650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > How do you remove the camshaft chain?

How do you remove the camshaft chain?
    Forum Index -> Engine
chsw

PostPosted: June 14, 2008, 1:52 pm    Post subject: How do you remove the camshaft chain?

Title says it all, upper half of the head cover is removed and everything looks good, but how do i remove the camshaft, and more importantly how do i make shure to time it properly for reassembly?
chsw

PostPosted: June 14, 2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove the camshaft chain?

Nm, got it off.
nj1639

PostPosted: June 14, 2008, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove the camshaft chain?

Do you have a manual?
chsw

PostPosted: June 15, 2008, 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove the camshaft chain?

I have an online copy of the factory manul. It said the chain had to be broken, i had been told otherwise.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 15, 2008, 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove the camshaft chain?

You can wiggle the camshaft out after removing the tensioner and the 4 bearings. To remove the chain you need to break the chain.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 15, 2008, 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove the camshaft chain?

You can wiggle the camshaft out after removing the tensioner and the 4 bearings. To remove the chain you need to break the chain.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: June 15, 2008, 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove the camshaft chain?

Yeah, there is an 'otherwise'. I take the cam chain adjuster out to get a bit of slack in the cam chain then slip the bearings off of one side, then the other. Tie a long string to the chain in case it drops down into the guts of the engine so's you can fish it back out. Then just work the cam out.
Putting it back together, watch the marks on the cam and the marks on the stator. That's were the manual really comes in handy for proper timing.You're going to find this is all pretty much 'cake'.
Once you get the cam out put a rag over that gaping middle where the chain runs so you don't drop something down there. I found a piece of the chain link attached to the sump magnet that a PO must have lost while changing out the cam chain, oops!

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1