650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > Pedal style kick start

Pedal style kick start
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

is that a couch on the back of that bike?
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Hey guys, glad you like my kicker. I've been off line a lot studying for my medical boards...not much time for my bikes....but I just pulled the XS and TR7RV out of the garage.
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

jayel wrote:
is that a couch on the back of that bike?

Very Happy That that is a genuine Lazyboy Recliner chopped and sectioned to fit on an XS....... Wink

I ride hard tail chops, but the XS is the only bike the wife will get on the back of since she got tossed off the back of my Triumph chop. That's why the XS is set up the way it is....for her. I have actually grown pretty partial to it though.

I do still have the Triumph and if it ever came to down to having only one bike it would be the Triumph chop. No other bike I have ever had has even come close to it. The wife would just have to stay home. I don't believe in choppers being bar hoppers. If you can't really ride it...then it's just not worth it. When the day comes that I can't ride my hardtails I will be very sad.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Chopdoc wrote -- "I've been off line a lot studying for my medical boards. . . ." and "When the day comes that I can't ride my hardtails I will be very sad." and "the XS is the only bike the wife will get on the back of since she got tossed off the back of my Triumph chop."

Chopdoc, two things -- The first: the fact that you've been studying for your medical boards tells me that you're a young man. The second: the fact that you enjoy riding hardtails tells me that your internal organs are still in good working order.

Both of those inferences will change as you get older. Trust me.

On the positive side -- You're certainly not the guy who invented the motorcycle divorcee. But your method of creating one may be unique. You should apply for a patent on that Triumph's geometry. It may be you'll make more money with that than with your medical credentials. . . . Cool
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Actually, my first wife said "no bikes". I am on my second wife. I stopped counting bikes at thirteen...I currently have three.

As for my age...I was a "non-traditional" student. I have done many things in life but medicine was always my dream. I graduated with my MD last summer and recently passed my boards.

I am 42 years old and have been chopping since I was about twelve....bicycles at that time....so I have been at it for a while....

I have tried marketing different things with Choppers but never got anything to fly....I'll make my money in medicine to support the Chopper habit....if I ever market/patent/sell anything I won't be so worried about making money at it. I much prefer trading anyway. I let a brand new custom leather solo seat go to a friend today with the agreement that we would make some kind of deal for it later. He could have it if he wants. I want to see his Chop on the road...we must prevent the Chopper Gods from getting angry.....they want blood, sweat, tears, and running bikes.....
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Ahhhh! to be 42 again! I went back to school at age 38 and finished my MA when I was 49. Health problems kept me stuck in the middle of my thesis. Now I'm 59 and the health problems keep piling up.

Today I have two bikes -- an XS650 and an XS850. Neither of them runs at this moment. First time in my life I've ever been in this situation. I think I can get the 650 running and have a ride before the end of the season. The 850 -- the PO rode it for six months with no air filters. I won't say any more about that, except it will give me something to do with my spare time and money for the next several years.

Congratulations on your MD. I know what it means to achieve a thing like that.
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Thanks a lot. It's been a long journey...and I am happy to say it isn't over...it's just beginning.

Sucks to have two bikes down. What's the XS need?

You know what it's like studying when your older....it has some advantages of course....but nothing replaces the vitality of youth, even in academics. In medicine, that goes double. I've done a lot of things in life, including real labor, but none of that came close to how hard medicine is. Hardest physical thing I ever did was surgery. Very demanding. I must be nuts because at my age I am going after a surgical residency. That's six years of virtual slavery for about 8 bucks an hour. Shocked

If there is anything I can do to help you get that bike back on the road let me know. I have a few parts laying around and a few years experience (read that as stories about bonehead maneuvers I have made).

Regards-
santiablo

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

u guys are crazy!!! buncha old guys ridding bikes that are nearly old as they are n still goen to school in the medical field!!! u make me feel old n dumb, n i guaranty im the youngest one posting in this thread!!
Photo Gallery
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Hell, you think that's crazy.......I married a readhead......that's crazy.... Shocked

Live life as free as you can and enjoy every minute of it. Live clean and ride hard. It goes fast.....it seems like just yesterday I was learning how to kickstart my first Big Twin. Manual advance......kicks like a damn mule if ya don't know what you're doing.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

santiablo -- Insanity is the price of being relentlessly curious. Sometimes I feel foolish for going on the way I do. It would be easier sometimes to blow my own head off than to get my mind around some of the things that puzzle me -- but I don't have a choice. Learning is like heroin and I'm a junkie: if there's a question on the table, I got to try to answer it.

