650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"
    Forum Index -> Engine
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2008, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

OK So I bought one of those "new" Oil Sump Screen Filters with the "New and Upgraded design with perforated metal to back up the brass screen filtering element" Thinking "Hey it's the last sump filter I would ever have to buy."

WRONG - This new design blew a hole just as fast as the old design - just in a different place. (Mine went in less than 1 Year) (Broke at #1)

So rather than waste another $25-$50 on another one that will get a hole in it -- I broke out the JB weld - and modified the weak spots myself.

The Rip in mine - happened right at the end of the filter that comes to a point (#1) - the screen just opened up like a slot - and sure enough - the factory glue had let go of the screen on the 45 degree angled face. So - I JB Welded it back together.

The glue they use on these sump filters isn't worth a shoot - and lets the brass screening break loose from the frame - so I inspected every place the screen was glued to the frame and reinforced the factory glue with JB Weld at Key places (#1-#8) - namely at the corners & bends - along open areas - and where the screen met the magnets or spanned areas without the metal backing.
HEY! I thought this new design had all metal backing??? - (well it doesn't there are open areas.) (#2 shows one un-reinforced area)

Basically - I reinforced all the areas where I could anticipate a FUTURE failure - and tried to head it off!

I was careful not to cover too much of the screen with JB weld - kept it right where the screen meets the frame and just over the rip - I left PLENTY of open surface area for oil to pass through - I just wanted to Beef UP the factory glue job and seams.

LET IT DRY FOR 24 HOURS

ake sure you clean off all of the "cleaner" you use on it before you put it back in the bike! -

I'm not claiming mine is bullet proof - but before you spend money for a rip proof design that rips - you might want to invest $5 in some JB weld.

If Not You'll be sucking dirty oil.

And yes I check - JD is gas and oil proof according to their web site.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle

Last edited by jimdi on April 13, 2008, 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 12, 2008, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

Have a feeling that the originals will be easy to patch too........after 54 thou on the original and only 1 patch so far.......still wondering but holding together......don't think its the suction.......just the high velosity oil hitting it or just weak and like you mentioned a lousy bond...........it's a pretty big filter considering.....just patch it until you get pariniod and go or start over..........I did........

Good job on that new one Jim......bet it will be around a lot longer........than if you havn't paid attention to it......sucking starter gear fragments into the oil pump can't be good..........

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on April 12, 2008, 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2008, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

I definately don't understand the design of the new sump - It's like they went 80% of the way and didn't finish the job.

Their whole sales pitch was the metal reinforcement behind the brass screen to prevent "blow through" holes.

If you look at the photo closely you can see at #2 that they didn't put metal backing behind the screen - for about 3/4". Why the heck not?

Also what is with the cheap glue they used?

1 year of life is no better than the old style.

Hopefully by glueing it the right way - it will last longer.

Thanks to the guys who told me to check my sump with each oil change - (for debris) Turned out it revealed a crummy sump filter.

(I was cruising along thinking this was the last sump I would ever need)

Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2008, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

Had the bike apart for 3 days (sump plate open) it was humid here - raining (bike was in the garage).

ust have got either condensation or left over brake cleaner on the sump filter - took 3 oil changes to get my oil back from foamy and white (see picture below) - to clear with no bubbles!

Oil looks normal now (not pictured)

Photo Gallery
indyjay

PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

Did the J-B Weld trick on my OEM sump filter yesterday to fix a couple slight tears in it. It was set up almost 100% this morning and should be good to go when I get off work to put back in place.

I was amazed at the crap that was in both filters wiht only about 2K on the oil. I'm going to clean the sump one at EVERY change from now on, which I never did before.

Takes XSjohn's advice and do it. Doesn't take that long. A little extra mess, but reassuring after it's done.

Thanks for the advice, John! Cool
rsylvstr

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

is the sump filter supposed to be changed every oil filter or just checked and cleaned each time?
can you use black hi-temp instead of the gasket Mike sells?
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

I use the gasket - no sealer

I check mine once a year(mainly for rips)

you clean it - don't replace it;

Photo Gallery
rsylvstr

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix For Sump Oil Filter AKA "New and Upgraded design"

guess i better order a couple gaskets

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1