650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Just bought a 1975 XS650b
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
mseriously

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

So I'm new here. No pictures yet, but it's in great condition for 32 years old. 14,000 miles and about as original as you can get.

I pulled the carbs and cleaned the floats and blew air through it...got it as clean as I could, then bolted them back on, checked the spark plugs, turned the gas on and gave it a kick. Started on the first kick.

I've run it for a few days now and it goes alright. Needs some carb work of course. My plans are to chop it when I get the chance, but for right now I want to ride. It's a cool old bike.

One question I have though: Is there a problem with the electrical system? Any inherent troubles that they're known for? Right now the turn signals aren't working and the battery keeps going dead. (Even though it's a brand new battery).

Glad to be here and looking forward to learning some stuff. Don't know why I waited until I was 25 to buy one of these bikes. So much easier to work on than dirt bikes!
jazzyrigged

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

I've had to replace a few of the electrical components on my 78 (regulator/rectifier, bypassed my bad safety relay), but it's kind of expected on a 30 year old bike. I would get out a good multimeter and test various parts of the charging system. I know that if the voltage is too low the turn signals won't operate (from personal experience.) If you don't already have a service manual, put that on the top of your shopping list.

Other than that, welcome and these are a great bunch of guys with tons of experience fixing these classic machines.
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Many many gremlins appear on bikes that haven't been ridden in awhile. I have had my share in the 2 months I've owned mine. Problems that no one else seems to have. Get the manual like jazzy said, it is invaluble. The first repair you do, it will pay for itself. Good luck, and get some pics soon.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

generator is marginal on these old bikes you need to check your brushes and output get the manual it's a good investment
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

finally someone with a 75... yes the bikes are great looking and fun to ride.. i put a complete wiring harness on mine and have been having great success with it.. mine is an unfinished bobber project that i am slowly finishing... the wiring was all chopped up so i started from scratch... but yes after 30 some years you would expect a problem here or there...

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Thanks for the replies...

I do have the original manual with the bike, so will the service manual be something completely different? Probably find it on e-bay?

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Finally got pictures of it...

Rode it quite a bit this summer, but now it's kaput. No spark, new battery is drained. I bought a 78' Kaw 650 for the time being, (don't hold it against me, it was only 800 and a new set of tires!!!)

I'm waiting on a new motorcycle jack then I'm gonna tear into it. Restore it from the ground up, with a few modifications hopefully....

Any suggestions???

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Keep it stock................it will go up in value. If you chop it.............value likely to go down!
Photo Gallery
mseriously

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Kinda what I'm thinking...the only modifications will be motor-wise...eyeing a big bore kit/carbs/cam. Perhaps different exhaust and a lowering kit. Nothing too crazy as the motor work will be crazy enough!
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Welcome my friend. Nice looking old girl there. As RG says if you chop it value goes down. But that is up to you. Just my two cents here, since you have such a nice looking stocker, why not get her running reliable and shiny. As you make your way around you are bound to come across one that is in not so pretty of condition and ready to be chopped. I stopped and looked today at an 80 Special I saw on the roadside for $650 that I might have given $300 for if it ran. It was oh so rough but something like that would be a chop candidate.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
mseriously

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

pumps wrote:
Welcome my friend. Nice looking old girl there. As RG says if you chop it value goes down. But that is up to you. Just my two cents here, since you have such a nice looking stocker, why not get her running reliable and shiny. As you make your way around you are bound to come across one that is in not so pretty of condition and ready to be chopped. I stopped and looked today at an 80 Special I saw on the roadside for $650 that I might have given $300 for if it ran. It was oh so rough but something like that would be a chop candidate.

Good point...although, it seems even the beaters/candidates are getting more expensive! But rightly so, these things are great for beginners and advanced alike...

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be sure and post progress, and bug the hell out of the knowledgeable as well!

-Matt

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

Have two. That way you can ride one while you work on one...:) You'll be surprised how XSs just sort of pop up in your path now that you have one..."TAKE ME HOME " they seem to say!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
mseriously

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

What (repair)
manual should I have before I tear into this?

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1975 XS650b

hey another Iowa guy, welcome there are manuals on-line but if you want a good manual get the factory service manual

try here: www.650central.com/ down at the bottom click on "links" look for jean akers site www.biker.net/

jayel in southeastern iowa

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1