650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Fabricated Forward Control

Fabricated Forward Control
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
georelle

PostPosted: October 10, 2008, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Fabricated Forward Control

I have had several requests on my forward controls and doing a search while attempting to figure out the best place to put this I see there have been other inquiries on fabricating forward controls. I think mine turned out pretty good. I learned a few things along the way which may help the next guy. I basically wanted to do all the fabrication work I could on this bike because I really wanted it to be the anti-I'm-going-to-bolt-a-bunch-of-chrome-crap-on-my-harley bike. Well that and I am cheap. I got the idea, and some of the parts from a set of highway pegs that came on one of my 650's. The mounting brackets were bent however, because the PO had to bend them to fit his twointo1 exhaust. So I had to fabricate new brackets which mount to the front two motor mount frame area. I made the brackets using about 3/8" steel which was first cut with a plasma cutter then shaped with the grinder, all the work could have been done with a grinder. Since I was making new brackets I was able to get the pegs where I thought it would work the best and be most comfortable. I drilled 3/8" holes in the three corners of these brackets. I needed longer motor mount bolts so I bought some at the local hardware store. The threads were not quite right so I had to thread them down a little then trim the extra. There is about a 1/4" spacer on the top between the frame and mount to make up for the frame widening. I used a 1" bar, which I drilled a 3/8" hole through using a lathe, to connect the mounts to the shift lever. I have been told since you can get 1" rod with 3/8" hole. Good to know that would have saved some work. The shift levers I cut using a friends forward controls as a guide and did some free handing on a piece of cardboard, ok it was a box from a 12pack. It has a 1" hole drilled in it to mount to the 1"bar. It is held on the inside with a 1" collar that I bought at Graingers. It did not hold as well as I wanted with just the allen bolt clamping it, so I ended up tack welding it in place. There is a 3/8"fine thread bolt that runs through the 1" rod and into the peg mount which came off the highway pegs. There is a fender washer and another heavy washer between the rod and the peg to hold the shift lever on. I drilled some holes in the shift lever to make it look better and so it is lighter. I also drilled some holes and threaded them to mount the little shift and brake pegs on. I bought the little pegs to match the foot pegs from Jirehcycles.com. I don't remember the size thread but if you are still with me you will figure it out. The thread size was the same as the thread on the ball joint linkage going back to the brake and shifter. Each threaded through enough to put a thin jam nut on the back side. I used 5/17" rod for the linkage rods which I threaded on the ends to fit the ball joint. I don't recommend using threaded rod stock as it is not as stiff enough, and it looks like crap. You may have to cut and thread it a few times to get the brake and shift pegs just right but there is some room for fine tuning if you thread it enough. I also got the ball joints from Grainger. Don't get the ones from Jireh or other motorcycle places sure their all chrome and shiny but they are not as sturdy. I just cut off my brake and shift levers and drilled holes in them to mount the ball joint linkage to. Use thread lock everywhere and jam nuts. The first time I rode the bike my brake peg fell off. Not a good feeling when you go to step on your brakes and there is nothing there. Especially when you haven't got your front brake done yet. Luckily I could just step on the lever.
I have to give thanks to my brother who helped with the plasma and lathe work at his shop. This was most helpful but these controls can be built with out a lathe or plasma cutter. I hope the images help. Ask questions make suggestions and build your own forward controls. Click on the link (check out my gallery) below to see more pictures.

left forward.jpg
 Description:
Left control assembled, minus the ball joint and linkage.
 Filesize:  624.72 KB
 Viewed:  308 Time(s)

left forward.jpg

forwards4.jpg
 Description:
Exploded view. Actually it just hasn't been assembled yet.
 Filesize:  244.92 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

forwards4.jpg

8_08 fwd controls.jpg
 Description:
And here they are helping the bike do its' thing.
 Filesize:  210.15 KB
 Viewed:  289 Time(s)

8_08 fwd controls.jpg

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Forward Control

Georelle you should put this on the 650 wiki (Mods & Customizing), if it's all in one place it makes it easy to find and easy to tell people where to find it

650wiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

georelle

PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Forward Control

Jayel that is a good idea. I can do that. I would also like to see more information etc. on the wiki page.
G

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1