. anybody on site into hacks?

cimg4134.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.85 KB
 Viewed:  485 Time(s)

cimg4134.jpg

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4