650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > arg more springer ???

arg more springer ???
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Frames
santiablo

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 2:04 am    Post subject: arg more springer ???

yes yes i know theres abunch of these already but im still confuse from what i gather 2" under stock will fit the xs but i dont know that thats 2" under from?? i know harly but they have lots of diff bikes!!! and also i dont know any thing about bearings or axles or what all esle im going to need to do this! any one have any good ideas or has any one posted the steps in a nother thread or a blog??? thanks ev1!!!
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

i'm not sure about axles or mounting the springer's on a 650. but as far as the length the standard length of harley frontends is 31 inches. a 2 under means it's 2 inches shorter than standard, a 4 over is 4 inches over standard length. 650's use a 30 inch standard length. so the 2 under will work well and look good. if you go with a longer ,6-8-10 over you will need to get the head angle changed ''raked out'', to keep the frame level.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

well i know that but what kind of harly it 31" stock cus theres lotsa diferant modles i dont think they all have the exact same lenth forks so 2" under stock on what kind of harly?? i think its a dyna but im not sure. and i seariusly doubt that it would mount exactly the same as on a harly so what modifications would i need to preform to mount the forks on the frame and the wheel on the forks??
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

If you have a stock xs frame you would have to change the neck. Also why all the concern about what kind of hd? are you using an hd springer or after market? if you let me know all the details of the bike I could help you more.
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

santiablo wrote:
well i know that but what kind of harly it 31" stock cus theres lotsa diferant modles i dont think they all have the exact same lenth forks so 2" under stock on what kind of harly?? i think its a dyna but im not sure. and i seariusly doubt that it would mount exactly the same as on a harly so what modifications would i need to preform to mount the forks on the frame and the wheel on the forks??

What year springer? Is it old or one of the newer ones. The newer ones are longer than the old ones (old ones ran 18" wheels). If you can post a pic or PM me I could probably help you. I spent 30 years building Harleys and swapping parts from one year to another. You will need to change the neck (threaded pipe that runds through the steering head) since the XS is smaller than H-Ds.
As for what kind of Harley, only the big twins used springers, so it would have to be that. But, like I said before, the year (age) of the springer make a big difference.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

santiablo wrote:

What year springer? Is it old or one of the newer ones. The newer ones are longer than the old ones (old ones ran 18" wheels). If you can post a pic or PM me I could probably help you. I spent 30 years building Harleys and swapping parts from one year to another. You will need to change the neck (threaded pipe that runds through the steering head) since the XS is smaller than H-Ds.
As for what kind of Harley, only the big twins used springers, so it would have to be that. But, like I said before, the year (age) of the springer make a big difference.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

well thats exactly it i dont know realy im going to get an after market one off ebay or some thingi have found some nice ones for about 400 these here are my pick so far www.calcustom.com/spri..._forks.htm they dont look bad im going to go with the black btw and how hard will it be to change the neck?
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

The stock length of Harley forks (big twin) is 31" from top bearing (upper clamp) to axle. decide your springer length from that. If the XS uses a 30" fork then you can either go with 2" over or 2" under on the springer. 2" under would make it sit 1" lower at the axle than the standerd XS fork. Ask them if they can fit an XS stem to their springers (since that are custom made) or if the stems are easily changed. If it can be changed easily (normally just a matter of removing the old one and either pressing or welding in the new one) then just remove the stock stem and replace with your XS stem. Ask them if the stem (I think what you are calling the neck) is pressed or welded in.

