650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Chain Adjust -

Chain Adjust -
    Forum Index -> Drive
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Chain Adjust -

Do you adjust the drive chain tension with the bike up on the center stand or with both wheels on the ground?

The yamaha manual says Center STand UP (bad translation?)
The Hayes Manual says - With the Bike UP on the Center stand.

I have always done - Up on the center stand - 3/4" min to 1.5" max

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Adjust -

sounds good to me, it's where mine runs, on any bike I always like to take the rear shocks loose the first chain adjustment and level the swing arm, set the chain to 1/4, 3/8 inch freeplay there then put the shocks back on and measure your freeplay again, best way to get it right
5twins

PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Adjust -

You should always sit on the bike afterwards, reach down and check the tension. Roll the bike around a bit and check it in several spots because chains stretch unevenly and there can be tight spots. It gets tighter with your weight on the bike. What seems like an ideal setting on the centerstand or sitting on both wheels may be too tight once you sit on it. If set too tight, the chain will stretch out prematurely.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Adjust -

Ok this may seem like a silly question - but when you are sitting on it - how much freeplay should there be? There defiantely won't be 3/4" - are you just saying "some" as in any freeplay?
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Adjust -

Yes, I guess I just mean "some" play when you sit on it. I've been doing it so many years I really don't have any numbers to give you, I just go by feel. You just don't want it to end up bow string tight when you sit on it, which can happen if you don't run this check. I do this with the axle just snug and the adjusters not locked down yet in case I have to make some minor changes. Your 3/4" to 1 1/2" setting on the centerstand is probably a good start, just sit on the bike afterwards to make sure you're not too tight (or loose, that can happen, too).

What you're doing with this check is simulating how the chain tension will be with you on the bike going down the road. That's when you need proper tension.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Adjust -

Thank you - when I sat on the bike I would guess (just by feel) it was about 1/4" to 1/2" of wiggle room.

Thanks for the advice

Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Adjust -

brand new chain instgalled - adjusted the chain twice after two rides. How long does the initial stretch period last? I think it's starfting to settle down down...
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Adjust -

When all that factory grease squishes out and it should settle down......maybe.....chains have been known to need adjusting....with my 18 I hear it on the shifter shaft even though I notched it out some and that tells me to get off my lazy ass and adjust it......xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1