650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Electrical and Lighting > > Do you need an ignition (key)

Do you need an ignition (key)
    Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting
rokel

PostPosted: July 13, 2007, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Do you need an ignition (key)

Or can you just use the kick start. and lose the ignition.
cpotts454

PostPosted: July 13, 2007, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need an ignition (key)

If you mean remove the ignition itself. you could probably rewire it up to a on off switch. The ignition turns all power on for the bike.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 13, 2007, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need an ignition (key)

the kick start and the ignition are separate systems, if you're asking can you kick start only and remove the electric start yes lot of guys do if you're asking can you use something other than a key switch yes again a simple single pole single throw (spst) flip switch will work just tie the three wires except red together and run them thru the switch of course your lights will be always on if you do it this way unless you put in another switch for them

switch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.02 KB
 Viewed:  7074 Time(s)

switch.jpg

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Do you need an ignition (key)

Got rid of my ignition switch a long time ago.Ive got a hidden toggle-switch under the headlamp bowl ,fools everyone,I dont reckon a thief could find it in a hurry !
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need an ignition (key)

Funny you would mention that....Rode an RT1 360 in Florida for years.....One night I stopped at a bar and half way throught the first beer I decided to go out and see if I turned the gas off.....Bike was gone.....Called Police...They said they hardly ever find thim.....Went in and before I could finish the beer the phone rang....The police had my bike on the next street over.....Had a switch like yours....But all he had to do was kick it cause I left the switch on.......He was pushing it down the street when the cops got him.....

John
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need an ignition (key)

ooops...so far I hav'nt forgotten(touch wood) to flick the switch when Ive been out ! Easily done though...Flattened my battery in my garage overnight a few times 'cos Ive not remembered Embarassed
Photo Gallery
79special

PostPosted: September 15, 2007, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need an ignition (key)

I removed my igntion and put a on/off key switch on the right side of the bike. I do wish i could fiqure out a soultion where i can still use the fork lock without the original key cylinder in place.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 15, 2007, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need an ignition (key)

You can buy a new fork-lock & key from a Yam dealer( £12 last time I looked)
Drill out the pin holding the old lock
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1