650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > softail bobber project

softail bobber project
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
georelle

PostPosted: August 27, 2007, 10:25 pm    Post subject: softail bobber project

Hi
I thought I would show some pictures of my bobber project. The frame is done and is going out to the sandblaster tomorrow. The frame is a modified stock '76. The top of the rear part is where the rear shocks will mount. There is a 1/2" nut welded into the frame. I will be using the shortest shocks that Mikes had for sale 11.5" I think. The swing arm will be stock. The front fender will be the rear fender. The metal plate below the seat is where the battery will sit and the electrics will be mounted underneath, which will just be a solenoid and solid state regulator/rectifier. All out in the open. I have cut the peg mounts off and will be putting on forward controls. The front end will not have any major changes except probably no front fender, different turn indicators and a simplified instrumentation. I hope to have it painted and rolling in another 2 months.

Georelle

img_1487.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.96 KB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)

img_1487.jpg

img_1486.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.04 KB
 Viewed:  440 Time(s)

img_1486.jpg

Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Hello,
Are you followying a blueprint or do you just have a knack for designing a bike? I'm wondering how to turn my bike into something that looks like that chocolate brown chopper in Russo's gallery. Do I go into a chopper store and ask what fits my engine? Just wondering...
Your southern neighbor,
Bsquared

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

I have seen this approach before, I think it was a guy from holland, The bike came out real nice with great lines.You just chop the loop and bend down the seat rails so there on the same line with the backbone and add 4 inches to the swingarm .If I was going to build one I would definately use this method,many other attempts just dont look right to me alot of those weld on hardtails just dont flow well.
bsquared

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Thanks for the reply! I guess I have to make friends with the local blacksmith/machinist.
Peace,
Bsquared

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

I am not going off a blue print. I did what you did, I looked at as many bikes as I could and developed the idea from there. I knew I wanted to chop the stock frame and not do a hard tail. I found one on the 650 motorcycle page which was done by fred from holland.
www.650motorcycles.com...and30.html
The bike that really started it all for me I found on the Cobra web site:
www.cobrausa.com/conte...=Showbikes
Check out the Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Hot saki and the Suzuki 1400 Intruder Hod Rod. My hope is that mine will be somewhere in between the two.
I stripped the bike down to the frame and bought a grinder and started cutting. Then I bent the frame and had a friend at work do some welding and flipped him some cash. It is good to have someone with experience help you with ideas and how to do it. If you don't know a motorcycle guy car guys are pretty helpful too.
You can get a local chop shop to do some frame work. But do as much work yourself as possible those guys will charge a premium. A local welder can be very helpful and a lot less expensive. I highly recommend buying a grinder and cutting wheel for it if you are going to do any frame work yourself. Since I bought mine I use it very much and have not used a hack saw since I got the cutting wheel.
I don't know if Russo's bike is a completely different frame or if he had his stock frame hard tailed. But either can turn out a frame like that. then it's some fabrication for the fenders, seat, and a mount for the electrics and some sweat and there you have it.
I hope that helped.
Good luck with your project.

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Fred's bike is amazing! Looks great! It takes guts to cut apart a frame, that first cut must be like digging out a splinter...hurts for awhile, but you know it's gonna get better. Best wishes on your bobber and I hope to see your photos when it's done.
Peace,
Bsquared

Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

That is gonna be a great looking bobber. I agree that the sprung bikes look better than the hard tails when done right. It will be a much more comfortable ride as well. The bike you linked to at 650motorcycles Ive always thought looked like the swingarm was stretched. Are you sure you want to leave yours stock? Im really debating stretching mine, as Im over 6 foot and some times the bikes look a little small to me with the stock arm.

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Ghostryder
I agree with you on the sprung bikes. I think you are correct, it is stretched. Looking at the angle of the shocks it must be. He some additional photos on the site when he is fabricating and it kinda looks like he did some work on the swing arm. I thought about it and decided not to.... for now. I don't think it would be too hard. I would have a pro do the swing arm work then you need a longer chain, brake rod and stabilizer rod to the rear brake. Extending the swing arm will not give you more room but it will look better. Especially if you are taller. I think I will like the look of the shorter bike but I am not really sure. So I will leave it stock for now and see what it looks like when it's done.

Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

I think my biggest reason for considering the stretch is I am going to run a passenger seat. I doubt I'll use it much but I know the kids will wanna ride and Im sure the wife will like one once in awhile too. I had originally thought I would go solo but figured a pillion will keep anyone from having their feelers hurt.

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

That is a good point. Luckily for me the wife and I already have another bike, '02 Suzuki Marauder. Although my kids have asked if they can have a ride when it is done and it is not too easy to tell them no.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
oceanaxim

PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 12:27 am    Post subject: Fred from Holland's bobber...

I was blown away by Fredrick's Bobber too. I think it even looks better than a rigid, but rideable as well.
Looks like a 4-inch stretch in the swingarm, and dropped seat area.
Ive read that even a stock XS650 has a flexible swingarm, so plenty reinforcement and replacing the plastic bushings with metal bushings or bearings is highly recommended. Some guys near Seattle WA make an extended swing, it looks pretty nice, but they are really picky about the swing you send them, they dont want junk or grease covered crap for the core. I actually think they have some photos on here...
Bubba650

PostPosted: December 18, 2007, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

georelle - could you please post some current pics of your project - I really like what you did with the frame and would like to see how it is coming along. Thanks!
1970, 71, 72 Honda 175 twin Projects
Photo Gallery
Bubba650

PostPosted: December 18, 2007, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

georelle - could you please post some current pics of your project - I really like what you did with the frame and would like to see how it is coming along. Thanks!
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: December 18, 2007, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Sorry I haven't checked the site lately. I will post some pictures in the next day or two. I might have time tonight to put the tank seat and fender on and take a couple pictures. It will look more done then it is.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: December 18, 2007, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Here is the latest. It looks more done then it is. I just got all the mounts for the lights, turn signal indicators etc. done. I am now ready to start the electrical. Then finish the forward controls, front brake, spoke and polish the rims, and tank graphic. For the tank I am thinking black in the traditional bobber scallops. This will all be done before spring!
I am happy with the overall look so far.

