650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > oil filter

oil filter
    Forum Index -> Engine
xsleo

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 3:33 pm    Post subject: oil filter

I have a converted sump plate oil filter on my 75.
Some have wondered about ground clearance. It comes down to even with the side stand mount. If you have ever hit the side stand mount on the ground, then you might hit this filter.
If I have any problems with something flying up from the front tire, it would not be to hard to make a debris deflector to mount in front of it.
To convert the sump plate was not to hard. I had a piece of aluminum bar that I salvaged from work. It is about 1 3/4 inches wide, 3/4 inch thick. I cut a piece the same length as the sump filter. I then drilled three holes to match the filter mount holes. I then drilled a hole to match the oil hole on the filter.
I then then used a 2 inch hole saw to make a hole in the sump plate centered up so the filter sat in a good place on the sump plate. With the aluminum bar bolted on the sump plate, I marked the center of the hole on the bar. I then drilled a hole on the mark.
When I bought the oil filter at Lowes, I took it over to the plumbing section to get a brass fitting to screw into the filter. A 5/8 flare fitting is threaded 3/4 x 16 this is what the filter is threaded at. I bought a 5/8 flare to 1/2 pipe thread, and a 1/2 floor fitting.To mount the floor fitting to the ally bar I drilled and tapped the bar to bolt the floor flange to the bar. I cut off any of the flange that over hung the bar. When I bolted it together I used JB Weld to seal it.
I then drilled a series of holes the join the two holes in the bar together and cleaned up the slot with my dremel tool. I then sealed the slot with a piece of sheet steel and JB weld.
I then filled in the area where the oil filter screwed up to the sump plate with JB Weld. After it dried I filed the surface flat to provide a good seal.
Once I bolted it all together it looked good. On the engine it works good.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

I love innovation. I bet it works well. If it wasn't to much effort, a protective plate in front of the filter would be a nice touch.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Nice one , Id be nervous riding up kerbs though.. Wink
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

I looked at the convevsion on other web sites.
I'm thrifty, so getting a plate machined or buying one from the danish site is more than I wanted to spend.
When I finaly figured out how the plate was altered in side it wasn't to hard of a DIY job.
If I build another one I may buy a 3/4 by 16 tap so I can just tap the bar instead of the floor flange. Then I would just get a 5/8 to 5/8 flare fittng.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Leo, I pressume that this take's the place of the sump screen? If so, I would like to see those plans. Would make one up & use the short filter like you got.I don't think that filter will tear up like the stock one.I suppose for those worried about hitting it could fab up some kind of shield for it.
xsleo

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

I should have taken pics as I built the parts. My camera was broken I got the parts all done before I replaced the camera. I may build another just to take pics of the process. I could at my next oil change I can take the sump plate off and snap a few pics to show it a bit better.
I did this because the sump filters tear up. The filter I use I get from Lowes. Less than $10 bucks. Fits a garden tractor.
Some people use just this filter and leave the one in the sidecover out.
I am working on a spare side cover to bypass the filter and add an external filter. Maybe even an oil cooler.
I have been thinking about a debris shield. Mounting it on the frame with large clamps of some sort. Using some off the aluminum diamond plate I have.

Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

xsleo, I got the Heiden cooler from Mike's,so that is doing a good job filtering. But it is after the oil pump,so instead of the sump filter tearing up this would be better.I, myself don't have a camara, that's why I haven't posted any pic's at all.Too cheap to buy one, and I wasn't ever a photo taker.Don't go to alot of trouble for us, I think there is one on one of the Aussie site's. I'll do a little reserch & see what I can find. Gordo
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Well, Regardless of whether you replace the sump screen with a filter or replace the oil screen with a filter, you should keep the other screen installed to provide a backup when the filter bypass opens.

The double whammy is if you replace the sump screen with a filter, then both that filter and the oil screen have a bypass valve, so if they both open at the same time, you won't have any filtering at all.

