650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > My 78 bobber build thread

My 78 bobber build thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
ironwill

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

baclay9

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Any way I can talk you into shooting a pic from the rear or the rear corner of the bike with your liscense plate on? I really am interested in that light but would like to see how it looks with a tag hanging off the back.

Does it have a tag light? Thanks man.

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

She's looking damn good, brother.
ironwill

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

baclay9 wrote:
Any way I can talk you into shooting a pic from the rear or the rear corner of the bike with your liscense plate on? I really am interested in that light but would like to see how it looks with a tag hanging off the back.

Does it have a tag light? Thanks man.

I don't have a plate yet, but I will take some pics for you when I get it, and mount it. There is no specific plate light, other than the brake light being on, and reflecting off it. Thanks.
ironwill

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Teebs wrote:
She's looking damn good, brother.

Hey thanks. Having a blast building it.

Todays list:
Finish welding exhaust, paint, mount.
Add oil
ount kick starter
ake bracker for gen brushes
Bleed rear brake
Test starter, if it works, fab bracket, mount, and connect solenoid.
Drill seat posts, install cloth, and metal washer with cotter pin
Tighten front seat bolt to allow pivot, but no additonal play.
Hopefully, touch this puppy off, and take it for a spin around the house. I'm sure there will be additional bugs to work out.
baclay9

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Also, I just bought a tank like yours (with the petcock on the right). Did you buy 90 deg petcock that was made for the left side? Is that how you got it to face backwards?

Your build is looking great man!

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

baclay9 wrote:
Also, I just bought a tank like yours (with the petcock on the right). Did you buy 90 deg petcock that was made for the left side? Is that how you got it to face backwards?

Your build is looking great man!

Exactly, Sporster Left petcock, picked it up off ebay actually. Think the guy was in Mass. The original petcock was straight down, and it didn't fit right at all, trying to bend the fule line around, so I picked this one up...perfect placement IMO.

Thanks.
mmarm300

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

here is what mine looks like...not sure if its what u r looking for

071009_xs650_7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.04 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

071009_xs650_7.jpg

071009_xs650_8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.42 KB
 Viewed:  445 Time(s)

071009_xs650_8.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Yes, thats the look I had planned on, but that was before I decided to put blinkers on it, and kind of needed everything centered. Any way,
waiting for gen brushes, and mirror from Mikes.
Found a piece of pipe kicking around the garage to cut, and extend my exhaust. Going to 45 the ends. This is a pic of me fitting it, I had to cut a slice on the inside and bend it in slightly, weld it up, so it would follow the same line as the frame. Made my own mounting bracket in the rear.
Also, a pic of air cleaners installed. These were on it when I bought it, and didn't splurge for new ones, but prob will once I get a
few miles out of her.

ironwill

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Gen. brushes installed today, a quich check with the meter, and oh yea she charges. Carb boot spigot plugs installed, battery strap. I tooted it around the house a few times. Really sweet running bike, as far as engine noise etc. Needs fine tuning, and I'm going to try the washer-on-a-pivot trick to see how it sounds, and if I don't like it, I'm going to cut some slices and slide in some baffles that will block 50 of the pipe in two places first, at an angle to improve flow. This will be a process to figure out what I like. When I get the sound I want, I will begin the tedious process of tuning. Runs real good at idle and slight throttle, but if I get on it, it falls on its face, and won't rev up at all in gear moving.
ironwill

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Rolled it out of the garage yesterday, and flashed a couple of pics. Thought I would share them. Pretty much done other than fine tuning in the Spring.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
toe.

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

i dig it! good job!

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4