650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Started Cafe'ing my '73

Started Cafe'ing my '73
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Cool, my mistake.

That tank looks fantastic! With the decals, can you clear powdercoat over them? Also can you powdercoat over body filler, or does it have to be all metal? Just curious.
Cheers

TeeCat

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

MN_TX650 wrote:
I talked to John about the stock jetting on the TX's, and he said they ran fairly rich. I have a set of XS Performace Pods to go on once I decide on pipes. He was fairly confident the jetting would be alright for the pipes and filters.

Then that would explain why I, thus far, have not had to jet up from stock, even though I'm running "oilcan" (not conical) K&N pods and shorty reverse cones on my lass. She doesn't seem to fuss or otherwise suggest that she's lean, so I'm leaving her be.

TC
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

not conical, oilcan. Very good TC Very Happy Laughing
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

yamaman wrote:
Cool, my mistake.

That tank looks fantastic! With the decals, can you clear powdercoat over them? Also can you powdercoat over body filler, or does it have to be all metal? Just curious.
Cheers

You can use Quick-Steel to patch bad spots, and powder over that. You cannot use bondo as it will turn into a mess when heated. Small spots can be fixed with JB Weld and PC'd, but the quick-steel works better on bigger areas.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

and I guess you can powdercoat/gloss coat over the decals. I am not sure that I really want them on the tank, so I decided to hold off on the decals for now.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Well, she is a roller again! Installed the new tapered bearings in the steering stem and put the fork back together. Put the swingarm back on with new bronze bushings and pivot bolt/shaft and a set of Monza shocks from Mikes. The wheels with new skins are back on also. Found out my front sprocket is shot though Sad Going to order up a new one thru mikes this week....along with some other tidbits. Otherwise, I am diggin the look!

y switch boxes looked like crap. I was going to spray them black, but decided to try polishing them first. Hit them with a wire wheel on the Dremel, and some Wizards metal polish. They turned out pretty good! Probably going to reassemble them and run them like this for now. Will hit the mastercylinder next. Was going to replace it with an updated one, but if it polishes up half-ass, I mightt search out a rebuild kit for it!

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

since you are doing all that polishing you might want to check this clearcoat out

www.marine-paint.com/m...e=Topcoats

made by POR-15 supposed to be really good

MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Haven't got them perfect yet...but maybe when I do. Those switchboxes were only about 2 hours worth of work. Re-assembling them may actually take longer! LOL. Each switch has about 5 small parts.
JeffM

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Looking good!!! The alloy coloured tank should look really good with that seat. Height looks good with those new shocks... not too low! Thanks for sharing your info on the powdercoat, I bet there will be few of us looking into this.

You likely already know this, but both sprockets and chain should be all changed at once, or they will wear unevenly. Nickel plated chain would look really nice with the 'alloy and black' look you've got going.
aybe a bad idea, but I flipped a front sprocket over to get a bit of extra life out of it one time. The teeth were worn but not hooked, got me through and quieted things a bit until I could afford a whole set.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I had not know that about the sprocket until today. LOL. I already ordered a 530 izumi chain from mikes, so I will pick up the sprockets next. Was trying to save some $$ not replaceing everything but would rather not be stranded on the wide of the road somewheres LOL. Starting to wish I had just gone forward with the 520 conversion....but oh well. the 530 will be fine with accouple new sprockets.
JeffM

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Nothing wrong with the 530, they seem to be widely available. New chain and sprockets is easy to put off, but when it's done... you'll ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner. It will really smooth out the ride.

It's easy to lube the chain while it's off so soak it well before you install it. Having tried a few things, including chain wax and motor oil I have settled on Castrol chain lube in an aerosol, cheap and cheery.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

cool. I will check that out.
Razar

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

It's going to look really good when you get that tank on.

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Did a little more work last night. Buttoned up the switch housings. If anyone has taken apart an old switch housing, you know that there are ball bearings and springs that fly every where! LOL. Got everything slid back into place, and covered the old wires with black braided hose and some heat shrink. Wish I had taken some better before pictures, but the boxes used to be faded and wore out black paint, with a silver wire covering. MUCH better:

MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Curious what others have found....I bought a set of GB style 34mm mounting ears from Mikes, and a 7" universal chrome headlight. When I tried to mount them up, I would need about 3/4" spacers on either side of the light to make the mounting ears work? Anyone else tried this combo?

