650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Serious Engine Rebuild...

Serious Engine Rebuild...
    Forum Index -> Engine
mseriously

PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Serious Engine Rebuild...

So, I have a 650, go figure...ha.

Engine seems to run fine, minimal oil leaks, carbs need tuned and the electrical system is completely crap. I'm in the process of tearing it down to restore...the more I look at the engine, the more I realize I might be able to do a rebuild?

For reference, I'm 26, farm kid, mechanically inclined. So, methinks I want to rebuild with a big bore kit. What do I need to know? What am I getting myself into? Is it a matter of tearing down and putting it back together with the help of the manual? What are the insider secrets? Cam upgrade? Oil cooler upgrade? Hydraulic clutch? There is soooo much out there.

The idea of a light, stripped down old bike with the possibility of 65hp at the rear wheel seems AWESOME to me. Any and all wisdom is welcome...

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

mseriously wrote:
Engine seems to run fine, minimal oil leaks, carbs need tuned and the electrical system is completely crap.
That just sounds like/describes most of them on the road Wink
Nice looking stocker you've got there.

PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Just get it running and ride it. IF it needed a rebuild to run then go ahead, but just for the sake of doing it?
They are easy to take apart and put back together but I do it out of necessity and have a machinist for the spec stuff. However, I do have a spare engine that just may become a big bore someday, HA!
Yeah, really nice stocker.
Find somebodys' chop project that they've lost interest in if you want to cut something up..

mseriously

PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

nj1639 wrote:
Just get it running and ride it. IF it needed a rebuild to run then go ahead, but just for the sake of doing it?
They are easy to take apart and put back together but I do it out of necessity and have a machinist for the spec stuff. However, I do have a spare engine that just may become a big bore someday, HA!
Yeah, really nice stocker.
Find somebodys' chop project that they've lost interest in if you want to cut something up..
Not necessarily SOLD on cutting it up.

I'm coming from the frame of mind that it'd be a "sleeper" so to speak. Just want to know if it's a matter of buying a big bore kit from Mikes XS and going with it, or am I gonna be in need of someone with machining skills...

PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Yeah, a sleeper is cool, know what you mean.
There were some threads on the big bore. Seem to recall that it's not just a swap out or else I'd be doing it....well, that and the cost.
Was the Dude doing a big bore? Hmmm.

nj1639

PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Thread on the Dudes big bore ?'s.
www.650rider.com/index...pic&t=4225

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

There was one here locally on craigslist that looked like that. I should have bought it in hindsight....

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
mseriously

PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Thanks for that engine rebuild link...

I was thinking this would be similar to rebuilding a 350 Chevy motor for some pep...you know put some different heads on it, pistons, etc and install after I get the machining done by someone else.

But after looking around, I'm noticing that the big bore kit calls for a different cam and a bit of involved machining/installing. I can see how you might want to rephase to reduce vibration...kinda like either go all out, or don't half ass it.

Am I way off?

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

You dont need a cam, standard works fine, you dont need machining if you buy Mikes Cylinders. If you want instant wham, buy Mikes kit & bolt it on, tidy up your head if your so inclined, sort your carbs, tappets and ignition You might not get the 65 ponies you get if you go the whole 9 with cams and pumper carbs, but mid to high 50's is respectable enough.
mseriously

PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

If I do go all out, cam it, do the whole rephase...does it mess with the "reliability" that these bikes are known for?

A friend of the family had a 350 engine rebuilt that was "balanced and blueprinted" the whole nine yards...spent some good coin on it. That's been 15 years ago and this thing is still a screamer. Out pulls anything, get's beat on and still tickin.

I'm just worried that if I do the full rebuild that it might not be as reliable...

PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

""does it mess with the "reliability""

YES emphatically........my advice don't do it.......could buy a faster bike and have 2 bikes for all that......and for reliability sake and "for me" a better runner I went the other way just a bit and detuned it hoping to not have it appart so often........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
mseriously

PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

xsjohn wrote:
""does it mess with the "reliability""

YES emphatically........my advice don't do it.......could buy a faster bike and have 2 bikes for all that......and for reliability sake and "for me" a better runner I went the other way just a bit and detuned it hoping to not have it appart so often........

xsjohn
That's what I wondered...just trying to get as many opinions as I can before I make a decision.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Yes, you realy need to know what it is your after! Even with 65hp, what are you going to do- beat all the XS650's in your town? Your still going to get hosed by a CB750 SOHC you can get 100+hp out of them!

