650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know

Would you use an Auction Feature on this wensite if it was as good as EBay?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 68 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 1:53 am    Post subject: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Hello 650 Riders,

I’m under taking a project to further build our user base and at the same time provide a venue for us to really get in to swapping bikes and bike parts. What I’m working on is a full blown Auction Feature to support us working together as a true community of XS650 enthusiasts. I have purchased the software from iLance and am in the process of learning how to use it as well as hiring a coder to build a user bridge so that all current and future members of the site will be automatically logged in to both section of the site if they log in to either one, the forums or auction section.

My goal in this venture is three fold
1. To better facilitate our member with extended site features, making 650Rider.com the premier website community for like minded bikers.
2. To provide site members a better way to exchange XS650 Bikes and Parts in the protected environment of a self policing auction venue comparable to EBay.
3. To provide a less expansive venue then the increasing cost associated with EBay.

Once setup and fully functioning a campaign will be launched to draw current EBay sellers to our website, thus expanding our user base yet again. It is my hope that the execution of this Auction Feature will be with in the next two to three months. I would like as much feed back from site members as possible on this matter. All your comments a welcome and needed to help pull this of, even if you think this a bad idea please comment as openly and honestly as you can.

As with any service there will be an administrative aspect to managing the service so there will be fees for usage. I’m considering this model as an alternative to EBay’s structure.

Subscription Based Auction Site
1. Any user that wants to Buy or Sell will pay a fee of $12 per year. This would be a once a year fee to use the Auction Feature.
2. Listing fees for small parts will be $0.15 – big parts $0.35 – Running Bikes $1.50
3. Final value fees will be low, nothing like EBay. I’m not sure yet but very low.
4. Other fees may apply but without a full understanding of the admin features I can not say yet.

Okay this is the plan – so what say you all?

Photo Gallery
BobJJ
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I think the idea is great. I spent alot of money on ebay for my 650 parts.
Photo Gallery
purduegerry

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Great idea, greater still if I can get you boys to share your precious 650 bits with us brits.
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

i also agree i have spend a good deal of money on ebay for parts

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I think it would be great to both buyer's and sellers and help a number of fellow biker's locate or sell parts and bikes.the yearly rate would be great for some users,but could deter the 1 or 2 time users from listing with your site.I wish you luck
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I'm just a noob around here still.. but you asked for opinions. Very Happy

If you want to see a really popular auction feature... make it flat rate only. That way people can use it regardless if they want to sell 1 part or 1000 parts.

Give a subscription to those people that want to sell regularly or run 'stores'. Give them the subscription and a lower flat rate, or subscription only.

Remember that the success of any auction site is the ease of use and attracting the SELLERS. If it's overly complicated either technically or price wise, it will turn people off.

JM2$C

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I agree with Xumi 100 percent on this one. He hit it right on the head as far as I'm concerned.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

It'll end up like ebay where the prices (over here at least) are going through the roof & middle-aged born again bikers with fat wallets snap up all the decent spares Evil or Very Mad
aybe better to post a requests for parts & hope that some genuine biker who just likes to see these venerable old classics on the road & not stored away as an investment will offer the required part for a sensible price..
Its got really silly over here thanks to auctions(ebay)..a non running engine in a butchered frame went for £500 ($1000) today 15 bids! Evil or Very Mad
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 4, 2007, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

After reading your comments and looking at other venues I think the auction site will run like this - please post any follow up comments:

1. Only forum board members can post items for sales.
2. A once a year $12 fee to use the auction/sale site (buyer or seller)
3. Transaction fee equal to the admins cost to process payments + 1% (on a $100 sale this would be about $2.50 processing plus $1.00 so $3.50 total)
4. Items can be listed as auctions or flat price

And once it's up and running very user that signs up has to email a link to the site to 10 other users that may want to use it - Smile well not really but that would be cool, or you could post ebay listing for 560 parts that tells users where to find this auction - did I say that - no I was just thinking it..... Smile

BUT if I can find out how NOT to pay for proccessing then there will be no fee for that but the 1% will stay as this is for my time at the key board working on all this coding stuff and the cost of the auction aoftware itself - that was about $450

Photo Gallery
650Commuter

PostPosted: July 1, 2007, 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I'd sign up today.
CornbreadRed
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 3, 2007, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I don't see the poll button, but I can say I'd be happy to pay the yearly fee.
I have 12+ motorcycles. I'm thinning the herd to include my three favorites, Moto Guzzi Quotas, (Got two), Honda 600/650(R. L's), and Yamaha 650's.

I plan to build three XS's, I have one finished, and always am searching for parts to do the other two (Based on 81SH's.)