The oil screen bypass opens at 14 PSI. Some filters open as low as 7 PSI, so it's safe to assume that if something causes the oil screen bypass to open, then the screen filter bypass will be open as well. This condition is most likely to happen on initial startup, when the oil pressure is high, so just be sure to keep the revs at or below 2,000 RPM until the oil is warmed up.

PostPosted: April 17, 2009, 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

I try to let it run for a couple minutes before I ride. I start the bike then finish putting on my gear, helmet, gloves and such.
pamcopete, I had to read your post a few times before it sank in. On the sump filter, the oil is drawn thru by pump, not pushed thru. Will this make a difference on how the bypass works.
If I get the mods on the spare sidecover done I'll keep the oil filter in the sidecover, A little insurance just in case.

Photo Gallery
JLukasik

PostPosted: April 17, 2009, 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Cold 20w 50 trying to be pulled through a paper oil filter... Sounds like oil starvation to me, might open the relief valve but I doubt it. I REALLY liked this mod until I realized it was pulling the oil through the filter not pushing.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2009, 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

xsleo

It doesn't matter if the oil is pushed or pulled through the filter. The bypass operates on differential pressure from the inlet to the outlet.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

I don't know if this is similar, might help some:

www.xs650.org.au/tech4.html

xsleo

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

JLukasik, The stock sump filter pulls thru, I am using this filter as a replacement for the sump filter.
yamaman, That is simular, what I did uses the stock sump plate. the one you linked is a replacement sump plate. Either way works, I'm not a machinist so I just modified what I have.

Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Look like a good job. However..not wanting to be awkward we have potholes in this country that would rip that right off... ..seems to be that something could easily damage that and the consequences dont bare thinkin' about.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Speed bumps are a hazzard too. I plan on building a shield for it. Just have a few other things to work on.

Photo Gallery
AMT82xs650

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Here's another link for a couple more filter options for the XS650.
home.comcast.net/~dyenfd/XS650.html
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Cool. Like a sump guard on a rally car.. Smile

I guess best way to do it, is with tags welded to bike's frame...seems like a shame if the finish is already good..

Like a light tubular steel frame with ally rivet to it? Thats what I'd do..if I could see mounting points...might have a look at mine to get a better idea..

actually having a look at your pic ...seems like a good idea to mount something with clamps to the frame...but take care not to cover too much of that area from air flow, some surprisingly important cooling going on down there... I reckon?..actually thinking about it, having that thing swinging in the breeze like that ( Laughing ) probably improves oil temp a bit ?
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

Well, the bottom of the crankcase acts as an oil cooler, that's why it has those little fins there. A shield would block the air flow to the bottom of the crankcase, so, you should then install an oil cooler to compensate. However, if you are going to install an oil cooler, then you might as well install an oil filter in the same lines. But, if you are not going to block the airflow to the bottom of the crankcase, then you really don't need an oil cooler, so you would be better off just installing the oil filter with external oil lines.

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter

I was thinking that useing heavy duty p-clamps on the frame to hold some heavy aluminum or steel plate. Low enough to let air flow but close enough to protect the filter. Mostly from trash on the road being thrown up by the tire. I think that is the most hazzardous.
I have my spare engine cover modified with the ports to hook in an external oil filter and cooler. I tapped into the oil passages from the oil pump, plugged the holes I don't plan to use. Tapped the oil filter cover for a return. I plan on hooking the pressure gauge in after the filter/cooler. That way I know that oil is comming back into the engine.
I have thought about using a temperture gauge, with the sensor hooked into a tee where the pressure gauge hooks in. This way I can tell how hot the oil is.
I may hook the temp gauge in before installing the filter and cooler. This will give me an idea of what the temps are. Add the filter, see how much it effects the temp. Add the cooler, see how that does. If the extra filter cools things enough I might not need cooler.

Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter

How tall is that filter???

If it's taller than 2 1/4" you might try this one for a little more clearance

www.wixfilters.com/fil...Part=57035

William's Law ...

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1