y opinion- re-phase- not necesary, wild cam-not needed. Carbs-just gotta work properly is all, doesn't realy matter what type
750 kit and some gentle head massaging- fine if your up for it.
Spend your efforts & $ on chassis improvements first. Oil cooler is a good option, hyd clutch is for people with to much time or money- no real benifit
Goodluck matey, cheers

mseriously

PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

yamaman wrote:
Yes, you realy need to know what it is your after! Even with 65hp, what are you going to do- beat all the XS650's in your town? Your still going to get hosed by a CB750 SOHC you can get 100+hp out of them!

y opinion- re-phase- not necesary, wild cam-not needed. Carbs-just gotta work properly is all, doesn't realy matter what type
750 kit and some gentle head massaging- fine if your up for it.
Spend your efforts & $ on chassis improvements first. Oil cooler is a good option, hyd clutch is for people with to much time or money- no real benifit
Goodluck matey, cheers
Good point...probably the answer I was lookin for. Not really looking for a racer, just some extra oomph. No need to do it to this bike like you and xsjohn pointed out.

If anything I'll tackle the electrical system, track down the oil leaks and tune the carbs. Just get it running right with some new exhaust as mine is all bunged up and banged to hell.

Thanks for setting me straight guys...a lot of knowledge on this board.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

My vote would be no like the others. If you need to be one of the fastest get a newer bike. You've got a nice bike that will get you where you want to go with a little maintenance and get you some compliments along the way. And as it sits, you can make the others work for it if they want to stay ahead of you.

PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

You've got a Standard model there and they're getting harder to come by. It will retain more of it's value if you keep it mostly stock and just treat it to needed minor upgrades and tweaks. That's the beauty of these bikes. You can do so many minor things to them to improve the way they run and handle.

I like to get the machine up and running close to stock with just the minimal amount of changes and new parts. I then proceed to "ride and wrench" over the next few seasons, doing upgrades one or two at a time so I can see just what effect they have. Do everything all at once and who knows which mod helped with what problem. Start on a stock or near stock machine and you'll have something to compare all the upgrades to, actually see and feel if they are improving things.

Polish up all the alloy parts, respoke the wheels, add your choice of tasteful accessories, and you end up with quite a good looking bike in my opinion. Quite a nice running and riding bike as well if you apply the little upgrades and tweaks. After 4 seasons, this is what I ended up with and I just love it ......
mseriously

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Just checking back in here...had the top end off and decided to take the motor to a guy in town for the top end rebuild. Turned out that a valve was bent.

Him being an old codger racer type...he used to own a yammy/triumph shop back in the day and tuned on trumps and yammys to race on dirt/flat tracks...told me to just rebuild it and ride the s*** out of it.

Said the Yamaha's were good racers because they were bullet proof and tough...couple changes to the chassis and some gearing would make you a competitive racer if you knew how to handle the bike.

So, I'm just repainting the frame and making a few cosmetic updates. Then I'll ride the crap out of it.

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Nice ride 5 twins. Looks like a great bike for day trips and errands in town. Which is what most of my riding is. It is so easy to get crazy but it looks like you know what you want out of a bike. How many miles on it?
mseriously

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Engine rebuilt. Updated various bushings/bearings/rebuilt forks. Frame off and repainted.

Working on rims currently, gonna put some fat old-tread style tires on it, and also working on electric to fire this thing up before it gets cold. Thanks for the heads up and giving me the straight skinny...still a lot of cleaning and buttoning up to do.

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Good to see you're still at it.
xsleo

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

Looking good. I've been doing a few mods on my 75.
Dual front disc brakes and front forks off a later bike. Rear disc brake. Pamco pete's ignition and charging system upgrades. Rewired the whole electrics. Led lighting.
Donor parts for the changes from better than 17 bikes.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
mseriously

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

xsleo wrote:
Looking good. I've been doing a few mods on my 75.
Dual front disc brakes and front forks off a later bike. Rear disc brake. Pamco pete's ignition and charging system upgrades. Rewired the whole electrics. Led lighting.
Donor parts for the changes from better than 17 bikes.
Sounds about the same for me. Pamco Pete ignition and charging system are next along with the electrics.

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious Engine Rebuild...

That and I really think the black with gold and white stripes is the best color they ever put on the bikes.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1