650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > weak power coming to spark plugs

weak power coming to spark plugs
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Electrical
dustin.kerber

PostPosted: May 17, 2006, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: weak power coming to spark plugs

Thanks Phred. I was planning on trying that out tomorrow, but i wasnt sure if i would mess anything up by not having it plugged in. I will give it a try tomorrow and post the results.
Photo Gallery
dustin.kerber

PostPosted: May 18, 2006, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: weak power coming to spark plugs

Well, I disconnected the alternator so that I had full voltage to my coils. I tested each side and.... no change in spark.... It is still so weak that I can barely get anything by putting a screwdriver into the plug cap and holding it ~1mm from the engine.

Back to square one. In a way, I am almost relieved, because now I know it is a component in the ignition system, and not wiring or some other electrical component.

Let me recap on the state of the ignition system components.

plugs - clean
condensor pack - new (could be faulty new ones, but I find it hard to believe that both condensors in the new pack would be bad)
left coil - new from mikesxs.com
right coil - old but worked fine up to point of bike dying
points - not burnt or pitter, testing 0 ohm from each incoming wire to engine when closed
plug wires and caps - new

I am also going to ordering some new points and plugs.

Thanks to you guys for taking such a personal interest in this... This site and you have been what really made me a fan of this bike, even if doesn't work.
Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: May 19, 2006, 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: weak power coming to spark plugs

When I first fired up my bike after hauling it home, I hooked a battery straigt to the ignition, actually rode it around the block with the battery duct-taped to the frame where the battery box used to be! Mine was pretty easy since most of the harness had been hacked up, so I just ditched what was left-simplifies troubleshooting.
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: May 23, 2006, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: weak power coming to spark plugs

Hey Dustin, any luck yet with the bike?
Wulf

dustin.kerber

PostPosted: May 24, 2006, 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: weak power coming to spark plugs

Havent had much chance to try in the last couple days. The cam chain tensioner cap imploded when I attempted to take it off... I am guessing that the last owner torqed on it with a wrench... Besides a junk yard, any idea where I could get a replacement, being as the part was discontinued?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2006, 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: weak power coming to spark plugs

see what voltage you get by jumping around the handlebar kill switch, if it's dirty you'll have weak or no spark
dustin.kerber

PostPosted: June 1, 2006, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: weak power coming to spark plugs

well... i just got done riding... yes... riding.... WAHOOOOOO!

I replaced the points and it did the trick. The funny part is that the old ones tested good and had perfect contact faces with correct gaps. I put the new ones in, though, and it fired right up. With all of the work I have done on it, carbuerator rebuilds and such, it is running better than ever before! Thank you to everyone who helped!
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2