650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > XS2 finds a home

XS2 finds a home
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
JeffM

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 7:52 pm    Post subject: XS2 finds a home

Hello,

My name is Jeff and I am from Victoria, BC, Canada. I brought an XS2 home a couple of weeks ago. I have not had it on the road yet, as it sat parked for 8 years and it needs a little of the standard tweaking; carbs overflow, petcock leaks, front brake may be sticking, needs an oil change and some new cables. Pretty minor stuff, just need to find the time! (two kids, old house, old car, job, etc).
It needs paint and the original tank (not on the bike) needs some repair. I decided I really needed to register here when I opened the site today and saw pall138's XS2. Very nice, pretty much exactly the paint job I have planned!! I like black bikes...
I have always liked the XS, and had a neighbour many years ago with a gold XS1. Never thought I would find one of the early ones. Have always liked the dirt tracker look since seeing On Any Sunday, although I don't plan on going that way with this bike. It came with an extra motor though and that has me thinking!
My current ride is a (black, of course) '72 cb350four. I have been riding it year-round, or most of the year anyway, for quite a while. Fun bike, I have personalised it a bit, but always stay with the spirit of its era. The little Honda four revs like crazy and is light and responsive, I am looking forward to experiencing the contrast with the XS with it's torquey engine.

Jeff
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Welcome brother! I hope you have as much fun on the XS!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Cool, where'd you find the bike? I remember there was one for sale up in the interior or something on craigslist not that long ago. Have fun with it!
JeffM

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Found the bike on the Naniamo Craigslist. Funny thing is I don't normally check that one, and of course wasn't really looking for another bike. I called the seller at 1000 sunday morning, he said someone was coming by at 3:30, so I jumped in the car and drove the 1 1/2 hrs to Lantzville. Did I mention I really like the early xs's? I had passed on one about ten years ago and still occasionally go 'doh'.
The owner was very cool and straight up, had couple of modern bikes in the garage and needed some space. Although it was parked for eight years, he kicked it over regularly. Started right up, no nasty noises from the motor, just a wicked snarl from the exhaust.
I saw the photo of you on the highway, excellent! Looks just faded enough to give it some character, and that looks like a smirk on your face.

J
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Jeff; hey good to see another canadian on the site and good luck with the bike. Maybe if we get enough canadians on here it will convince the americans that we do more than just run dog sleds and snowmobiles for fun.
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Retiredgentleman, how do you guys put snow chains on these bikes anyway? haha.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

"Maybe if we get enough canadians on here it will convince the americans that we do more than just run dog sleds and snowmobiles for fun."

not to mention you all live in igloos

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Usually snow free in July but yea trying to improvise some small clamp on chains Smile
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

used small #40 regular mc chain with master links to put around the rim and tire about 4" apart to go ice racing years ago, pull them tight with no air in the tire then when you blow it up they are tight (warning does eat rims, spokes) and anything else it get up against when spinning
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Think I'll cancel the idea of chains on wheels.................sounds far to dangerous............heck with my luck the chains will break and fly off and hit the igloo ice blocks, destroying my mortgage free home.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Not to mention that habit of saying "eh?" after everything...;)

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

cpotts454 wrote:
Retiredgentleman, how do you guys put snow chains on these bikes anyway? haha.

That's a question for Red Green, eh?
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Red Green, now he's a great canadian, eh. I learned how to patch up loose parts on bikes just by using duct tape...............the guys a genius.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

WD-40 and Duct tape is all you need, if it doesn't move and should, WD-40, if it moves and shouldn't, Duct tape, .... if the ancient Egyptians had duct tape the sphinx would still have its nose

Last edited by jayel on May 8, 2008, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Didn't the Egyptians wrap their mummies in duct tape? And just imagine what they would have done with Simple Green!

Is it riding weather in Calgary yet? I took my kids to Drumheller a couple of summers ago, would love to ride those roads on a bike instead of a borrowed Winnabago.

J
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

nyah some kind of muffler wrap I think .......
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

Jeffm; Calgary weather this time of year is usually OK for biking, but this year temperatures are below normal and a little rainy too. We have had several nice weekends with temps up to 20 C............that brings the bikers out for sure. July and August best months to plan a trip to Calgary. If you ride over on your bike be sure to let me know and I will give you my address so you can stop by.
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

This is a pic from a BC motorcycle shop, but not my pic:

so somebody is riding all year, but it sure isn't me. This photo is from Jean-Luc's epic arctic ocean to the tip of south america ride report over on advrider.
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

I saw a 71 on craigslist today but man is the guy asking an arm and a leg for it: vancouver.craigslist.o...48867.html

One in mint condition did sell on ebay for $6000 last summer, but this bike looks repainted to me. Could just be my screen.
JeffM

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

The bike in the ad looks really nice, but that is quite a price! I may show the ad to my significant other to show what a good deal I got, haha. I am glad I found a cheap one while I could.
I agree the paint looks like a repaint, or this bike has had a VERY sheltered life. I just found a tank at the local salvage this weekend, original red and white paint. I spent a few years in a hedge, so a little rough around the edges, a few chips and a small dent, I am going to run it as is for a while... after all its only original once, eh?
Jeff
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 finds a home

I sent the guy an email, he said it's been repainted. Mine's got all kinds of dings and scrapes and it's faded away to a very pale yellow on top of the tank and headlight bucket. I have a spare tank for it I could get painted someday but for now I don't see any point in restoring something I'm going to ride so much, it would just wear out the new stuff.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1