650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Introduction to my first bobber project... the VooDoo Child!

I purchased the bike on Ebay for a whopping $300! Spent another $325 shipping it from Iowa to Austin Texas and whalla... I had me an XS650!

A little dirty. Okay... A LOT dirty!!!

y journey to the "bobber side" began the night I unloaded the ride from the moving truck.

Right side engine clean... Left side still to go...

Received my package in the mail from TC Brothers.

Went to chopping an hour later!

I'll definitely post some more pics later, but to make a long story short...

A month and a half later...

Go easy on me... Remember... It's my first project!
Photo Gallery
mdrathank

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

nice job!
y 82 looks a little worse than your beginning pic.
hp
easytravel

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Love it! totally rocks. What's the stretch on the weld on hard tail? Very clean style, white grips and all...
I like walks on the beach and....oh $%#...wrong site!! Uhh yeah so...thought I would get more involved with my 650, see it at mark58mark on youtube, you know..actually getting dirty once in a while, the things that made us love bikes in the first place..
Blacktooth_Grin

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Got any close ups of your mid controls?
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Lean and clean. Well thought out build yamaha_dave.

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

very nice, not sure id want to try that right sided jockey shift though, but it looks cool

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Thanks for all the great posts guys! You've really made my Sunday after 24 hours of blues...

I wet the tank last night and tried attempted the "virgin start". Shortly after I turned on the petcock, I heard gas pouring on the floor!

Apparently I had a sticking float in my left carburetor. Quickly disassembled, cleaned, straightened, and put back together. While I had it apart, I re-checked the float clearance according to my Clymers guide. The manual suggests 27mm and I think the floats were sitting at 18mm. That's quite a discrepancy. Getting them out to 27mm required quite a bit of bending on the tang. This didn't seem normal??? Seems to work though.

After putting the carburetors back on, I realized my gearing was slipping on the starter. I think the friction clip needs to be "squeezed" a bit. I lost my friction clip all together on the kick starter and had to fabricate one from a one gallon paint can handle. The metal they use is pretty rigid and damn near the same diameter. I first bent the "tab" on the bottom and then wrapped the sides around the top of my WD40 can. Worked like a champ!

I'm tearing the crank case down tonight and checking the friction tab on the electric start. Hopefully, I can get it to quit grinding like banshee!
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

27MM on the floats would be the 80 brass floats only....the black plastic floats says 22mm ...........every plastic set I have seen in here were 23MM......

If those are plastic floats at 27mm something bad is going to happen......

And on the plastic floats you should measure at the far end of the top ledge.....not the next one down that is rounded out.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Yamaha Dave....that is a dynamite rigid! You rarely see a rigid with clubman's bars and they do look right on that one! GO with a correct type rear fender, (maybe a reversed FLH front fender) but not one of the Softail styled ducktail fenders. They wouldn't look good on a classic Brit looking rigid. Even a simple flat style rear fender would look good. At any rate, Two Thumbs Up! Great job.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Thanks Drifter... I'm looking at a "ribbed" rear fender from a Triumph or BSA that will hug the back tire and terminate just beyond the back of the seat. The reason I haven't mounted one yet is because I plan to purchase the "old school" Firestone Deluxe Champion blackwalls from Coker. Not sure if I want to mount the fender before I get my tires, but I know what you're talking about... Wink

Thank you for the compliments! The old European style is exactly what I was going for. In fact, I have a picture in my garage of a 1933 Zundapp that I modeled the bike after. LOVE those old hunks of metal!

drifter wrote:
Yamaha Dave....that is a dynamite rigid! You rarely see a rigid with clubman's bars and they do look right on that one! GO with a correct type rear fender, (maybe a reversed FLH front fender) but not one of the Softail styled ducktail fenders. They wouldn't look good on a classic Brit looking rigid. Even a simple flat style rear fender would look good. At any rate, Two Thumbs Up! Great job.

Dave
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

John, Thank you for the great advise. I'm finding that the Clymer's manual isn't much good for an 81 special. So so so many conflicting specifications!

I'll re-adjust the floats to 22mm. In fact, I'm ordering a full rebuild kit from Mike's XS and plan to re-jet the carbs for my (beautiful) K&M XS filters.

Got any suggestions on the jets?

xsjohn wrote:
27MM on the floats would be the 80 brass floats only....the black plastic floats says 22mm ...........every plastic set I have seen in here were 23MM......

If those are plastic floats at 27mm something bad is going to happen......

