650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
dustin.kerber

PostPosted: June 2, 2006, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

I finally have my bike running! I went out for my first ride today and all I can say is that it is great to have a xs650! I have a 1975 xs650b and am from rural North Dakota, but am currently going to college in Fargo, ND. This is my first bike and I love it. I bought it off a family friend for $400, which is amazing, because the bike has under 7000 miles and has sat in a shop under a tarp most of its life. The one thing I will say though, is that I dont see how people can go for long trips on the xs650. Mine vibrates fiercly and after a while I just get vibrated to the point where it is almost unpleasant. I guess it has to do with it being a twin and I shouldn't worry, just a bit of an aquired taste Wink . I also have a problem with my speedometer. The 2 screws that hold on the faceplate have vibrated out. I took some whiteout and marked lines on the glass for every 10 mph from 20 to 70, so for the time being I am good. I would like to replace this though, as it vabrates loudly and looks bad, but I am having a hard time finding a new speedometer. There is no easy way to take the thing apart, so I am thinking of just using a dremel to cut a line around it, so that I can get in to fix it, then just JB weld it together. Well, I think that is all I can rant about right now. I appologise if my writing is hard to follow, but it's been a long day and I am close to sleep. Thanks for the support everyone! Glad to be a memeber!
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 3, 2006, 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Rocking man good luck on the bike! What's your major going to be?
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 3, 2006, 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Welome to the site! You find Speedos on eBay, and just about any other part, or at xs650parts.com. Enjoy the ride and yes they vibrate. I keep my road trips to 500 miles or less myself.
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 3, 2006, 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Hey Dustin, so what was the final analysis on your electrical problem. Congrats on getting to ride.
Wulf

dustin.kerber

PostPosted: June 3, 2006, 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Well, my major is Computer Science at NDSU. Once I finish my BS here, I will also transfer to another college that offers an electrical engineering minor, as NDSU only has a major. Being a farm boy, I grew up with mechanics and they are what I do to relax, so I would like to keep them as far away from my work as possible.

As far as the elctrical problems went, it started out with left side not firing and right side spark so weak that it couldn't even jump the plug gap. I called a friend at the local Yamaha dealer to see about a coil, just to see how it compared to the price on mikesxs.com. Well, after hearing it would be $83 compared to $16 on mikesxs, I decided to keep my business online. Anyways, new coil for left side, new condensors, new plug wires and caps. I also tested everything else and it was all showing good, but even with the replacements I was still getting weak spark. I ended up reaplceing the points and plugs, even though I had put new ones in the middle of last summer and the ones I had in looked to still be in god shape. Well, after putting the new ones in and setting all the gaps proper, it fired up like you wouldn't believe.

I bought this bike about 5 years ago (yea, I had this bike as a 14 year old kid, but I managed to never put it on its side) and it has always been a hard starter. I would have to kick start it for 5 minutes just to get it to fire. I regularily cleaned the carbs and all too. This spring, while I was working on the electrical I figured I would rebuild the carbs, so I got a couple rebuild kits off of mikesxs. After getting spark the other day, I put my tank back on, connected all my hoses, and put a little gas in the tank. Now I was expecting to have to kick for 5 minutes to get the carbs running with gas. I kicked once. I kicked twice and much to my surprise it fired up. Not only did it fire, but it ran beautifully. Now, I have grown up with this bike as one of my closest companions, it has always been with me... and to have it back.... was just great =).

So, in short, it turned out that I has a bad set of points. I also was having some problems with my blinker just staying solid and not blinking, and my horn not sounding good. I dismantled the blinker relay and cleaned the internal contacts. It works great now. I also dismantled the horn. There are two point contacts in there that pull together to push up the diaphram. These contacts were horribly glazed, so after getting som emery cloth in there, putting it back together, and adjusting the setting nut, it sounded great. Who needs to buy what you can fix after all?
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 3, 2006, 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Excellent job Dustin. There's nothing like the satisfaction of being able to fix something yourself. We've got a great bunch of guys around here to help you out with tech stuff. Don't ever sell your bike. I lost my first XS (long story), traded my second and I kick myself in the ass for both of them. I now have 2 more and will never let 'em go. Ride safe.
Wulf

qferret
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2006, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence

Ah...a fellow 'puter geek...

I'm currently taking online courses through Regis U in Denver. I've been worling full time in IT for 6 years and keep hitting brick walls in my career due to the lack of a degree.

Hopefully I too will soon have a ridable bike. Wink
Photo Gallery
dustin.kerber

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Well, I am done with college and I finally have a place with a garage, so I can get back to my bikes. My xs650 has been siting about 2 years, as it needs new gaskets and piston rings (left side fouls) and I haven't had room to work on. I am hoping to be able to do the tear down on that pretty soon.

I just bought 2 new bikes in the last week. Horray paying job! I got a 75' Honda CB750 chopper and a 74' Yamaha RD200.

I bought the RD200 as my wife's first bike. She is starting to get more interested as I get more bikes for myself. Haha.

That being said, does anyone know of any good community sites, such as this one, for either of those bikes? Much appreciated.

It is good to be back!
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence

Tach/Speedo repairs:
xs650temp.proboards.co...hread=6285
Photo Gallery
rhilker

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Now that I have my bike running, let the riding commence!

Another speedo repair link:

650wiki.org/index.php/...edo_repair

I've seen whole gauge clusters on ebay for like $20.00.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1