650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Wheel swap question

Wheel swap question
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
gentlemanjim

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Wheel swap question

I'd like to put 17" or 16" spoked or cast wheels on my XS650 to run modern rubber. Any experience or suggestions? Building a sort of streetfigher/street tracker look.
Photo Gallery
orangeguzzi

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel swap question

i put 17 inch wheels on my cafe bike. i used the stock front spoked hubs on both wheel assemblies. i purchased a front to rear wheel adapter kit from omars street tracker supplies. i cleaned up the front hub, sand blasted, clear coated, installed bearings and then sent the hubs to east coast wheels to have accel aluminum rims and buchannan s.s. spokes installed. i do not remember the wheel sizes at this time. i will look at my invoice and post. the end results is a very nice set of wheel. a little expensive though. i have posted some pictures of my bike on this web site. it is a red and black cafe in front of the xs 650 society bannner.

if this is not enough information to get you to where you want to go, let me know. i did no have to do any modifications to my bike. i have the stock disc brakes on the front and rear. if you have drum brakes and spoked wheels, you will not need the omar kit.
Photo Gallery
dwyatt

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel swap question

Do you know what spokes they used? I'm running 18" spoked wheels and am considering switching to 17" for better sport tire selection. I can lace them, but not sure which spokes to buy in this custom build.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel swap question

You can get pretty good tyres in 18", I've run Avon AM22-23's period tread pattern, awesome wet and dry. A tad pricey, depending on where you are! Probably wear out before the Dunlops.
Dunlop TT 100 gp's, original 70's tread pattern, very very good tyre, tops in the wet!
Dunlop TT 900 gp's modern tread design, excellent tyre, not quite up to the TT 100's in the wet but better in the dry.
I now run a TT 900 front and a TT100 rear, love it!
Not sure what 17" tyres you would run on one of these?

gentlemanjim

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel swap question

orangeguzzi wrote:
i put 17 inch wheels on my cafe bike. i used the stock front spoked hubs on both wheel assemblies. i purchased a front to rear wheel adapter kit from omars street tracker supplies. i cleaned up the front hub, sand blasted, clear coated, installed bearings and then sent the hubs to east coast wheels to have accel aluminum rims and buchannan s.s. spokes installed. i do not remember the wheel sizes at this time. i will look at my invoice and post. the end results is a very nice set of wheel. a little expensive though. i have posted some pictures of my bike on this web site. it is a red and black cafe in front of the xs 650 society bannner.

if this is not enough information to get you to where you want to go, let me know. i did no have to do any modifications to my bike. i have the stock disc brakes on the front and rear. if you have drum brakes and spoked wheels, you will not need the omar kit.

Thanks much. Do you have a link or contact info for East Caost Wheels?
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1