I ended up getting a new type of headlight ear to try, but wanted to see what others had found. Assuming my new ears work more like I had envisioned, these old ones will be for sale. I guess. Wish I could return them Sad
MN_TX650

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Well, I think I officially am a share holder in MikesXS LOL. Ordered up the new sprockets yesterday. Also decided to get new bolts for the rear and lock tabs....as well as a new lock tab and nut for the front. Can't imagine needing a new nut for the front sprocket, but would hate like heck to have to find one locally in a pinch! Also ordered new clutch/brake levers (one was broke, and one was rashed up), and a new front brake switch. I also found an actual TX650 fender on eBay to replace the XS/2 fender I picked up last year. The XS/2 fender bolts up, but the stays are too long. That was one piece I really wanted to keep intact. I love the looks of the vintage chrome front fenders and fender stays. Thanks to Ken (for buying my fiberglass tail piece) I was also able to get the slip-ons I had been looking at. Most of the parts should be here this week, and I will get them on this weekend Pretty Excited!!!

MN_TX650

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Got the new sprockets and chain mounted this weekend. Also tore the front end back down and installed the new TX fender and braces, headlight ears and headlight, and Tarozzi clip-ons. After getting it all bolted back up, the gauges sat WAY too high for my liking. Took it back down, and drilled new mounting holes in the gauge mount to allow me to mount it under the top tree clamp. MUCH better. Replaced the risers with some 12mm bolts and lock nuts. Installed my polished and rebuilt switch housings, and by the grace of god...got all the wiring to fit back inside the new headlight LOL. Oh, also managed to get the caliper pistons out. I had soaked them with PB blaster for most the week, and thought for sure a blast of air from my compressor would send em flying....but they did not budge! Using the recommendation of the people here, installed a grease fitting into the inlet, and used the grease gun to pop them out. Worked AWESOME! Took a while to get all the grease out of the calipers, but much slicker than compressed air. If your pistons are stuck, get yourself a fitting and pump them out. Don't F*ck with the air trick Smile But enough rambling, here are some updated pictures of the TX

Sorry for all the pictures, just can't get over how killer this is starting to look! Took the mastercylinder back off to finish polishing it this week. Just wanted to see how everything looked on the bars. Sounds like my tank is done...just needs to be buffed and shipped. Very Happy
MN_TX650

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

tank is finished!

dpmphoto

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

What kind of tank is that a 750?
rhilker

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Looks custom. NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Sano job on the wiring! One Bad A$$ Bike!
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Lookin' real good MN,that is a neat trick huh? I think if ya did that first, ya wouldn't have spent so much time dickin' with 'em. Oh well, we live & we learn. My head is so full of CRS that I'm lucky if I can remember to get up, never mind what day it is . Embarassed I am really jealous of ya,my back won't let me ride that way anymore, sure do miss it though.I put the CB750 bar's on mine, & there low enough. Couldn't stand those stupid buckhorn's that came stock.MN, again big kudo's on a job well done. Very Happy
MN_TX650

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Thanks for the nice compliments every one! The tank is an XS750 tank that I had powdercoated in Chrome. It is clear coated, which dulled the chrome down a bit...and sucks...but such is life. The chrome powder won't hold up all by it's lonesome. Can't wait to see how it all looks together!! Been taking a break from the cafe bike to get my VTX ready for the season. Will post up some pictures of that in a bit...
MN_TX650

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Here is my other baby. 2003 Honda VTX 1800cc Retro. I am constantly changing it up! Before the hot-rod bagger look, I was rocking 20" apes. The fairing is off an old harley, and the bags are from a company out of Japan. Last dyno'ed, it was running just over 100hp with gobs of torque. Like riding a lazyboy compared to how the Cafe bike will be Very Happy

Here is the same bike...2 years ago

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6