650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Engine Stand

Engine Stand
    Forum Index -> Engine
AMT82xs650

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Engine Stand

Has anyone built this engine stand?
www.650motorcycles.com/XSstand.html
If so do all of the dimensions work out correctly? Anything that I should change? I understand that I should increase the vertical legs at least an inch for additional clearance
5twins

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

Yes, add 1" to the vertical legs so the starter motor will clear the base. If you look closely at the photos in your link, you'll see that guy had to cut a "V" notch in his base for clearance. All the other specs are correct although you can make the bolt holes a tad smaller as well.

I recently found an old A/V stand in the dumpster at work so now my stand has gone "mobile". The addition of an angle iron outrigger to suspend the cam chain from and it's complete. Here's my buddy's motor on it right now .....
AMT82xs650

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad that you included a picture of your stand with an engine installed. I had envisioned the engine mounted with the front installed on the tall uprights. I couldn't figure out how that was gonna work.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

5twins -- that's a mighty nice gizmo. Looks like you use it, too. Can you tell me (just curious) what does the 650 twin weigh when you get ready to stick it back in the bike?
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

It's a chunk but one person can put it in the frame. I'd estimate 100 pounds.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

Mobile engine stand.............thats real handy..............what happened to your friends engine?
5twins

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

I think the motors weigh more like 150 lbs. They're pretty heavy and I prefer pulling or installing them with a helper. Even then, there's really nothing good to grab onto. To remedy that, I fabbed up some pipe "handles" that allow 2 of us to pick the motor up like a stretcher and wiggle it in or out of the frame. They work pretty slick.

y buddy's motor had the usual malady for these bikes - front cam chain guide going bad. It has a bit over 20K on it so we replaced the cam chain as well - it was pretty stretched out. It also got those VW elephant's foot valve adjuster screws and a port clean-up. Rings were in spec so they got re-used. Everything got thoroughly cleaned and de-carbonized. Valves were hand lapped in to cure minor leaks on the exhaust side. The intakes were done as well even though they didn't show any signs of leaking. When removed, there was minor pitting visible on the seats so they were lightly lapped to remove those.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

''''Huffin Motors'''''.....can totally relate to that.........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

Really nice, 5twins. I see you made the handles long enough, not only to pick up the engine but to slide it sideways, out of the frame, before you run out of arm reach and HAVE to set it down. Nice. Well thought out.
Cooltouch

PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

5twins wrote:
I think the motors weigh more like 150 lbs. They're pretty heavy and I prefer pulling or installing them with a helper. Even then, there's really nothing good to grab onto. To remedy that, I fabbed up some pipe "handles" that allow 2 of us to pick the motor up like a stretcher and wiggle it in or out of the frame. They work pretty slick.

I'm seldom fortunate enough to have a helper, and I have a bad back, so lifting that heavy lump is out of the question. Here's how I do it. You'll need something sturdy overhead for this, though -- I used my carport's beams.

1st -- went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap chain hoist. 2nd -- have a nylon braided tow strap.

Laid out a couple of collapsed cardboard boxes onto the floor, and then laid the bike on its side. (I'd alread loosened the engine bolts.) Removed the bolts. Wiggled the engine out of the chassis, then moved the chassis out of the way.

Then I wrapped the towing strap around the cylinder barrels so that it was pretty snug. Clipped the strap's hooks into the hoist, and hoisted away. I have a dolly that I can convert from a two-wheeler to a four wheel horizontal one, so I just lifted the motor up high enough to get it on the dolly. I transported the motor to my work table, used the hoist once again to get it up on the table, then bolted the motor down to the engine stand and tipped it upright.

To reinstall the motor, I'll reverse the above procedure. Nice thing about doing it this way is it does not strain my back, and I'm not dependent upon the whims or capabilities of a helper.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

I like that. Make gravity your friend, not the enemy.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

I like to keep mine on two wheels. In the frame and out. Wink
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Stand

All of you are very inventive . 5twins, if that is an old A/V cart that outrigger thing must be the......overhead projector! Wink

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1