650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

TC Bro Forward Control Vibration
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 2:27 pm    Post subject: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

Has anyone come up with a fix that will dampen the vibration on the TC Bro forward controls? I just took a 100 mile trip and it got kinda brutal. I kept having to readjust my feet so they wouldn't fall asleep. I've got drag bars too and it such a comfortable position to ride in. I feel the heavy vibes around 50-60 miles per hour. My hands go numb too, but I dont know weather this is a tuning related problem or a damping related problem.

Any thoughts on damping these things would be great!
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

Gearing .....tuning....timing.......compression..........
In their order of relationship to vibes..........

And rubber mounting them somehow would really help if they are not.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

Gel inserts in your riding boots... the cheap and easy way...

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

Now you know why the Yamaha engineers decided to rubber mount the handlebars, footpegs, gas tank, battery box etc.

If you're going to ride a modified bike, you'll have to toughen up to it. Stock bikes are comfortable rides.
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

Understood RG, but surely someone has modified the modified to decrease vibes. ;-). John, TC Bros forward controls bolt directly to the motor mounts, with no rubber.

y setup is this, brand new rebuild, compression 145 on both, Pamcos electronic ignition with the timing dead nutz, carbs rebuilt with 2 sizes larger pilots and mains, pod filters, and open header pipes. The bike runs a tad lean, just the tips of the plugs white, everything else is a great shade a brown. Motor mounts are properly torqued.

Handle bars vibrate like crazy, I cut my middle finger horribly a long time ago and barely have feeling in it. While riding, my middle finger is actually hurting, kinda crazy. lol. I have good rubber grommets on the handle bars too.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

Runout on the crank has a bunch to do with vibes. and as I have found some cranks just vibrate more than others........I have had both extremes.........my original crank vibrated to the point of pain......even after it was balanced........

Recently I lowered the compression a bit and that helped with my tall gears ....slightly retarded timing and good carb tuning......actually a pleasure to ride for a change.....no one thing ever solved it for me......

Redisign the pegs with rubber gromets.........just a little isolation goes a long way there..............or thicker pads in your boots as Penn suggested.... Laughing ....

I gear min so I can cruise below the beginning of the heavy vibs which seem to start at about 3700............I cruise at 65 at 3500....... Exclamation

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

What gears are you running John?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

18/29 140 sized rear tire..........mikes can make up a 18/30....... xsjohn
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

I have a 140 rear too, and it rubs my chain. How do you keep yours from rubbing?

With your 18/29 setup, how much difference is there with the low end torque? Do you ever ride anybody with you?

Thanks buddy.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TC Bro Forward Control Vibration

My rear is actually a 130......but it's taller than a standard 130.....don't know why.....A firestone discontunued.....my son rides with me ocassionally......can't even remember how it was with stock gearing..had it this way for 10 years at least....gotta give some to get some but I am so light it maters not for me.....and you need to retard the timing a bit with taller gears for sure...and you always have the lower gears that become more usefull...

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1