Georelle

img_1678.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.03 KB
 Viewed:  441 Time(s)

img_1678.jpg

img_1677.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.35 KB
 Viewed:  623 Time(s)

img_1677.jpg

img_1676.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.66 KB
 Viewed:  676 Time(s)

img_1676.jpg

Photo Gallery
Bubba650

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

It's looking really good so far!!! Keep the pictures coming. Your bike represents the direction I want to go with mine really well.
Photo Gallery
Panelrodder

PostPosted: January 10, 2008, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

I am really interested in this project as well. I have a 4.5 in stretched swing arm on my bike with a solo seat, old seat frame has been cut off up to the stock mounts. I would love to cut the stubs off and clean up back end. I guess what my question is, did you go down lower than your new batter tray and cut off the vertical tubes and fab everything from there up to the shock mounts? It also looks like you adapted the shock mount tubes to the stock tubes under the seat by using a slightly larger tubing over the stock size. Is that true? Did you try and shave down the stock shock mounts or go right to custom fabrication?

-Panelrodder

PS: What seat did you get and were from?
georelle

PostPosted: January 14, 2008, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

I cut the horizontal tubes on the frame ahead of the vertical tubes a couple inches. The vertical tubes that the shocks are mounted to were cut as high as possible so the bike would sit as low as possible. For shock mounts I welded a nut inside of some pipe stock I had cut to about 1.25 inches. Then using a grinder I rounded off grooves the pipe/shock mounts would sit in the vertical frame and welded them in. The horizontal tubes I found some pipe that just fit over them and ground to fit snug to the horizontal tubes. I then heated up the horizontal tubes and bent them down. The pipe of these I then slid down to meet the vertical tubes on the frame and welded. After I painted the frame I had to weld on a plate between the horizontal tubes for the seat mount. I hope that makes sense. If you look at the pictures close you will get the idea. A longer swing arm would be good to give a little more clearance for the back fender. I bought the seat from Jirehcycles.com. It is a leather solo seat by Ultima. It cost about $50.00 Very good deal. I love it. The 3 inch springs came separate.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
Panelrodder

PostPosted: January 24, 2008, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

georelle wrote:
I cut the horizontal tubes on the frame ahead of the vertical tubes a couple inches. The vertical tubes that the shocks are mounted to were cut as high as possible so the bike would sit as low as possible. For shock mounts I welded a nut inside of some pipe stock I had cut to about 1.25 inches. Then using a grinder I rounded off grooves the pipe/shock mounts would sit in the vertical frame and welded them in. The horizontal tubes I found some pipe that just fit over them and ground to fit snug to the horizontal tubes. I then heated up the horizontal tubes and bent them down. The pipe of these I then slid down to meet the vertical tubes on the frame and welded. After I painted the frame I had to weld on a plate between the horizontal tubes for the seat mount. I hope that makes sense. If you look at the pictures close you will get the idea. A longer swing arm would be good to give a little more clearance for the back fender. I bought the seat from Jirehcycles.com. It is a leather solo seat by Ultima. It cost about $50.00 Very good deal. I love it. The 3 inch springs came separate.

Thanks for the info. My father and I have been closely studying your pics and the pics of a bike from Europe somewhere... can't remember. We think we might just have it figured out. I want to get the same seat as yours since mine is quite flat and with and angle I am would like the curve like yours to keep me in the saddle. One last question, it looks like you used the stock tank and just bent the tubes after the rear tank mount. If this is correct, how far back from the rear mount did you start the bend? (I can't quite tell from the pics) Also, did you make any relief cuts in the bottom of the tubes before bending or did you just heat and bend? Am also considering welding some kind of brace across the tubes before cutting and bending to keep things square and true... would this step really be worth the effort? Did you run into any problems with this?

-Panelrodder
georelle

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Rodder
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I am using the stock tank. I bent the tubes as close as I could to the tank mount. I didn't to a relief cut but I did grind a little off on the bottom side so it would bend where I wanted it to. Now that I've done it I don't really think that was necessary. I didn't really run into too many problems keeping it straight. My frame was a little off since the day it was made but there is not much I could do about it. It was nothing critical though. I am sure she will ride true. Another thing I have found now that I am starting the wireing and have the motor back in is that I should have left some room to run the wires between the plate I put in under the seat and the forward pipe going down. I now have to drill a hole there to route some wires. The wire should be pretty concealed between the air filters. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help.

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
Irish

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Kick ass bike, very Bratstyle. I have been wanting to do a bratsyle every since I found that site. Only trouble is I'm 6'2", I don't know, I might look like a elephant humping a football without stretching the frame.
Photo Gallery
DaveB

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

and what's so wrong with elephants humping footballs? Just get your angle grinder and go for it Wink

I am digging this bike you're doing here... nice and clean!
Irish

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

I see all the rear section has been cut off. Did you tie the frame in some where, to keep the shock towers from spreading away from each other? I see you gusseted under the seat, any where else that can't be seen in the pics?
Photo Gallery
Panelrodder

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: softail bobber project

Irish wrote:
Kick ass bike, very Bratstyle. I have been wanting to do a bratsyle every since I found that site. Only trouble is I'm 6'2", I don't know, I might look like a elephant humping a football without stretching the frame.

Now I feel a bit embarassed. I am 6' 4" and still wanna do this to my bike.... I guess I must look like that elephant!

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2