650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Building a hardtail

Building a hardtail
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Building a hardtail

I want to build a hardtail to weld onto my chopped xs 650 frame. I know where i need to cut the frame and mount the new hardtail but i was looking for tips on building my hardtail. anyone know what angles the pipes must be bent to. what type of steel i must use. what thickness. how wide it must be for the tire to fit and all that stuff. also how do i align everything and make sure that it is straight and will not warp or bend. i will upload some pics to show my progress and you can see where i am at the moment.

i have sandblasted the whole motor and painted it. i am still working on the engine but will be done shortly.

camp phone jan-march 09 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.47 KB
 Viewed:  382 Time(s)

camp phone jan-march 09 003.jpg

camp phone jan-march 09 008.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.69 KB
 Viewed:  359 Time(s)

camp phone jan-march 09 008.jpg

bike building 2007 nov 20 011.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.45 KB
 Viewed:  372 Time(s)

bike building 2007 nov 20 011.jpg

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

more pics

camp phone jan-march 09 005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.23 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

camp phone jan-march 09 005.jpg

camp phone jan-march 09 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.08 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

camp phone jan-march 09 002.jpg

camp phone jan-march 09 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.39 KB
 Viewed:  368 Time(s)

camp phone jan-march 09 001.jpg

PostPosted: December 25, 2009, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

here is a link to my build on this site.... www.650rider.com/index...57&start=0 it shows how I did mine, not saying you should build like mine! disclaimer etc, etc.....

cimg3198.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.47 KB
 Viewed:  357 Time(s)

cimg3198.jpg

cimg3204.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.63 KB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)

cimg3204.jpg

Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: December 25, 2009, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

sand blast or baking soda?
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

Awsome thanks for the link it will def help.

I sandblasted the crap out of it. it was so caked on and magled it took me 4, 6 hour days of sandblasting to finally get it to where i want it. please dont send hate mail on why i shouldnt have done it. i did it and it worked out very well. the engine runs just fine and is starting to look amazing!!! I did try everything else to try and clean it up before i sandblasted but it woul dhave taken me a year so i tried sandblasting and im glad i did.

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

r6_ryder_03 wrote:
Awsome thanks for the link it will def help.

I sandblasted the crap out of it. it was so caked on and magled it took me 4, 6 hour days of sandblasting to finally get it to where i want it. please dont send hate mail on why i shouldnt have done it. i did it and it worked out very well. the engine runs just fine and is starting to look amazing!!! I did try everything else to try and clean it up before i sandblasted but it woul dhave taken me a year so i tried sandblasting and im glad i did.
Do it the way that is easiest for you and thats all that matters. I've told people things on how I was gonna do stuff and there like that won't work and they discouraged me and I said forget it I'm gonna do it anyway. Well it ends up working and there like how did you do that I'm like the exact way I told you, you know the way you said wouldn't work

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

gordonscott wrote:
here is a link to my build on this site.... www.650rider.com/index...mp;start=0 it shows how I did mine, not saying you should build like mine! disclaimer etc, etc.....
The link doesn't work can you redo it or tell the title name and what page it's on?

PostPosted: December 27, 2009, 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

Hey thanks a lot man! straight up im not on here to chat with haters. I understand if someone has tried something and it didnt work for them but always remember maybe they didnt do it right or have the same resources. I take advice seriously but if i just feel like it isnt right or wanna try it out for myself i will go against it and do it. in this case it worked and im very happy i did cause i got great results.

As for the link, it didnt work for me either. i never tried it b4 cause i didnt have time. if you can please re post a link that works if not thanks anyways and merry christmas and happy ner year to all!

PostPosted: December 27, 2009, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

Hi Guys, Don't know what why? lets try again... www.650rider.com/index...pic&t=7357 and if still no go it's under "gordonscotts homemade hardtail" in chopper jobs section of this site. P.S. no hater here my friend just trying to help. Some good people on this site with good advice, sometimes we just come off wrong in print when giving advice Wink

cimg3222.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.68 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)

cimg3222.jpg

cimg3226.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.29 KB
 Viewed:  391 Time(s)

cimg3226.jpg

r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: December 27, 2009, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a hardtail

awsome! thanks a lot for the pics and link. i love the look of that tail. it looks like its shorter than a lot of others, maybe it just looks that way. I know there are a lot of great people with great advice and thats why im here. thanks for all the help everyone and ill kep posting my progress.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1