650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
scotts

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 4:32 pm    Post subject: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I ran across another XS on Craigslist recently and just couldn't pass it up. It's an '82 Heritage Special and has had lots of the normal repair/maintenance work done already.
It's not another "$100 Wonder", but then again this one runs! I picked it up for $700.
The P.O. got it from a family members bike shop and all the stuff I had to do on the last bike has been done, such as:
adjusted valves/set cam chain tension
rebuilt carbs
replaced transmission output shaft seal
replaced clutch pushrod shaft seal
charging brushes
new battery
new chain
new tires
new MikesXS seat

And a couple I don't fully understand:
"cleaned and rebuilt clutches"
"tranny stabilizer spring"

The P.O. was using it to commute for the last three months. The old thing runs prett good! Even though the carbs have been rebuilt, I'll probably go through them as it pops a little on initial start-up and there's no fuel filter on the tank.
The speedo (with broken needle) shows 21K. Not a bad start, huh?

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

The engine runs pretty well. I had a scare on the ride home when it cut off on me, but I found a switch under the left side cover that replaced the side stand switch. It had gotten flipped somehow. The engine is leak free and very quiet.
The side stand itself is too loose for my liking. It tends to droop a little. I'll have to get a new spring from Mikes.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

It's a shame I won't be using the new seat. These things are pretty nice!
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

And this is pretty much what I have in mind for it. Shouldn't be too hard...
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Scotts;
Real good find there scotts. That switch you found, must have been a secret engine cut-out switch...............anti-theft maybe. However, now that you've mentioned it here, the whole world knows............better re-locate it Rolling Eyes

Since the bike is an 82, could you check some wiring for me. Jayel brought up a question about the wires on the Side-stand relay. The relay is on the left side and has 4 wires. Red/white, blue/yellow, black/white, and black. I'm assuming the black wire is a ground but wiring diagram shows it connected to brown which is battery voltage. Would you put a meter or test light on the black wire at the connector to see if its grounded or not. It could also be brown in colour??
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Nice one! Every time I see a set of those rims though- bllaaahhhhh.

I'm sure you'll find a keen buyer for that seat & rack as soon as your done with it!

danno

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Dibs on the seat !
sure

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

well if you feel the same way about those rims as yamaman feels i'll take that back one off your hands..
scotts

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

sure wrote:
well if you feel the same way about those rims as yamaman feels i'll take that back one off your hands..

I'll swap you for a pair of the alloys with drum brake in the rear. Very Happy
Actually, the rims have a small amount of rust...not bad, I can polish most of it out. But someone painted the drum and the spokes, front and rear. I'm going to try some polish and paint detail and see what I can do with them.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Retired Gent, I'll go take some pics of the wiring soon. Someone got happy with spray bombs on this bike, so it's hard to tell what color some of the wires were originally. I'll get back to you on this one.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

danno wrote:
Dibs on the seat !

Someone on the 650Garage beat you by ten minutes. I'll tell you the same thing I told him. Let me box it up and get a weight on it. Shipping is a killer these days, but if he doesn't want it....
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

scotts;
No need to chase that wiring question, weekendrider checked it out for us................thanks anyway.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Looks like a steal to me. I like the look of all those spokes...as long as they are clean. Would be a bit to keep them shiny though.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

If the other guy backs out,I have a new solo seat with springs and mounting bracket that I would trade,plus I'll pay shipping on both seats.
scotts

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Disassembly has begun. The good news is that the petcock works and the tank doesn't leak. The bad news is that the carbs were leaking; at least one of them, anyway.
It appears to me that the top end may have been apart at some time. The engine came from the factory in black paint. It looks like the head and cylinders have been washed in solvent or something and there's a new(er) gasket at the base. The engine is surprisingly dry.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I had noticed a slight smell of fuel in the garage. When I puled the filter of the right carb I found the source.
It may be a needle/seat, but I suspect a diaphragm. The slides don't drop slowly like they should. I'll tear into them soon and see what's up.
There was no fuel filter on the bike and the intakes had silicone or some type of sealant on them. All of that will be remedied, too.

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Slide diaphragms won't make these leak fuel.......petcock and seat o-rings will...even after agood cleaning.....and those pods may be trouble.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Yeah, I figured that out while talking to Pamco Pete today. The diapraghms are good. I cleaned the carbs completely and checked the float level. Everything seems OK.
I don't have a punch to drive the pin out OR new needle valves, so I'll have to do that later if necessary.
And the filters are going bye-bye.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Do these look like the stock "roto-tiller" handlebars to you guys? Just painted black?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Could be......just bent upward maybe.....I refashioned my Bucks years back so they worked for me......bent mine outward by clamping them in a vise between wood....hollow pipe for leverage......and a big friend......

xsjohn

re-fashioned buckhorns.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.16 KB
 Viewed:  236 Time(s)

re-fashioned buckhorns.jpg

Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I've wondered if the chrome would crack doing that.

PostPosted: November 26, 2008, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

My chrome didn't crack and I bent them quite a bit............xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: November 27, 2008, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Yeah, bars look like they've been moved forward about an inch at their top.
Nice find and good luck. I see the '82 is missing those elusive lower side covers and plates.

Last edited by nj1639 on November 27, 2008, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
nj1639

PostPosted: November 27, 2008, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

On the carbs, I turned my inlet T facing down. So much easier to replace the line if it goes bad. Gives you a bit more line to put a filter in.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5