Dave

Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

ok more questions to help me hep you....
are you hardtailing the bike?
if you are your best bet would be just to buy a rigid frame that is already set up with a hd neck. chck out www.ardcorechoppers.com.nice frames and good prices.
the springers your looking at are from DNA and most chop shops should be able to get you one.
if you do go rigid you would want to use a 2 under it wil set the bike level which you need on an xs due to oiling and what not.
hope this helps.
this bike beow has one of those springers on it........
santiablo

PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

thats bad ass thats exactly how i want my front end save im going to try a few dif kinds of bars. no im not hard tailing it im going to put shorter shocks and a lowering kit of jcwhitny then put the solo seat n sporty tank i might break the back on it and lower that down but id have to get i done so i may not. i also wanted to leave the bike as easy to put back to stock as posible just in case i ever sell it
thanks drifter ill try askin them that!!
... so if the xs has 30" and harly is 31 should i just put the 31 n let it set an in higher in the front? or will the lowering kit compinsate n should i put the 2 under?
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

If you go with a lowering kit, then I'd go with the 2 under springer. Otherwise, the longer forks and shorter rear will make the frame (and motor) sit high in front, which may not be good for the lubrication system.

dave

Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

wouldent it be beter to set alitle bit high in the front than it would be to sit high in the back?
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

If you lower the back, and lower the front as well, then it should sit somewhere near the original level.

dave

Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

lol well that was asumed and was kinda what i was going for!!
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 17, 2008, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

if yoy use the tapered roller bearing races in the 650 neck. then use 1 inch wheel bearings for a trailor . the 1 inch bearings fit the races, and the 1 inch spindle of the springer. may have to modify the top nut to fit the 650 neck is a little longer than a H-D neck.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 17, 2008, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

Good tip xsleo!

Dave

Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 17, 2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

i found it on another thread , either on here or the www.650garageusa.com site. some where there is a thread on fitting a dna springer on a 650.

Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

sorry but that was way over my head!!! i dident get it at all!!!
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

this is my bike. This is a stock XS650 neck with a 2" UNDER DNA springer front end. The stock DNA springer measures 22" so 2" under measures at 20" which is close to the stock fork front end on an xs650. You have to swap bearings for 1" and mill down the locking nut on the springer a little. not too much work and it fits perfect. NO NEED FOR AN HD NECK OR FRAME WITH AN HD NECK.

check out our shop also, we can setup one up for you so you can bolt it on and go. www.freewebs.com/glchoppers

josh

santiablo

PostPosted: May 19, 2008, 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

that is bad ass! are you going to paint it or is it done?
i emaild the guy from the website i left n they said the stem is removeable id just have to get some one to machean it and sincen i work in a machian shop i dont expect that to be too hard lol im gona go with the black powdercoated one im geitn my rims and frame powderd black and the reast eather a real dark burn orange or like an electric blue or glow in the dark n but black lights all over it!!! lol jk
o and the gl choppers people i have seen there sight and like some of there stuff but i emaild them with several ? n they never emaild meback im gonia call them tomorrow so well se
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: May 19, 2008, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

yeah man, I work at G&L, call Rich when you get the chance he WILL return your calls and returns all emails that he gets. He may have missed yours or something. He is always on top of that s***! I am gonna paint it and I am almost finished with all fab work. Still need to fab a cross over right hand jockey shift and a few small mounts here and there and then it is ready to be torn down and painted. I'll post pics when it is finished.

oh and you do not have to machine the stem down, just buy 1" bearings they fit perfectly. You'll need to machine down the locking nut (middle one) almost in half in order to the the top tree to sit down far enough to get the top nut on and locked down. easy as that!

here is another pic:
santiablo

PostPosted: May 19, 2008, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

well i called today about 3 my time and left a messege im not sure what time zone you guys are in. i liked alot of you stuff do you mind if i ask you a few ?s
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: May 23, 2008, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

sure man, send me an email or PM:

joshjscott @ hotmail.com

later
josh
santiablo

PostPosted: June 6, 2008, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

thanks josh i got ahold of some one the next day and talked to them. i was wondering tho. i want a black springer but i want it twisted but thats way to expencive so i found a local guy that will do it for me in exchange for helpen arond his shop so obviusly im guna have to get it powderd after. but will a chrome on work or do i need to find one that is raw metal?

if so could i get one like that thru u guys a g&l?

other thing is looky what s found for the back end!!!
www.bwchoppers.com/mainsite/offset
thoughts any one?
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2