650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > brakes wont bleed

brakes wont bleed
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
chazz

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 12:56 pm    Post subject: brakes wont bleed

been trying to bleed my brakes but i cant get any pressure into them,all that happens is the fluid comes out from under the bleed nipples when i slacken them off to do the brakes do they have a seal on the nipple that i may of discarded cheers chazz
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes wont bleed

I've had good luck reverse bleeding mine. Use one of those fluid syringes, like that are used for measuring out 2 cycle oil and such, with a length of clear tubing on it. Wrap a couple layers of teflon tape around the threads of your bleader screw so no fluid or air slips past the threads, attach the hose from the syringe full of clean brake fluid to bleeder screw, then with the screw loose about a half turn or so, force the brake fluid thru the bleeder screw UP to the master cylinder... air rises remember... Also, try cracking loose the banjo fittings at the hose connections one at a time as you push the lever in... sometimes the air gets trapped in the fittings.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes wont bleed

A similar method but less messy is to:

1. Remove the cover on the Master Cylinder
2. Remove the caliper and hold it with the piston facing down.
3. Gently pump the piston out a bit with the brake lever.
4.Then, squeze the piston in gently to force the fluid and air up into the MC where the air will exit.

Repeat this more than a few times and you will get a rock hard lever with very little movement.

Last edited by pamcopete on March 21, 2009, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes wont bleed

That should do it. If for some reason it doesnt you could try removing the resovoir cap and taping the brake lever to the grip & leaving it overnight so's the air rises up through the system ...
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes wont bleed

XS1961, that does'nt work because when you squeeze the lever thepiston cap is past the fluid hole. What I did was bleed the master first into a container(old brake fluid pint worked well).Then I finnished with the caliper.It take's a little bit of time(15-20 min.) because you have to build up residual pressure in the line & master.Mine is solid as a rock,& free as a bird released.I can lock up the front wheel, scary as Hell!!! P.S.when you change out your pad's,use a rubber band to hold the lever 'on' so fluid won't drip out the end. Shocked Chaz, my original bleeder was over tightend by the p.o.,so it wouldn't seal in the bleeder bore.Squishedthe hole almost shut & cocked the seat end over.

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1