650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Newbie 650 on the block

Newbie 650 on the block
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
jojoaruba
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 6, 2008, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Newbie 650 on the block

This is great to find this forum. I did a lot of research and the 650 got the best ratings of any street bike of its size. I'm excited to be out there.
I do have a question. I was advised to put a headlight modulator on the bike because I do a lot of urban riding. I started to put it on, and I chickened out because even with all the instructions, the wiring was confusing. Does anyone out there know 1) The color of the high vs. low beam? 2) the color of the horn wire? 3) If there are two wires of the same color does it matter which one you splice?
Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
jojoaruba
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 6, 2008, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

Oh yeah, I was supposed to say something about myself.
I'm an old geezer that used to ride when I was younger. Then I started raising our kids and had to wait until they got old enough so that I could get a bike again. I'm originally from Alabama, but my wife and I have been living in PA for the past 20 years. It is great to find this forum. Hope you guys and gals won't mind all the questions I'm likely to ask.
killtrip

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

welcome to the forums..

I can't help you too much.. I'm learning the elec system myself.. but I've not heard of a headlight modulator before. Whats the purpose?

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

Welcome to the site. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a wiring diagram to find a wire with power and there are several in the headlight bucket. Use a meter or test light to pick one. Wouldn't you want your modulator wired into the headlight wiring only though?

killtrip: a headlight modulator is supposed to vary the intensity of the light during the day to "make you more conspicuous". There is some debate as to the effectiveness of it. I've no personal experience with them and don't know anyone who uses one although I have seen a few on the road.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Modulator

There are supposed to be some DOT regs that govern the use of them.
www.webbikeworld.com/M...r-regs.htm

Some of the boys in blue might not be familiar I suppose.
www.zenreich.com/ZenWe...ulator.htm

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

Hi and welcome from NY. The xs650 doesnt have the best charging system from what everyone here has said so it might be best to check and see if the modulator is even compatable with your system. I'm sure someone here will know for sure.............BG

Killtrip, if you ever had anyone with a headlight modulator following you, you would look in your rear view mirror and see what looks like the headlight pulsing. Kind of like someone flashing their lights from hi to low continuously. If he is behind you for a number of miles it actually becomes quit anoying and makes a driver want to run you over rather than avoid you...............BG

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

I have been wondering if anyone invented some sort of strobe light that could be activated for a few seconds by hitting the horn button.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

Was thinking gamma rays myself..........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

xackley wrote:
I have been wondering if anyone invented some sort of strobe light that could be activated for a few seconds by hitting the horn button.
Xackly, funny you should mention that. Many years ago when I was active in ABATE there was actually proposed legislation that would have required motorcycle riders in NY state to have a small flashing yellow light attached to their helmet. I don't recall who was the sponsor of the bill, but can you imagine something like that getting passed as a rider on a major bill (I'm told thats how stupid legislation gets past by attaching it to a major bill so it goes unnoticed) Thankfully it never got any votes or we could all be riding around like the "blue light" specials at K-mart.
Ok sorry I hijacked this post.............BG
killtrip

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

I see.. kinda makes sense to me.. Razz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

Low beam is green, high beam is yellow. Horn has brown wire suppling power and pink wire suppling a ground from the horn button.
I've never seen a modulated headlight here in Canada, and I doubt if they are of any value. The only way to ride safely is to assume no one sees you and be super defensive.
If a modulator was connected, I would think it would be connected in series with the green low beam wire in the headlight bucket.
As for the electrical/charging systems in these bikes; if contacts are kept clean and brush wear checked occasionally, the system works very well. The alternator is quite capable of charging the battery and suppling normal loads. The starting motor will also start your bike everyday of the week and many times on the weekend.
Photo Gallery
jojoaruba
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2008, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

Thanks to everyone, (esp. retired gentleman.)
I got the modulator because I read on a motorcycle safety blog that it was one of the top 5 ways to prevent an accident and a way to make sure people see you as you are coming down the road. Supposedly it is legal in the US in every state. (I guess I'll find out!) It has a sensor that turns it off automatically at night and if you flip the headlight switch from dim to bright within one second, you can manually disable it, so you don't have to use it even if it is installed. I realize there is no substitute for safe, defensive driving. (I did take the safety course first thing.)
I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. It is nice to know you are all out there somewhere.
Hope I can return the favor sometime.
Joe

jojoaruba
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2008, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 650 on the block

Oh yea, and to Xackley, this modulator will strobe for 3 seconds if you hit the horn and then it goes back to whatever high or low beam you had it on.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1