650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > 707cc Long Rod Motor

707cc Long Rod Motor
    Forum Index -> Engine
Jack

PostPosted: March 24, 2007, 7:54 pm    Post subject: 707cc Long Rod Motor

This year will be spent putting my motor together,been laying in boxes far to long now Idea .The motor will consist of honda cr 500 rods,suzuki gsxr 1100 78mm flat top pistons(whether or not I'll be able to adapt the usage of the pistons,still remains questionable in deeping the valves reliefs for proper valve to piston clearances) The combustion chamber will be welded up to a quench chamber to regain volume lost by going flat top on the piston. I'm still in the experimental stages and crossing my fingers that it works as planned. I'll post up-dates as I progress..............Jack
xs650temp.proboards29....1174236507
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 25, 2007, 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

Jack: One the members is doing a 750 kit with high compression. I recommended that the compression be 9-1 but the kit is I think 12-1. Any ideas on how to get that compression down. My thought originally was 2 head gaskets bonded well in the center which may drop it to 10 or 11 to 1 but there would most likely be cam chain install problems with a new chain. A chain with just a few thou may fit? I have never fiddled with modifying the xs650. Seems you have that’s for sure. Couldn't find a half link.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2007, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

Jack wrote:
The combustion chamber will be welded up to a quench chamber to regain volume lost by going flat top on the piston. I'm still in the experimental stages and crossing my fingers that it works as planned. I'll post up-dates as I progress..............Jack
xs650temp.proboards29....1174236507

hi jack going from a basically hemi head to the flat top combustion chamber I guess you would be doing some serious head welding, just wondering what is your reasoning to want the flat top pistons over the hemi style, the valve cutouts in the head are going to be some to see, hope you plan to charge admission

ttmaniac

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

XSJohn: if you really wanna spoil all that powerful compression then just buy a copper head gasket thicker than the stock gasket. That will knock it down. Personally, I would mill the tops of the cylinders a hair to make it 13-1 compression. Now that would be a rock n roll motor!

Jack: I'm skeptical of those pistons. Why dump the Hemi head? I really don't think you'll see any more power than a hemi headed version of the same displacement. Possibly less.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

ttmaniac: I had a vision.
John Underwood
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

yeah all he needs now is a couple of dilithium crystals for the warp coils and he's be set
jazzyrigged

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

Hey, what about a flux capacitor?
Jack

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

TT ..........This is still a hemispherical combustion the only thing that I've changed is the manner in which the compressed gases enhance the turbulence during the combustion process.Turbulence is a vital to the combustion cycle to boost the rate of cooling the mixture and the internal metal to reduce detonation,spark plug and most importantly,the increased turbulence assures that when the combustion cycle begins that the flame kernal from the ignition is swirled away with greater efficiency to enhance a cleaner more productive combustion.

And yes you maybe be right,this might not work but what have I"ve lost if I don't make an attempt . It's all about trial and error to gain knowledge...........Jack
ttmaniac

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

xsjohn:hahahah....lol....nice bro...real nice

Jack: best of luck with it. I hope it rips big time.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 707cc Long Rod Motor

dont forget the fuel injectioned turbo here, heck might as well nos while at it. Right you are Jack we dont know without trial and era.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1