650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Charging system question

Charging system question
    Forum Index -> Electrical
grinder

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 7:50 am    Post subject: Charging system question

Do you guys think the stock charging system on a 77 would handle these lights running together or would that be too much for it too handle?

www.flyncycle.com/Domi...utrblk.htm
despecial

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Charging system question

- well its quite likely to show up any deficiencies in your system
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Charging system question

grinder,

The alternator on a XS650 produces 15 Amps at 5,000 RPM on a good day. The electrical system uses about 10 of those Amps, leaving a "surplus" of 5 Amp to charge the battery at 5,000 RPM. Much less at a lower engine speed.

You would be adding one additional headlight load of 4.5 Amps on low beam and 5 Amps on high beam, which uses up all of the surplus power available at 5,000 RPM and leaving nothing to charge the battery, so that would not be good when riding around town in stop and go traffic.

However, if you were to install a switch to turn off the low beam on one of the headlights, then you would have a "normal" load when riding around town at lower RPM's. You could flip the extra headlight on when riding on the highway at higher RPM's after the battery has had a chance to recharge. You may not have enough current from the alternator to power both on high beam, but normally, you are not on high beam for very long stretches.

Be sure to install new alternator brushes and clean the rotor slip rings as well, because you will need all of the current that the alternator is capable of delivering.

You could also install an LED tail light to relieve some of the load so there would be more current available for the two headlights.

The brake light uses 2.5 Amps when you are stopped at a light. An LED brake light uses just 0.1 Amp. That's a huge savings in power and would mean that the battery would not discharge as much when stopped at a light and as a result, there would be more current available for your second headlight when you are underway.

Other, small "tricks" you could get in the habit of doing:

1. Turn off your turn signal while waiting for the light to change.
2. Set your idle speed up to 1,500 RPM.
3. If you still have a regular tail light instead of an LED, keep off the brake while waiting at the light.

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system question

Thanks for all the info. I don't ride at night at all, so I need a headlight to keep the cops happy and to be seen. I wonder if something like this would work in those fixtures?
www.eautoworks.com/pro...331486.htm
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system question

grinder,

I am not familiar with those, but they look perfect for your situation. The only possible downside is that you would now have too much surplus current that could be harmful to the battery especially right after startup when the battery is low.

There might also be a question of legality in meeting the requirement to have a headlight on when riding.

How would it look to have just one of the headlights equipped with this LED?

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system question

I don't know how much light that would actually put out. Cars that have DRL's look like normal headlights. They also make a H4 bulb that is 35/35 watts which would help. One of each might be a good idea as you suggest.I could use the led most of the time and still have a decent light if needed. I believe my bike has an adjustable regulator. Does that regulate volts/amps or just volts?
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system question

replacing your tail light/brake and changing your turn signals is a great way to save power also pamco's tips are good to.If your gonna keep this bike and trick it out I would suggest investing in a PMA type charging system.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system question

grinder,

The regulator is a voltage regulator. There is no current regulation. Unlike a generator, an alternator self regulates the current because it will put out its rated current when the load demands it. After that, the voltage starts to go down.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1