650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > neutral light

neutral light
    Forum Index -> Drive
silverfox

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 6:26 pm    Post subject: neutral light

just the other day as i was driveing around my neutral light came on and it some times flickers when im driveing it seems to be on most of the time now where should i start looking to get it working as it should Shocked
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: neutral light

The wire runs down to the engine below the carbs. It is blue. You'll need a very short phillips screwdriver to disconnect it. If your neutral light goes off I'd say the neutral switch is bad. If it stays on you have a short somewhere in the circuit.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: neutral light

Up to the 1980 model, the neutral switch only went to the neutral light via a couple of connectors.................should be easy to checkout with an ohmmeter. From 1981 to 1983 the neutral switch also feeds interlock relays..............so gets more difficult. Only way is to follow a wiring diagram, wire by wire.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: neutral light

THat's why I tell everyone the 80 was the best year.......electronic with no frills........and brass floats........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: neutral light

For sure John; some of those Yamaha engineers should have been tarred and feathered for the useless crap they put on these bikes. The side stand/ clutch /neutral switch interlock...............if a rider is not competent enough to start his bike without these interlocks, then he shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. Same thing for the "Reserve Lighting" relay..............it has no value that I can see.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: neutral light

I agree ......but the side stand has almost killed me more than numerous times....duh.....mom told me not to buy a motorcycle 45 years ago......and what's scary is... it isn't over yet..........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
silverfox

PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: neutral light

just checked it out. disconected neutral switch, light stayes on check wireing and cleaned terminals still the same what do i check now. its a 78 US SE Question
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: neutral light

You are picking up a ground on the blue wire. Disconnect the 4 pin connector coming out of the tach,that has the blue wire. Leave the blue wire disconnected at the neutral switch. Use your ohmmeter with one lead on a ground and check both terminals ( for the blue wire) in the connector for a short to ground. It must be shorted to ground one way or the other. If you find the ground is towards the alternator connector, separate that 6 pin connector and check there for the ground. It should soon be obvious where the fault is.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1