650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > clutch cushion springs

clutch cushion springs
    Forum Index -> Drive
yyub

PostPosted: March 20, 2008, 9:37 am    Post subject: clutch cushion springs

Has anyone had the clutch cushion springs break or compress to the point of needing replacement? If so what were the symptoms the bike had? My drive line snatch can get really annoying when decelerating then accelerating . It's at it's worst in the first 3 gears
5twins

PostPosted: March 20, 2008, 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: clutch cushion springs

I've not had that pleasure yet but I'm already planning ahead. I got a couple clutches off eBay so I can just swap whole baskets. At $20 - $30 per clutch, this was cheaper than the repair kit. It will be easier to change out, too.
dps-rider

PostPosted: March 20, 2008, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch cushion springs

I have 2 engines, both of the baskets had broken springs. Don't know how much luck you'll have finding one without broken springs.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: March 20, 2008, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch cushion springs

That's one of the questions you ask the seller before you bid Smile Both of mine were fine.
yyub

PostPosted: March 20, 2008, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch cushion springs

I actually bit the bullet and ordered the repair kit from Mikes. I've got four XS's on the road and this is the only one that does this so I suspect they must be compressed ( I don't want to ruin any transmission parts as a result! ) Looks fairly easy to repair with the kit and I'll gain some knowledge/experience in the process
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 20, 2008, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch cushion springs

yyub wrote:
I actually bit the bullet and ordered the repair kit from Mikes. I've got four XS's on the road and this is the only one that does this so I suspect they must be compressed ( I don't want to ruin any transmission parts as a result! ) Looks fairly easy to repair with the kit and I'll gain some knowledge/experience in the process

Let us know how the install goes.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1