650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH*T!!

Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH*T!!
    Forum Index -> Drive
natek1977
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH*T!!

Took the bike out for a ride this morning and all of a sudden she felt like she had no balls, but plenty of rpm's. Messed with the clutch lever and all of a sudden she took off like a rocket... Think i have a slipping clutch...Does it for the first couple minutes or so then comes out of it...So I go to do a clutch adjustment and cannot loosen the locknut to adjust the screw in.... it is a locknut isnt it? cause it doesnt want to budge... will heat hurt this part, cause liquid wrench,pb blaster and wd40 aint touching it. it almost looks like a complete unit but im sure it has to be a locknut isnt it? cable was just lubed, and freeplay is good so im starting here... any ideas? I should mention that im planning on going to laconia bike week on wed. and dont have time to wait for mikesxs slow shipping. any ideas would be great...thanks
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH*T!!

use a 13mm socket on the nut pull clutch lever in so cable doesn't come off inside cover it shouldn't be that tight
natek1977
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH

I removed the left sidecover, took the cable off and removed the assembly. I have it soaking in pb blaster overnight tonight. I'm gonna take it with me to work tomorrow stick it in a bench vise and try to tickle it with an impact gun lightly.... shes definately froze solid.... it has not had an adjustment since i owned it and i have put atleast 3500 miles on it.... who knows about before i owned it.... just wish mikes xs could overnight stuff... id gladly pay the extra...... was really just wondering if anyone thought heat would be a bad idea on it. wondering about the metal.... im sure its steel but it has a chinsy pot metal look to it.....does anyone know if the knockoff that mikes sells with the longer actuator actually works smoother??
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH*T!!

I'd be more inclined to split that nut it's just a common metric nut, the adjuster screw is what you don't want to booger up, don't lose the 8mm ball out of the adjuster
5twins

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH

The nut is not common and it's a 12mm socket size. It has a shouldered side that faces in. Don't use heat as the male part of the worm gear is nylon and may melt. The gentle impact method is best. Anti-seize the adjuster screw and nut if you get it out and don't tighten the nut super tight afterwards.
natek1977
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH

Thanks for the heads up guys....used the impact on it today, and it came right off with no problems.... put it all back together and adjusted it....you'd think i had a brand new clutch....... thanks guys......
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems adjusting clutch....and bike week is here!!! SH*T!!

BTW, the one at Mikes works good, but doesn't seem any easier to pull to me. Good lubed cable works better. Soaked mine in oil over night, and works great.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1