650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
ttmaniac

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

I just ordered a set. I'm gonna go for it.

Question....are they the same thread/jet/needle as those found in the roundslide VM series carbs?

Any other advice?
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

First off I only have the first flatsides and not any roundslides so this may not be of use to you, since you may not picking up your flatsides for $20 at a swap meet...

Still, if you have access to the Sudco carb tuning guide it will give you that info. Mine is at home in TX and I am in CA dealing with an ill in-law (beautiful bike weather out here and all I can do is watch as other guys roar by).

I did buy a couple sets of jets from Sudco years back for those original flatsides and they were cross compatible with some other of their carbs but I honestly don't remember which.

So this is probably useless crap (sorry) -- that Sudco guide is the ticket. If you can't get one quickly I should be home early Jan & could email pages.

As far as advice goes, they are very easy and forgiving to dial in. On the early models you actually have to use a 10mil wrench to equalize the carbs. You can drill em for Mecury Morse's barbs and of course his carb boots are the strongest & best. They are so forgiving to setup that I found virtually no improvement from bench synching and then going for guage vacuum equalization. I'd be interested in your experiences since I am the only guy I know using them on an XS.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
ttmaniac

PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

Hey, thanks for the response.

I hope your in-law is feeling better.

Basically, I was hoping to drop in the jets and needles from my VM roundslides right into the flats. They are going on the same bike so it would be nice if they swapped that easily. I figured I'd upgrade bolt on style with the flatslides. It seems to be what everyone on the strip uses.

Anybody else here use flatslides?
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 21, 2007, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

My pleasure. Let me know if you need a copy of the Sudco guide. I'd be happy to email scans of relevant pages if that would be of use -- it notes exactly which jets are available for each model with part#.

Also please let me know your experiences.

I don't feel that I am jetted perfectly, yet it runs so well it hardly seems worth the trouble messing with it when I have so many other bikes that run worse <g>... So I'd be interested in what you end up with on what type of motor and pipes & filters.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
ttmaniac

PostPosted: December 21, 2007, 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

Don't worry, I'll give a full report.

Actually, I want to post a report on the maxi x pipe as well once i've got some cruise time in.

If you could email me the relevant stuff that would great. No pressure, anytime would be fine. I really appreciate the offer.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: December 21, 2007, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

Got some good new and some bad news for ya. Good news first. Unless you went with the pumpers (TM33-8012 or TM36-68) the main jet series (large hex 4/042 type) and pilot jet series (VM22/210 type) are the same as your VM's. Bad news--the NJ series is different. Regular TM's take Series 389, pumpers take Series 640 (33-8012's) or Series 568 (36-68's). Maybe good, maybe bad--TM33 pumpers and TM34's take Series 5 needles, TM36's take Series 6, TM36-68's take Series 9. Don't know how selection runs for our application.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 21, 2007, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatslide Carbs: Anybody running them?

what grzld1 said, i guess <g>.

actually, let me know which flatisdes you ordered & I'll email you those parts of the Sudoc manual/guide. I think the entire Sudco volume is something like 40-50pgs.

greg

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1