And on the plastic floats you should measure at the far end of the top ledge.....not the next one down that is rounded out.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

easytravel wrote:
Love it! totally rocks. What's the stretch on the weld on hard tail? Very clean style, white grips and all...

It's the standard TC Brothers weld-on. I believe it's stretched less than 2 inches. I had to use a 110 link chain.

I gotta tell ya though... I HIGHLY recommend TC Brothers to ANYONE considering this type of project. Glad you liked the white grips. My wife is still trying to digest them...
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Blacktooth_Grin wrote:
Got any close ups of your mid controls?

Actually... The only mid control is the rear brake. (No front brakes on this one!)

Shifter is a semi-suicide located on the right hand side. I have to release the throttle to shift, but for safety reasons, I still wanted the clutch located on the bar.
Photo Gallery
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Good looking scoot, you did nice job, is it possible to show more pics of your shifter set up, I'd like to see how you've done it.
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

madskills wrote:
Good looking scoot, you did nice job, is it possible to show more pics of your shifter set up, I'd like to see how you've done it.

Thank you...

The shifter is just a closet wrench run through a section of pipe. The shaft is welded to a section of angle iron and bolted to those two small tubes that were originally connected to the down-tube on the frame. I had left them thinking that they would be a good place to mount the fake oil can. I'm really glad I did!

On the shifter shaft itself... I welded a 3/8 rod to the head of the closet wrench and on the other side I used an eye-bolt with a nut welded in the middle. It was just a temporary set up until I could find some tie-rod ends, but it worked so well I decided to keep it.

I'll try to find a closer picture.
Photo Gallery
VoodooXS

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Hey yamaha_dave you're making me feel bad Ive had my bike a month and it's nowhere near the finish line like yours is. and I must say your bike is almost the exact style Im shooting for. simple with great lines. and it even has my name! hahaha I'd actually love tosee more pics of your right hand suicide shift as well. I've been trying to research that after I saw a bike with a right hand shift. I also want to keep the hand clutch but havn't found much good info.

We're neighbors it seems, hope I see that bike rolling around some time.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Very clean and simple! I really dig that headlight.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Looking good, I took my 81 XS650 in a different direction but hope to find another 650 for a bobber. I like that headlamp setup, what style is it? Did you use the original wiring harness when you put it back together? I still am trying to decide on a seat. I have a cafe style tail section but need to modify the frame. I'm a novice at this so I'm a bit timid about cutting the frame. May look for a brat seat. Any suggestions??

yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

cretin75xs650 wrote:
Looking good, I took my 81 XS650 in a different direction but hope to find another 650 for a bobber. I like that headlamp setup, what style is it? Did you use the original wiring harness when you put it back together? I still am trying to decide on a seat. I have a cafe style tail section but need to modify the frame. I'm a novice at this so I'm a bit timid about cutting the frame. May look for a brat seat. Any suggestions??

I would definitely go with a flat-tracker/cafe style seat and maybe even a toaster tank! You have a GREAT looking bike there! Very clean...

The wiring harness on my bobber is home-made and very minimal. If you plan to use blinkers and running lights, I would suggest using the original harness or purchase a new one from Mike's XS.

Good looking project though!
Photo Gallery
engineer36

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

great looking project. excuse my ignorance but what is a closet wrench, i too would like more details on the suicide shifter, i think it is ausome
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

engineer36 wrote:
great looking project. excuse my ignorance but what is a closet wrench, i too would like more details on the suicide shifter, i think it is ausome

It is also referred to as a "basin wrench" and you can find it at Lowe's for around $15.

I'll provide some close-up shots tomorrow. It's a pretty simple set up!
Photo Gallery
oms1981

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

someone else mentioned it too, but I LOVE the headlight. What is it/where is it from?
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

"Thank you for the compliments! The old European style is exactly what I was going for. In fact, I have a picture in my garage of a 1933 Zundapp that I modeled the bike after. LOVE those old hunks of metal!" "33" Zundapp? you sure about that? LOL.... nice job Wink

cimg1341.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.21 KB
 Viewed:  464 Time(s)

cimg1341.jpg

604505-r1-019-8_008-(large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.54 KB
 Viewed:  761 Time(s)

604505-r1-019-8_008-(large).jpg

resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.23 KB
 Viewed:  1825 Time(s)

resized.jpg

1980xsRider

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: First custom project ever!... Meet the VOODOO CHILD!

Gordon,

That is arguably one of thw sweetest rides I have seen. I have visited your site with regards to pipes, I'd add the snake charmers to this setup otherwise it is flawless. Did you do the hardtail yourself or did you use a prefab one?

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2