650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > My XS1 - What to ask?

My XS1 - What to ask?
    Forum Index -> All the rest
xsfun

PostPosted: February 8, 2008, 11:48 am    Post subject: My XS1 - What to ask?

I am going to sell my 1970 XS1 that runs decent and have clear title in hand. Speedo reads 32k but the previous owner changed the speedo out with a used one from ebay because the original stopped working, so the real miles are unkown , but he said they were much lower. Anyhow, how much should I ask for the bike?, picked up in Adams, Massachusetts 01220.

thanks
Kev

1970xs-pic4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.16 KB
 Viewed:  340 Time(s)

1970xs-pic4.jpg

1970xs-pic1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.14 KB
 Viewed:  340 Time(s)

1970xs-pic1.jpg

KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 8, 2008, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

how come someone is always selling one of these things when I don't have the money!!!!!
I sould tell you at ask to much so I can buy it later but,

if it is as good as it looks from these two pics you could ask 2000 - 2500 in the north east. Do a search on ebay and see what like items have sold for rescently. If you can wait a few months you are coming into riding season. You will always command an extra few hundred especially for a classic when you are going into the season. starting around april to end of may mid june. after that your back to normal.

good luck
P.S. I don't suppose you would take a payment plan?
Photo Gallery
xsfun

PostPosted: February 8, 2008, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

Hi Kyle, thanks for your info! I was thinking around that but wasn't sure. Yes its a good lookin bike, needs new pipes though cause a couple dings, and rear fender needs to be rechromed. Don't really want to part with it but I have a non-bike project that needs funding Sad

Layaway plan possible LOL Smile
xsfun

PostPosted: February 12, 2008, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

Well, I got an offer of 1,500, I am moving soon with no place to keep it so may have to let it go, guess I have to make a decision Sad
royfisk

PostPosted: February 12, 2008, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

xs if you can hold out its worth all of 2000 on the low and up to 2500 in the spring. I got 275 for a front wheel last summer. but id go for at least 2000.
nj1639

PostPosted: February 12, 2008, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

I remember that one being on ebay.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

Bring it over here to the UK & you'd get £2500+ ($5000+) for it ! Wink
Photo Gallery
M130cal

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?...I just bought it today

Howdy everyone, this is my first post. I just bought the XS1 shown above for a very fair price I think...1500. We weren't able to start the bike as it had not been started since last fall. We were getting sparks...after putting a few drops of gas in each cylinder, he was able to get it to start for a couple of seconds. The petcocks were leaking a bit...I'm guessing the carbs need cleaning and maybe the petcock gaskets too. Other than that, the bike is in very nice shape with almost no rust or serious corrosion. All the cables need replacing I think, but I'll try lubing them first. There are no turn signals on this '70 xs1...is that correct? I saw an xs1 pic on the Aussie club site and it had turn signals.

Anyway, I've read that they handle terribly...is that an exaggeration? I don't expect it to be like my modern R1200GS, but is it really that bad?
Cooltouch

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

Congrats, it sounds like Kev cut you a great deal.

Regarding the turn signals, check out this article:

www.biker.net/roadtest...ha_xs1.htm

You'll note that the XS1 in the article does not have them, but that the color photo insert does have them. Perhaps it might have been a mid-year thing? Dunno.

As for handling, the above review makes scant mention of handling. I have heard reports, as have many others, of the frame feeling as if it had a hinge in the middle. This wasn't improved until 1974. But I think that if you respect the bike for what it is, and not hang it all out in the twisties, you'll be fine.

Just out of curiousity, what is your bike's serial number? Last year, I came across an XS1 that was little more than a frame, motor, and front wheel. I sold it cuz it would have been too much of a project for me. But that bike was probably the earliest XS1 I'll ever come across. It's S/N was 000608, the 508th one made.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
M130cal

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

Thanks Michael...the review article was cool to read. I'm ok not having the turn signals, but I wonder if that will keep me from passing inspection here in Rhode Island. I would be registering it as an antique....hmmm...

I don't have the serial number handy, but I'll post it up here tomorrow.

I am missing the axle lug nut on the left side of the front wheel...I checked mikesxs.com, but he doesn't have it as far as I can tell. And I'm watching ebay. Does anyone have any other ideas for sources of parts like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

turn signals weren't required epuipment (federal DOT) until about 73 or so as long as they aren't on the blke shouldn't be a problem, head light always on, not until 77............front axle nut take it to a shop, see if they can find a nut to fit
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

M130cal: Here is another XS1 article I had bookmarked at Classic Bike UK that was interesting.

www.classicbike.co.uk/...293869.pdf

jayel I was under the impression that the headlight always on thing wasn't until 79? My 77 has the on/off switch for the headlight. I've a 79 Kaw KZ650 that I thought was the first year but I could be mistaken.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

several years they just ran a jumper wire rather than change the switches
M130cal

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

Thanks for the Brit article! This will be my first ever motorcycle "project" so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I need to get a service manual, I know. Anyway, I'm fairly confident the problem with my bike is lack of fuel delivery through the carbs, fuel lines and/or petcock. As soon as I get some time and decent weather, I plan to start digging into it. Can you take the carbs off without removing the tank? It looks like it would be at least easier to do so with it off, but I'd rather not hassle with that if its not necessary. Aside from getting it running, I'm going to want/need to replace some lines, find a lug nut for the front axle, and do some preventive maintenance to the brakes.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

Be warned though ,mate , the XS1 is an evil-handling bitch, might be better on your super-smooth US roads but almost unrideable on our lanes in the UK ! Wink
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

If you like to read that type of article there are several interesting ones on various classic motorcycle models on that site.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
M130cal

PostPosted: February 23, 2008, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS1 - What to ask?

To answer Michael's question, my serial number is S650-005722. Does anyone know how many XS1s were made in 70?

As far as progress goes...I am currently working on a 71 CB350K4, so once that's done (soon), then I'll work on getting this XS1 back on the road again. I have bought some parts...fuel line, filter, air filter, new kickstarter and a service manual. MikeXS has very good service by the way! But I'm guessing most of you already knew that.

Cooltouch wrote:
Congrats, it sounds like Kev cut you a great deal.

Regarding the turn signals, check out this article:

www.biker.net/roadtest...ha_xs1.htm

You'll note that the XS1 in the article does not have them, but that the color photo insert does have them. Perhaps it might have been a mid-year thing? Dunno.

As for handling, the above review makes scant mention of handling. I have heard reports, as have many others, of the frame feeling as if it had a hinge in the middle. This wasn't improved until 1974. But I think that if you respect the bike for what it is, and not hang it all out in the twisties, you'll be fine.

Just out of curiousity, what is your bike's serial number? Last year, I came across an XS1 that was little more than a frame, motor, and front wheel. I sold it cuz it would have been too much of a project for me. But that bike was probably the earliest XS1 I'll ever come across. It's S/N was 000608, the 508th one made.

Best,

ichael

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1