650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

My guidelines for resterations vs modifications
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
danno

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

Did any parts have to be custom made?
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

pumps wrote:
650skull - You are right about the value of what will be (I hope) my daily rider. I like it because I don't have a payment and insurance is cheap!
What do you guys call those tags? MOT? Here we have annual inspection stickers.

Pumps some states are different, here in Queensland if you are selling a vehicle with the registration, (rego is a 12 month or 6 month option) then you have to get a road worthy certificate,(safety certificate), Once this has been done you have 30 days to fix any thing that may have to be fixed and return for a final inspection and complete any transaction/sale........As a buyer then it is your responsibility to keep the vehicle in a safe road worthy condition and as long as you own it you do not have to have any safety checks until you decide to sell it.........If you sell it without a registration then no roadworthy/safety certificate is needed, has to be advertised As Is and the number plates are supposed to be handed in

Pocket Oxford Dictionary
Restoration, n. 1, Act or instance of restoring or being restored. 2 a act or process of bringing something back to its original condition. b act or process of carrying out alterations and repairs to restore a building ect to something like its original form

Roy, that is dedication and a dam beautiful job your father has done and i can understand why you put such a high regard to the term restored.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

I love most bikes, and a restore or a wild chop, is worth only what it's worth to the current owner or the next owner. Sure a 100 point restore is a fantastic thing to do, and there should be some that go that way.
My take on it is more period correct, I think one of the more crazier jobs I've seen is the R1 framed XS, just not quite right in my opinion.

How to you restore a TZ 350A, stock as it came from the factory, or as it first appeared on the track? Most guys at the time threw out the drum for a disc, paint, & heaps of other mods. Which should be preserverd over the other? I know I'd rather have a Carruthers TZ to a factory job! Or any bike with a pedigree.

That's my take on it anyway, if it was a quality performance orientated upgrade at the time, then it should qualify as a restore. You don't want to go to a museum & see 200 standard bikes, variety is the key!

royfisk

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

As for the indian, as far as I know the exhaust pipes were rebuilt but are what remains of the originals, as with anything else that was ruined by rust. Also not true to the bike is the valve seats, they were upgraded for unleaded fuel. This is why my dad does not call this a restored bike. Everyone else does. But its as close as your going to find for that partucular year and model. And god knows he put every efort into trying to keep it true to its originality. NO THIS BIKE IS NOT RESTORED ITS WELL MAINTAINED.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

I agree Roy, ANY change's to the bike is Not restoration. If you go with Dunlop tire's & the bike came with Yokohama's for instance, like you said that's modified.Having said that, I do believe in well maintained bike's, just for your(mine) own safety. Upgraded brake pad's, better chain & tire's, better cable's, light's ect. are all good in my view.Anything that improve's the bike's reliability and safety are all good. However, if someone want's to chop or lower or track their machine, go at it. I definately respect & back you on the point of a "Restored" bike.And that those are probably more of a trailer queen, as was previously stated.

Your Dad's bike is probably the closest to "restored" as possable, but in a concour's type show, it , as you said, would not be considered a 100% resto.

I had Corvette's that were of 'show quality', and the judge's would take off point's for thing's like stone's inside the wheel well's from the road debris.
That's when I gave all that horsesh*t analization up. I do appreciate the fine vintage vehicle's I see at the various show's, but you are right in saying that the word "restoration" is definately tossed around like a two-bit whore.

danno

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

royfisk wrote:
As for the indian, as far as I know the exhaust pipes were rebuilt but are what remains of the originals, as with anything else that was ruined by rust. Also not true to the bike is the valve seats, they were upgraded for unleaded fuel. This is why my dad does not call this a restored bike. Everyone else does. But its as close as your going to find for that partucular year and model. And god knows he put every efort into trying to keep it true to its originality. NO THIS BIKE IS NOT RESTORED ITS WELL MAINTAINED.

Roy,I would consider the Indian a restoration,and a damned fine one at that! I don't think any bike could possibly meet your guidelines...you're just too pickin' fricky! Not saying that is a bad thing...
gggGary

PostPosted: December 25, 2009, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My guidelines for resterations vs modifications

It is what the bike means to you not to the outside observer. If it is what you want or it is generally headed in the that direction and part of your enjoyment is riding then you are heading in the right direction. Values and prices change. Both on economics and the age of interested buyers. the old saw is that 20 years old is the first high point in a vehicles value. That is the time when people who wanted and couldn't afford the vehicle in high school can now afford to buy it as a toy. I also have been buying riding and selling bikes for 40 years. I have at least a couple Duh Ohs on bikes I have sold or not bought and have regretted it since. If restored means you can't ride it, at least in good weather, I am not interested. The person doing that is an investor not a motorcyclist. Bikes are to ride. Looking good and coolness are nice but secondary to riding them.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2