650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > My 78 bobber build thread

My 78 bobber build thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
ironwill

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

This one shows the underside. I welded on some tabe to hold the wiring.

img_0625.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.14 KB
 Viewed:  346 Time(s)

img_0625.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

A piece of metal I had kicking around I cut, and drilled for a speedo mount. Kind of insignificant.....but.

img_0626.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.79 KB
 Viewed:  344 Time(s)

img_0626.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Here it is mounted. I used the original speedo as it was chrome. I may upgrade to one of the mini's at some point, but the price was right for this one. Dirty from install in pic. Cleans up nice.

img_0629.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.04 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

img_0629.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Putting the back together. I had to do it several times, as a few shims were required on the top fender mount to get it perfectly centered.

img_0627.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.78 KB
 Viewed:  361 Time(s)

img_0627.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Other side. Chain not tensioned yet. After seeing this pic, I took it back off, and cleaned the rim up better. Looked pretty dirty.

img_0628.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.38 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)

img_0628.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Mount I welded up for the headlight. Got a little camera crazy!

img_0634.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.41 KB
 Viewed:  356 Time(s)

img_0634.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

It's been a busy Summer, and haven't worked much on "bob" a little here and there. Got the headlight installed. Not sure how I'm going to hide all the wiring.

Last edited by ironwill on September 2, 2009, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ironwill

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Shortened kickstand for lower stance. Installed battery. Linkage on brake side. Getting ready to mount tank.

Last edited by ironwill on September 2, 2009, 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
ironwill

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Tank mounted, hooked up fuel line. Any input on this would be appreciated. I purchased fuel line from parts store,, clear plastic, but it seems thin, well, and flexible, unlike the old brittle one I took off, but I'm wondering if I should wrap it in some black tubing, or maybe find some braided stainless covering. It just seems weak and vulnerable, maybe it will be fine once I get another holder on it. I also put a tee in then ran a line to each carb, unlike the original set-up where the tank had two petcocks, and a single line running to each carb. Has anyone done this, that can verify my method. Thanks.

Last edited by ironwill on September 2, 2009, 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

fuel line will be fine as is helps to be able to see fuel flow sometimes
ironwill

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

jayel wrote:
fuel line will be fine as is helps to be able to see fuel flow sometimes

Sounds good. I suppose it a good thing to have it flexible, but it was really different than the ones I took off, hard and brittle. The parts store sold me a plastic (or some such material) tee, I was kind of expecting brass, but they said it would be fine, any opinions? Thanks.

Thanks for the response Jayel.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

as long as they knew you were using it as a fuel tee and hose shouldn't be a problem, that tygon line is good stuff
baclay9

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Looks good man! You guys make me so jealous. I can't wait till my hardtail section shows up so I can get started.

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Looks good, man! Smile

Hey... what size is that fuel line? I'm going to replace mine every so often and just wondered what the ideal diameter is.

Nice work!

TC
Photo Gallery
ironwill

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

TeeCat wrote:
Looks good, man! Smile

Hey... what size is that fuel line? I'm going to replace mine every so often and just wondered what the ideal diameter is.

Nice work!

TC

Thanks for the compliments, I've had a blast building it. I'm pretty sure the fuel line is 1/4" OD, if I remember I'll take a look tonite to be sure. My old fuel line had it written on the side, and I just brought it with me when I went to the parts store.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

original fuel line would have been 6mm (0.236") 1/4" close enough
ironwill

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Continuing with assembly. I have deviated from my original plan: Totally bare bones bobber, no front brake, no blinkers, no battery etc. Primarily for safety reasons, and also Maine bike laws that require brakes, blinkers, and I believe posted by a member here, that you have to have lights operable with the bike not running (post '73) ie. battery basically required. With that in mind, I purchased a new front brake master cylinder, stainless hose, etc. battery installed. Chrome rear master cylinder, stainless hose. All installed. Today I am adjusting rear fender mounts, connecting rear brake light switch.

I have a couple of questions: are generator brushes interchangeable from a '80 with electronic ignition, to a '78 with points? Also on the clutch side of the bike there is an oil filter with a screw plug (drain maybe) in the center of it. Is that supposed to be screwed down tight. Seems like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find info in it, and it was tightened down when I accessed it. Thanks for any help. New pics coming.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

ironwill wrote:

I have a couple of questions: are generator brushes interchangeable from a '80 with electronic ignition, to a '78 with points? Also on the clutch side of the bike there is an oil filter with a screw plug (drain maybe) in the center of it. Is that supposed to be screwed down tight. Seems like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find info in it, and it was tightened down when I accessed it. Thanks for any help. New pics coming.

brushes are different, 70-79, 80-84, the bolt in the center of the oilfilter hold the pressure check valve (bolt just holds filter on tight just snug it down) to pass oil thru the filter, the center of it contains the high pressure relief valve it should be even with face of bolt

check valve.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.24 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

check valve.jpg

ironwill

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Ah...sweet. Glad I asked. I have the generator, and rotor off the '80,
i assume they are different because of the pointless ignition. I suppose I could take the parts off the '80, and make the '78 pointless. I will have to look at the schematics I have, to see if I have all the parts to do it. I don't want to change all the wiring, as I just got this together. Thanks for the response.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I trust...........Pretty sure if you want to run points (or Pamco ect) you can use any alternator........If you want to run standard Transistor Controlled Ignition (TCI) then you need the TCI alternator as it has the pick up sensor in it!
ironwill

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

The alternator I have on the '80 has an oval shaped black box/module on it, with its own separate wires and plug on it. I'm not sure where that would plug in. I assume it would go to the coils, where the wire from the points connects now. I just looked the the wiring schematics, and it looks like there is a different ignitor coil assembly with a plug on it.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

ironwill wrote:
The alternator I have on the '80 has an oval shaped black box/module on it, with its own separate wires and plug on it. I'm not sure where that would plug in. I assume it would go to the coils, where the wire from the points connects now. I just looked the the wiring schematics, and it looks like there is a different ignitor coil assembly with a plug on it.
that's the ignition pickup connects to the igniter (TCI) unit

ironwill

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Working on consolidating, and attempting to hide wiring that all converges near the headlight. Unfortunatley small bobber headlight has no room inside to hide it all. Bled the front brake, that took a little time. Got rear brake light switch soldered in. I am getting anxious to cruise this baby down the road.

Last edited by ironwill on September 3, 2009, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ironwill

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 bobber build thread

Not finished, but rolling around the garage.

Last edited by ironwill on September 2, 2009, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4