650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Alcohol and power tools...

Alcohol and power tools...
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Modemcyclist

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Alcohol and power tools...

Not working on the bike, just doing home improvements. My bride's out with the car, so in the middle of the project I figger I'll run her Honda 50 Metropolitan down to 7 Eleven to keep the carb from gummin up. I come back with a 6pack of Yengling Black&Tan. 5 bottles later, I'm runnin a 6ft 1X6 across the table saw. Since I'm mostly a metal guy, my experience with wood is limited. Surprise! Those stories of "kickback" we got in shop class were no joke...

kickback3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.53 KB
 Viewed:  119 Time(s)

kickback3.jpg

kickback2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.74 KB
 Viewed:  109 Time(s)

kickback2.jpg

kickback1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.94 KB
 Viewed:  121 Time(s)

kickback1.jpg

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

Man... I think we are related...

No injuries I hope?

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
Modemcyclist

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

No injuries except to the garage wall...
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

Shocked
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

Sucker flew a fair distance. Lucky you didn't get seriously hurt. I'd stick to metal if I was you.

I'll be looking at the Chesapeake VA craigslist for a bargain table saw.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

Wow! "No injury" must mean that your wife doesn't know yet, right? Laughing

That wood stuff is dangerous! I'm glad all is well--you didn't spill any beer, did you? Wink

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Modemcyclist

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

No spillage of any kind; blood, beer or tears. As for my bride, she's told me more than once that one of the attractions is the bad boy black leather jacket thing she thinks I have going. She's always been very understanding when I do stupid stuff. God Bless her!

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

You don't have to tell me about how dangerous a table saw can be, in October of this last year while doing something I've done many times(dropping the board down on the blade), the board bound up and my left hand went down on the blade. I was fortunate that the blade was only up 3/8 of an inch or I probably would have had lost some fingers. What I was left with was 10 stitches in my thumb, 3 in my index, and 5 in my middle finger, so there were a total of 18 stitches.

I am a carpenter by trade and am very experienced on a table saw, though this was done at home with no alcohol in me and should serve as a reminder to all to becareful as it only takes a split second to mess yourself up badly.

I know many of you will understand when I say this, one of the things I worried most about after my accident was being able to ride and work on my bikes(I was very thankful for my trusty trail 90)as motorcycle are such a big part of my life.
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

Years ago when I was younger and dumber.........

Had a magnum long range rifle shooting competition the next morning and having a young son I set my powder on the steps outside for a few minutes in a bowl...........meanwhile it sprinkled just a bit on the last of my powder...grrrr

After moaning for hours and drinking a few to many beers I had a brainstorm.......I'll heat it a bit and dry it in the microwave......after 6-8 beers it sounded like a good Idea.......Didn't have a working stove at the time.......

15 seconds of holding my breath and ding.......great.......checked the powder and it was warm dry.......2 more beers later.....idea...15 more seconds to be sure.........counting 12-13- headed toward the microwave and a huge ball of fire headed across the kitchen and turned up on the ceiling right in front of my noise .......smoked the entire house ......out of the smoke came the wife from the back of the house...........well you how that turned out....didn't know she knew all those words......missed the shooting contest anyway.......and other things for a while.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

not to long ago i was preaty well ripped shooting my potato gun. then it wouldn't fire. so stupid me looked right in the chamber where u put the hair spray and hit the grill igniter to see if it was sparking. burnt off all my facial hair and some on top. i looked realy silly for some time with no eyebrows. i could smell better with no nose hairs though Laughing
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

SNAP thats got scare ya a bit !
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

Where I worked once a time-served chippy (he'd been a joiner with the company for 27 years) turned up for work after having a pint of mild one hot lunchtime ,the boss smelt his breath and they sacked him on the spot !!
Poor bugger..Half pint of mild has about as much alcohol as a mouthrinse..

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
thorshammer

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

They make a funny little safty thing with teeth on it to stop kickback on a table saw. I got mine after I took the end of my finger off, now I just have to figger out how to put it on.
wood-z

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Alcohol and power tools...

2 weeks before my wedding,I was power washing my garage for to paint ( the reception was to be at our house). I'd had a few beers but was not trashed by any stretch ( and how in the world would one hurt oneself w/ a power washer? It's not a chain saw!). Well as I washed above the garage door, the wind was blowing spray back in my face- as i couldn't see what the heck I was washing, I stepped back a bit, and a bit more...tripped over the power washer and as I fell, one of the two rods that you hang the rolled up hose on impaled my right knee joint - under the kneecap - all the way thru! upon completing my graceful dismount, the rod ripped upward about 4" and slid back out of my knee. not unexpectedly,I was bleeding profusely. Of course I stopped the bleeding/ ER trip/ 11 stitches and a tied artery ( $1200.00). And absolutely no ligament damage? I figure the odds of falling in such a manner must be 10,000/1- and the odds of not gutting my knee were at least that again. Oh! almost forgot- when the nurse was trying to wash the wound, the arterie opened up and squirted her in the face! She 'EEEEKEEED!!!' and ran out of my room, damn near bled out unattended! (probably only 200/1) How would you calculate the three combined odds? 200,000,000/1 ? Fortunately, garage got painted,no crutches for the wedding, the reception was awesome!,AND she's still here! well, the knee does get sore...Go figure...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1