Chip

PostPosted: July 24, 2007, 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I'll sign up! $12 a year...Yes Sir! Very Happy Very Happy
royfisk

PostPosted: July 30, 2007, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

This would be super cool , e-bay has gone overboard with its fees, and costs. If they flat rated there site , they would still get rich, but that is not good enough. Rumour has it they want to be the most profitable business in the us even over oil ALL AT OUR COST. But better then anything this would be a direct sales tool to YAMAHA 650 items and draw 650 enthusiasts. I have been moveing more parts faster on Craigs list vt. then any other web based site. Thanks Russo again you have come to bat for us. You are appreaciated.
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 31, 2007, 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Okay - looks like I have my answer based on the votes and the comments - I think it will be even cheapper then what was mentioned and be set up so users can all have their own store area too. so you can auction items or jus list them for sale.

I'm starting work back up on the coding this week and should have things reading in maybe two weeks or less - the first version of the auction section may not be the best looking but it will get there as we go. My main issues is that it fare priced and all the fuction work right. They is a lot of setup to the admin section and the billing/payment tools so I need to take it easy and make sure it's all working right.

If any one is willing to help with testing when it's ready please let me know.

Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 31, 2007, 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

WHAT DO YOU NEED HELP WITH BE HAPPY TO GIVE A HAND ON MY END.

KYLE
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 31, 2007, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Hello KYLEPRESTON,

I'm working on getting the admin configged as soon as that is done I need a few users to do "Fake" acutions with each other. I will setup a list of testers and provide a free account then what I need is for you all to do auctions and tell me what you think. If anything seems to not work or is to hard to use, in short just test it as a new user and report on how it works. Any thing that is listed/sold in the testing (if it works right) will be NOT billed.

I still working on understanding the billing and once that is done we will be ready to test.

I'll be posting the auction url in a few days and linking it to the main site, users will need to setup an account on the auction site because bridging the user accounted is way to hard and would mess up the auction user groups, well I'm sure a tip class coder could do it but there is no money for that so for now it takes it's own user/pass

Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: August 4, 2007, 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Thank to all that donated to the site - it's your help that is going to make this auction tool work. Sign up on the auction site and help me test it... It's not fully configurd yet but I need testers to sign up from differant IP addresses so I can do more testing. The user rules will be up soon along with the fees for selling/buying - NO worries it will be very cheep to use and works as good as EBay. Give me a few weeks to finish learning the admin functions and get used to working with it and we will rocking. Thanks again for the donations to the site - it helped cover the $500 bucks for the auction script!

Russo.

Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: August 6, 2007, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Looks like you're off to a nice start, Russo - I put in a few bug reports as auctions.
'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: August 17, 2007, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Did some bug fixxing this pass weekend and got the extra image feature working - the help section up and working - almost done with the fees setsup

We have about 4 more hours of admin configs to do and maybe 3 hours of documents to produce and post to the help section.

We will be sending out some newsletter emails in about the next week to invite fourmboard members to checkout the auction site and doing a few "Information" listings on ebay....

Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 4, 2008, 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

If you're going to do this, there's some things you might consider.

ost important from my perspective: Your auction is going to change this site in ways that many of us will not like at all. For one thing, it's gonna bring a wholenuther kind of people to this list. At this point, members here are benevolent -- that is, they come here for help and to help each other and to have a good time. This auction thing is gonna bring in predators like they have on e-bay. They will come here to make money and for no other reason -- e.g.: not because they are passionate about the XS650 or even about motorcycles in general.

That kind of person causes trouble. He sells poor merchandise. He makes false claims. He overcharges. He doesn't stand behind his product, etc. That kind of stuff is going to make hard feelings expressed here. Are you prepared to deal with complaints promptly and on a daily basis? Can you imagine how many e-bay has to deal with? Do you REALLY want to go there?

Don't get me wrong -- I think your auction is a good idea. It could be a money-maker for you and it could possibly help the rest of us. But I think you should keep it separate from this list. And I DO mean separate. You can sell advertising to the auctioneers, but don't let them post here.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2008, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

I bid $5
www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2008, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

>>Maybe better to post a requests for parts & hope that some genuine biker who just likes to see these venerable old classics on the road & not stored away as an investment will offer the required part for a sensible price..<<

You got it XS1961. I'm old enough to remember the old way of dealing with parts. If a brother needed a part and you had it and weren't using it, it was his. No cash, no trades, no sales,...just the knowledge that the same would apply to you when you needed a part. It also applied to working on a bike. If yours needed some work, and a brother had the skills...he did it for you. You would do the same for anyone else. Brotherhood has gone downhill a long way since then. Too many riders have no idea what brotherhood means. I miss the old days.

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Id like to see an items for sale section and an items wanted section where you could list say a gas tank wanted, 3 or so people could offer one and the buyer could state what he will pay. Definetly there has to be a difference in cost for a 1-5 times seller vs a person with a parts store who sells full time. Would this be Xs650 only or for all makes of bikes ?
woodman

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Feature Being Added To 650Ridr.com

Id like to see an items for sale section and an items wanted section where you could list say a gas tank wanted, 3 or so people could offer one and the buyer could state what he will pay. Definetly there has to be a difference in cost for a 1-5 times seller vs a person with a parts store who sells full time. Would this be Xs650 only or for all makes of bikes ?

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2