650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > sudden oil leak...HELP!

sudden oil leak...HELP!
    Forum Index -> Engine
bigcam59

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 10:10 am    Post subject: sudden oil leak...HELP!

Started the bike after nearly a month of sitting in an unheated garage (the bike, not me...) She fired right up and then started to puke oil out of the left hand side of the case! The leak stopped when I shut the engine down. Could the oil bypass be stuck? Is it some other minor problem or am I royally screwed?
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

The most likely culprit is the clutch pushrod oil seal. Next in line would be the tranny countershaft seal (behind countershaft sprocket); you'll sometimes get a leak there if the sprocket nut has loosened. Check your oil; a petcock malfunction could have leaked fuel into your oil and raised the level.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

"Check your oil; a petcock malfunction could have leaked fuel into your oil and raised the level."

good thinking O grizld1 since it's a wet sump that's about all it could be not like a old harley with a dry sump that loads up the lower end while sitting then pukes it out the breather

bigcam59

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

I'll check the level. It did that once before but I've changed the tank and petcock since.
As far as the pushrod seal or the countershaft seal...if these go bad do they cause such a catastrophic leak? I lost a quart in about 15 seconds...
Photo Gallery
bigcam59

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

I guess maybe leak is the wrong word, considering how fast it lost oil. It seemed as if thit was being pumped out, almost
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

if the lower end is full of gas and oil the pistons going up and down would pump that liquid somewhere, the first weak point would be a seal, you can't compress a liquid so it woud go out the breather or pop a seal and out
grizld1

PostPosted: February 13, 2007, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

If it's losing that much oil the source of the leak (stream?) oughtta be real obvious once the left cover's off. I've seen these bikes pop the clutch pushrod seal before, but I've never seen 'em lose a quart in 15 sec. from that spot. If you can't see the source, check oil level, leave the left cover off, tape down the clutch pushrod lightly, and fire up.

PostPosted: March 3, 2007, 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

Quote:
Check your oil; a petcock malfunction could have leaked fuel into your oil and raised the level.

The fuel only go to carburetors, how did they go crankcase?
my oil smacked of gas, would like to hear more....
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2007, 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

the gas runs thur the carbs into the cylinders and washes past the pistons into the lower end, hard on rings and cylinder bores when starting with no lubrication that's how it gets into the crankcase jayel
landy

PostPosted: March 4, 2007, 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: sudden oil leak...HELP!

Thank you, understood.
I'll remenber to shut down petcock after each riding.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1