650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Stock Parts > > heritage special new ruby red?

heritage special new ruby red?
    Forum Index -> Stock Parts
gggGary

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 11:48 am    Post subject: heritage special new ruby red?

I am doing a mild restore on an 83 Heritage Special. It is, as are all I have seen, black. My wife really likes red! Does anyone know of a US Heritage special that really was "new ruby red"? Anyone know the color code for new ruby red, ie from Dupont or other current paint maker? Is new ruby red a solid color or a metallic, clear coat color? is this the color that was on the 80 special? Thanks for any light shed on this.
gggGary
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Here is an 80 of mine......original paint except the fairing that came on it from Yamaha which I had it painted a few years ago and it came out a bit darker than the sides and tank.........really not as dark as the picture because of the sun.......tried the silver badges.....painted them .....brightened things up a bit.........67 thousand miles on it...picture was this summer.......

xsjohn

bars.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.53 KB
 Viewed:  188 Time(s)

bars.jpg

my 80.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.34 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

my 80.jpg

my bike 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  290.63 KB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

my bike 3.jpg

Photo Gallery
gggGary

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Thanks for that! Is that a metallic red? I had an 80 or 81 last summer it was metallic red, badly faded on the side covers but tank was still a fairly dark red.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Doesn't have any flakes in it that I can see..and if so they are very tiny...kind of a candy color if you know what I mean.....maybe if you know someone or can do it yourself an auto paint would be good......with a clear coat.....the creep charged me 160 bucks to paint the fairing and I did the prep.........like to do things myself but a god paint job is not easy under the shade tree......plan to repaint someday but for now it's good enough and runs perfect....the candy colors are expensive........if it works don't fix it kinda thing.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
gggGary

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

yeah like you said a silver base coat and candy red over. The side covers were faded to silver I used the spray bomb candy red that Krylon or one of those guys sells but I had repainted an 82 vision with it. My wife parked it in the sun each day and it faded to a sickly orange in a matter of months, Yuck. So this one will be a real paint job. I have done em but will probably find a shop to do this. By the time I buy all the primers, reducer, clear, siver base, kandy etc. a pro will be cheaper.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

gggGary

Here is an example of New Ruby Red on my '81/H Special II.

and a Real Ruby........
Available on '83/SK and '84/SL models as well.

Last edited by pamcopete on January 21, 2009, 11:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Man, that looks more like a purple pamcopete.......
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Here is a picture of a Real Ruby.........Red

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Pete;
I like the design of the luggage rack/backrest on your bike. The way the backrest adjusts up to the drivers back would be ideal for long trips. Do you know the brand name by any chance?
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

RG

Well...........no......but I think that member scotts has one very similar for sale. I like it with my "poor mans" highway pegs on longer trips.

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Retired Gent...IM or email me. I have a backrest.
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

pamcopete wrote:
Here is a picture of a Real Ruby.........Red

It is a real ruby perhaps, but not an ideal color. The perfect ruby color is "pigeon's blood red".

Dave (former goldsmith/jeweller/watchmaker)

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
gggGary

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Hey thanks for the photo! Truth be told, I was hoping for the pigeons blood red but Ruby is what Ruby are. gggGary Now to decide black or ruby..........
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Well, here's a Pigeon Blood Red Ruby:

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Much better Pamcopete. Rubies are nice, but I still prefer gold topaz, fire and black opal and alexandrite.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

Found a Dark Red Garnet rattle can at Advance Auto that comes pretty close to the New Ruby Red. Used it on my '83 Special tank. , used Rustoleum black on the standard tank.
whyaskwhy

PostPosted: January 25, 2009, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: heritage special new ruby red?

gggGary

When I purchased my '83 Hertiage, I had to chose between a black one or one looked to be a "burgundy". I went with the black. They were new and were sitting side by side on the dealers floor.

Ruby colors shown on previously posted comments don't look right to me. The "New Ruby Red" on the '80 bike almost looks right for '83.

Someone on this site should be able to nail it exact for you.

whyaskwhy

'55 BSA Golden Flash
'74 Yamaha Enduro
'83 Hertiage

Forum Index -> Stock Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1