650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Pamcopete's electronic ignition
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Who , if anyone here, is running this?
On my last old metric bike , 1979 Kaw, KZ650SR I switched it over to a Dyna electronic iggy and was very very pleased. AND the most important part was it was simple enough that I was able to do it myself. Shocked Night and day difference The Boyer Bransden is kinda pricey to me for this one even though I'm sure it would be good. Pamcopete is selling his setup on ebay for 89.95 and I was wondering if anyone is using it. Ease of install etc.
xs650temp.proboards29....hread=7890
Any one with input may chime in.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

pumps; I have not used his system, but it looks to be first class. It has a lot of pluses..............simplicity,low cost, reliability, great spark. I've read that the installation is very easy, and if there are any problems, he works with you to solve them. It uses the automatic advance rod and weights for the ignition advance, but 79 and older bikes have that. I believe you can use any dual ouput coil that has around 2 to 3 ohms primary. My "points" system works very well, but if I was to go for anything else,I would buy his system.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Mine will get torn down over the winter for lots of work in the new shed (being built this Thursday). Some oil seeps fixed. Polished and relaced rims. Hopefully get it repainted and repro decals clear-coated on. Got some NOS parts to put on. Most of the stuff I already have the parts.. it's the labor that will take time. I've thought I would put electronic ignition on too.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I put a Boyer setup on my 70 Bonneville about 10 years ago and it lasted for 6 months and burnt up, maybe they are better now but I wont be spending any of my money to find out. Ill give this new a while to see how it works in the long run before buying it. Ive heard goods things about it though
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

What do you suppose is the reason it burned up?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I've had boyer on several bikes.

All I can say is...I rebuild the motors. Set the timing up properly with a strobe.

Turn the ignition on. Kick it..It starts. Period.

I just thought I'd add...that happens everytime too..not just period as in it started once LOL Smile
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Have 2 ... works great. Set it and forget it. Need advance rod non EI setup.
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I've got one, works great, only about 120 miles on it though, it's an 'occasional use' bike.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Ok fellas, you've convinced me that when I'm ready I'll go that way. Lots of stuff to do first though....

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Hey pumps; have you got your bike in the new building yet, and what work are you planning to do?
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Dont shoot the messenger, Im just telling you what happened. It was a while back maybe they are better now but you only get to hose me once. Its all electronic, I have no idea why it quit, it ran fine with the stock points afterward and the same coils just not in parrallel. Your experience may vary
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

RG, I have a chrome NOS headlight bucket(technically not correct as the 77 was a black painted part but looks SHINY). NOS meter mount bracket,NOS generator cover, UNBEND shifter to NOT scratch new generator cover... NOS side stand, used chain guard to clean up and paint or powder coat and install-(mine didn't come with one). Polish rims, hubs and re-lace with stainless spokes. Trouble shoot my high rpm cutout issue- I believe it is the advance mechanism. Possibly make mods such as Petes regulator/rectifier mod and possibly the electronic ignition too. Got a guy who'll paint it for me for a couple hundred and then I want to get the repro decals clear coated onto the bodywork. Get the grip handle welded on to the frame on the left side by the seat. Mine was sawed off when I got it. A member here generously fabricated one and sent ity to me and a firefighter I work with said he could weld it on for me.
Ends of my mufflers have some dents and I'd like to replace them too....a whole new exhaust actually would be great. The more expensive parts of this stuff will come as cash allows.....sorry you asked ? LOL

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

pumps; Looks like you have enough work there to keep you busy for a while. Yeah, I keep thinking about Pamcopete's ignition, too.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I like the idea of the electrical mods being relatively cheap and a good upgrade. I'd bet all my stuff, well maybe not the plug wires and the coil, are OEM original. Regulator, rectifier etc. The mods look easy enough I THINK and I would rather get ahead of the curve than wait for parts that were new in my junior year of high school to fail on me and leave me on the side of the road. I'm a big believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it but I am a realist too and figure I'm on borrowed time. Why not be proactive instead of reactive? There is the added benefits to the electrical system too. Better charging and spark.Plus I have you guys to hold my hand if I get stuck! :8

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: October 19, 2008, 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I made it a point to go through all my wiring, connectors, switches, every connection on the bike, before I even fired it up. I figured that would put less of a strain on all the old components. Four years and nearly 8K later and, so far so good. A neat little mod I did (also suggested by Pamcopete) that you might consider is rigging up a charge indicator light, like the "Gen" light on your car. This will tell you if something does crap out and charging stops. Here's the details .....

xs650temp.proboards29....hread=9140
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 19, 2008, 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Not a bad idea at all.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
bigcam59

PostPosted: October 19, 2008, 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I've been reading the threads on this system and it sounds promising. I have 2 questions- will it work on an '81 with electronic ignition and will it mean I can get rid of the little black box under the battery?
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 19, 2008, 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I don't know why not. You will have to get the advance rod and advance setup to add. The electronic models don't have a mechanical advance.
Some comments on the subject.
xs650temp.proboards29....hread=2305

xs650temp.proboards29....hread=7890

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: October 19, 2008, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Yes, Pete's system will work on the later models as well and would eliminate that black box under the battery tray. Everything needed fits under the little points cover, there's no extra or external black boxes. As pumps said, you will need an advance unit, rod and probably need to install the bushings in the head that the rod turns in. MikesXS sells them.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Hi, just stopped by to let you know that the PAMCO Ignition System is now available at www.mikesxs.com and to thank you for your interest in the product.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

That's good to know Pete, for sure you have helped a lot of people keep these bikes running well, due to your technical advice and innovative designs.
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

I just wanted to add that electronic ignitions of the solid state variety may be damaged when used with the older electromechanical voltage regulator and or old or damaged rectifiers.

If you want an electronic ignition to work really well for a really long time, convert to either Pamco style fully solid state reg/rect or the later all in one Units...

I was warned by others including Boyer technical that an insteady or over high voltage or spikes would damage the units or controllers.

I cant recommend using Solid state regulators in particular..longer battery life and overal total increase in electrical reliability. Available in the UK for 12 quid!
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 28, 2008, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

jake68

Well, in general it is always advisable to maintain your charging system to provide a steady and reliable voltage to the electrical system.

I can't speak for other electronic ignition systems, but the PAMCO system is protected from voltage spikes with a voltage spike suppresor. It will work fine with the elctro mechanical (relay) type stock regulators.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 29, 2008, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Well, I placed an order with Mikesxs for the Pamco ignition. Lots of people move on to the electronic ignition because they are frustrated with "points". That's not the case with me. I've been using points for a couple of years now, not to mention about 15 years in the 70s and 80s, and they have worked well for me. Just thought it was time to move up to a "high tech" set-up................more reliability, one less thing to go wrong.

I'll use it with my existing coil, which is an Accel Supercoil with a 3.5 ohm primary. I had been using a ballast resistor with the points, so as to reduce current flow through the points. I can now remove the ballast resistor and run with full current to the Accel coil. I was probably getting about 25K volts with the ballast, and expect without the ballast to have around 30K. Riding season won't start until next April, so will be awhile before I get to test it.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5