Chopdoc -- you gotta be tough to live with a redhead. Tell me her name ain't Lucretia.
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Nah......

Actually, the carpet don't match the curtains....so I'm safe......sort of.....
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Manual advance, suicide clutch, big-ass shifter knob sticking up beside the tank, hard-tail frame, girder front end, oh yeah. You had to be a hero back then. If you weren't a hero, you drove a car or walked.

y friend Bucky (he was a harelip) had one of those. He let me ride it once. Once was enough. Cool
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Yeah. I gave that crap up. Auto advance...foot shift.....only way to fly if you really want to go somewhere....but that's just me....I'd like to think I'm smarter now (less stupid?), but I think I'm just older.....
santiablo

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

id like to give the manual advance a shot ride it for a week maby or a few days yah know till i had the hang of it just so i could say i had! i dident evan know what u called that besides a suiside shift till u said it n i googled it!! lol and dont forget it aint how old u are its how old u act!!!
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

yeah, if you ever get on one, it's a cinch to start! Choke it hard and kick it through once with the switch OFF. Then turn the key ON, roll the advance all the way up, and kick it again. It's really quite an experience. Razz

Last edited by jimmythetrucker on April 23, 2008, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
royfisk

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

trivia time
Somewhere in time all tank shift bikes with foot clutches became suicide shift bikes. It was not always the case. It originaly came about from indian they were the true suicide shift. reason being everything was backwards from the rest of the world. thottle left side, shifting right side,clutch right side etc. Alot of riders would get hurt when switching from hd to indian and vice versa.

Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Then of course there were the right foot shift bikes....notably the Brits but there were others. In 73 US federal regulation put an end to that and mandated left foot shift as a standard...the world followed because the US market was so important.

y Triumph is a post 73 left foot shift five speed.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

FWIW -- I never heard the term "suicide shift." Around here it was always "suicide clutch," so labeled for the reason that if you sat at a stop light, in gear, holding the clutch with your foot -- and if you then for some reason (too many sixers?) lost your balance and fell over sideways, you went for a ride you hadn't planned on -- maybe got badly burned or eaten by the chain or busted your legs or had parts sliced off by the spokes . . . the imagination runs wild with revoltin' possibilities.
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

I've heard it both ways...it's clear what people mean I think.....
royfisk

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

wheres all this kick back comming from? I have never had a properly timed bike kick back on me. And foot slip off the pedal common what are you doing opening the pedal and imediately start slamming the pedal down, try bringing the engine to tdc before kicking it. now stop all the excusses here, we are not your wives and you dont have to sell us all this crap to spend whatever amount its going to cost to install a cool looking part to your motorcycle. They look cool. Back when i was unfortunate enough to throw a leg over my old sportster I had first the bicycle pedal, and then the popcicle, and then the brass hd style pedal. The pedal twisted itself all up, the popcicle did too, the brass stayed together. Now heres the punch line the yamahas kicker pedals seem to stay together, hmm need I say more? yamaha 2- hd 0
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

I think if you're wearing soft-soled shoes, like loafers, for example, the bicycle pedal kicker would be nice. With the Yammy style kicker, you better wear hard-soled boots or you'll break the arch in your foot -- whether the bike kicks back or not.
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

royfisk wrote:
wheres all this kick back comming from? I have never had a properly timed bike kick back on me.

anual advance.....

If you forget, or don't know what you are doing, and the manual advance is in the wrong position.....you certainly can get kicked back...and really, really, really hard.

I should know. I hyprextended both of my knees on kickers....they are permanently shot.

Although timed properly, even my XS occasionally will kick back. Not often, and not nearly so hard. (usually when I'm in a hurry, not paying enough attention to what I am doing, and the bike is already hot)Something like an XS is a pussycat next to an old Harley as far as these things go.
royfisk

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

why would one ride with loafers on? or shorts, or no jacket. dont you know its not a matter of if you go down , its a matter of when you go down. good riding shoes "boots" should be mandatory. every one who rides sooner or later will go down when they least expect it. ROAD RASH REALLY ISNT SOMETHING ANYONE WANTS TO EXPERIANCE.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Chopdoc -- Did you notice I posted instructions on how to start the old Harley? Wink

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3