650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

Chain Buying/Replacement Questions
    Forum Index -> Drive
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

I think I need a new Chain - I am at 14K - the chain pulls away from mid part of the rear sprocket - about 1/2 roller width.

I see some use the JC whitney 530H chains - not mikes - JC $20 - Mikes $60

I don't have a chain breaker. Do I need one to knock the JCwhitney chain from 110 to 104? Or is there another way to shorten the chain?

I want the clip style master link like I have now - does that come with the JC chain?

Do I need to replace sprockets? I see some say to - my sprockets don't look that worn to me. (I don't notice any wear to the naked eye)

Can I do this without a breaker - or stretcher (JC claims they are pre-stretched)

Are mikes chains worth 2x+ as much as JC????

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

old sprockets eat new chains, replace the sprockets, if you have a grinder or a dremel tool you can cut the chain, mikes chains are highspeed motorcycle chains, jcw chains aren't as good of quality but will work they just won't last as long but if you grease/oil chain properly it will last a long time, yes the new chain will come with a master link, don't worry about a chain strecther the bike will take care of that, 2X? depends what your doing, cross country trip? I wouldn't want a 20 dollar chain, local cruising sure
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

Everyone talks about flipping the sprockets - I swear I see no noticeable wear on my sprockets.

What about JC whitney chain and flipped sprockets?

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

Ain't ready to flip yet then........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

So john - just buy the JC whitney chain - ????

No special tools required?

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

wrap the new chain onto the sprocket and do the pull test, it will show you the sprocket wear
royfisk

PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Buying/Replacement Questions

sprocket wear is generally caused by chain stretch. A dollar saved today will cost you down the road. If you put a good quality chain with high tensle stgength on such as a tsubaki on good sprockets you probably wont have to touch either again for at least 20,000 miles. If you put a low dollar chain on you will probably have to change it alot sooner and sprockets too. The tinsel stgrength covers 2 catagories #1 point which it is tested for breakage and #2 it contibutes to stretch. I have seen tsubaki chains go for unbeleivabal amounts of miles before needing adjusting. Ive seen cheap chains needing readjusting every 100 to 150 miles, and everytime you need to adjust means the links are getting longer and longer. Your sprockets start to wear the lenggth of the links.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1