650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > So... when were you "ready"?

So... when were you "ready"?
    Forum Index -> All the rest
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 1:58 pm    Post subject: So... when were you "ready"?

Okay, all... not a trick question, though maybe a little of a dumb one: Embarassed

any of you have built your own bikes from next to nothing, refurbished a barn baby or weed rat, or - like me - are taking a basically sound bike from non-runner to roadworthy. So my question is... when did you feel "ready" to ride your bike with reasonable confidence for anything other than very local dial-ins?

In my case, I'm still evaluating my clutch drag to see if it's livable yet, have to sort out my front brake light and some other instrument lighting issues, am deciding whether to run signals, etc. Little stuff. And I'd like new tires sometime this season; the existing ones are not really worn exactly... just dated.

y bike, thanks to many of you, has come from a non-runner that sat on an indoor electric shelf for five years to starting on the first to third kick from cold, seems to restart start from hot, seems to idle nicely, is getting to be a real looker, imho, and I've had her around the very local area for about 30 miles of dial-in or so. But I'm still sort of getting to know her, if you get my drift. I want to take her out a bit further... maybe to work (20 miles each way)... but...

... when did you "pull the trigger"?

TC
Photo Gallery
tweedy64

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

Go for it, dont matter whether its 5 miles or 105 miles where you break down still a long push. If she rides 30 miles no reason she wont go further. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

I like your style, tweedy! Smile

Oh... forgot to mention I still need to change my clutch pushrod oil seal and the main output shaft seal... when I get the time and courage. Not "leaking"... just "weeping". But I'll feel better when it's done.

TC
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

I like to just gradually increase my radius....just to make it easir on my wife who would have to come retrieve me, but tweedy's right, I rode all over creation on Monday but then my fuel line t Failed a mile from my house. Luckily, my wife's friend was on her way to my house, My wife called her, had her bring to Richlin, buy another t and I was off and runnin again. Only thing that really sucked is that it was rush hour on the main road and everyone in traffic was gawking at me....except the dick suckers on bikes that pretended not to notice me....(I'll remember you fuckers). So, f*** it, just go for it and have a rescue plan. The other "fun thing" about XS's is that even if you ride 2000 miles one day and everything's fine, doesn't neccesarily mean the next ride will be as uneventful!!!
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

Mine was running when I got it but needed a lot of love. I spent last year learning my way around, screwing things up here and there, dealing with oil leaks, dead flasher relay, replacing cables, filters, chain, tire, little stuff. It only left me at the side of the road once and that was near the very end of the summer. (carb problem, my fault) I didn't ramp up the length of rides so much as the speed. It was a while before I even found the full throttle stop, or took it on the freeway. I never got around to fixing that flasher relay and last week it started to work again. Don't ask me how that's possible, but it now flashes good as new. I tried fixing the clutch pushrod leak but killed the first seal and the second didn't go much better. I need to take a picture of that part of my engine case because it's not flat like the pictures online, I don't know if it's even possible to change that seal cleanly on mine. Anyhow, I never got mine "perfect", it just gets a little better as I go, still drools a little, is loud as hell, but a lot of fun. I only did 700 miles last year but I'm sure I'll do more than 2000 this summer.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

I've two rides now. My little EX250 Ninja is an 06 so not much worry there and the XS but just sold my 79 KZ650 Kaw and it acted up once or twice.. My rules are take a decent tool kit including flashlight along. Extra fuses,new fuel filter, black tape/maybe some small hose clamps.Any small things you think you might need. Of course you can't carry everything . My part time gig is handyman/electrician and sometimes when I do some thing for friends and they ask how much I tell them nothing but if I call needing them to come get me just remember.......

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

These bikes are for riding TC..... Let er rip! As to the when .....too long ago to remember 1954 I guess on a Whizzer kit on a Schwinn. Maybe 20 bikes, several countries and many many states ago. Never had a bad ride
just some a helluva lot better than others.

Take that back....hit a manure spreader in the Holland in 79'.....that was a bad almost ride. Best, Blue

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

pumps wrote:
if I call needing them to come get me
The best tool in the satchel. The cell phone.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

Should enjoy the bike as much as possible, don't let it sit in the garage. Carry some tools/fuses etc and a cell phone. Might be good to have a tow rope available in your garage and show your wife/girlfriend where you keep it.
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

Guys, thanks for all the input so far! Smile

This turned out to be a good thread, imho. Smile

Incidentally, based on what a lot of you say about changing seals, (I have the seals already), I'm seriously considering checking the torque on the front sprocket nut before I actually change anything.

And I'm going to start looking for new tires. Can I run tubes in latter day bias ply like an Avon Roadrunner?

Fun thread, guys! Smile

TC
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

i say ride it! as far as towing a bike, i wouldn't do it. i have tried before, if your not careful you can run over the rope. hard to steer when towing. on your mainshaft seal,yes torque the nut down,about 75 ft/lbs. it keeps the spacer that goes thru the seal tight between the sprocket and bearing. if loose, oil will get into spacer from bearing then leak out between spacer and sprocket. torque it ,clean the area good then if you still have a leak then replace seal. on tires, most will run tubeless on a tubeless wheel, and run with a tube on tube wheels. they make them that way because they don't know weather your wheels are tube or tubeless type wheels.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 8, 2008, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So... when were you "ready"?

After bringing 8xs's back from the dead I still just get paranoid about bolts being tight and everything properly installed and adjusted usually go through it a half of dozen times before hopping on. I also have a trailer I bought out of the swap sheet set up for bikes paid like $100 for it. Never ever tow a bike behind a car or other bike, its a good way to f*** yourself up really good, even at 10 mph you can seriously injure yourself especially throwing a rope into the equation.

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1