650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > machine shop

machine shop
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: machine shop

Been thinking about that.........sleeve (adaptor) would be 3mm thick......so both sides would make the needed overall 6mm......could be made tight to press on the bearing (6306) .........with a protruding groove on the outside of the sleeve for lateral support for the crank taking the place of the c-clip.....guess the hole for the case pin (radial support) wouldn't be too tough then ....pin only sticks out a bit over 2mm on the case and the spacer would be 3mm...plenty of room for a hole there in the sleeve (adaptor)...basic machining but onezies might get expensive.........glad I have 5 good bearings........and an engine that's easy on them now... Smile

6303=72mm
stock bearing=78mm

now the other 3 rollers would be a whole new ball game.........

HERE IS SOMETHING THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST......this bearing was sitting for years in the same place in a spare engine (guift engine that was left outside in the elements..not sure how long) ..still rolls smooth.....there is a stain maybe caused from condensation or oil that is apparent in the bearing race.....same place they seem fail......the lower picture is a failed bearing (sounded like a siren that started as a faint whirling).....could mean something....maybe ...maybe not......

xsjohn

right side main bearing 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.65 KB
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)

right side main bearing 2.jpg

right side main bearing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.45 KB
 Viewed:  353 Time(s)

right side main bearing.jpg

Last edited by xsjohn on December 21, 2009, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: machine shop

The reason most ball bearings fail is due to exposure and lack of lubrication, as in, none at all ... maybe the ocassional side loading.

Also this is a 6306 bearing, subbing a 6303 bearing will OK save you $10 per swap, but a 6306 will take more load than a 6303. Also a 6303 is a 15mm ID bearing. This is 30 mm ID, dont see how you can sleeve yourself into that without machining the crank shaft.

The others ... you see the 40X68 bearings are easy to find. The crank is 32mm, so a 4mm wall pipe with 32 ID X 40 OD will get it spaced in to be able to fit a 40X68 ... however I am not experimenting with sleeves etc unless I was without any other choice ... which I am not at that point yet.

Cool.
Srinath.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: machine shop

Pretty sure John meant to say 6306

DG3078AN-9 KOYO (stock bearing)
OD 78mm
ID 30mm
Width 19mm

OD 72mm
ID 30mm
Width 19mm

As for the rollers, I'm trying to find out (anyone know?) if a 18R Toyota has a roller crank, maybe even the ball!

www.obrasmechanicos.com/18rg.html

Srinath

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: machine shop

Yamaman - I will scour that as well.
Right now 2-3 people are to get back to me ... whenever that is ...
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: machine shop

Sorry nope ... generic car garbage ... my mechanic who's split 100's of car motors says he's never seen a crank like the XS ... CLEVITE 77

MS1521P-STD

TOYOTA

1977-1979 Toyota 1.8L 1808cc 16R, 16R-B, 16R-J, 16R-U engines with straight shell bearings.

1977-1988 Toyota 1.9L 1968cc 18R, 18R-B, 18RGEU, 18R-GU, 18R-U engines with straight shell bearings.

Note: Rrequires thrust washer set TW326S, not included.

Cross References: Clevite/Sealed Power MS1521P; Federal Mogul 6658M.

However - no worries, bearings are not made in the dozens or even 100's ... they are made in the millions. Only way to do it. That is why all new everything, uses existing bearings. No one builds a fancy new wheel ... like buell's rim brake wheel and puts a brand new bearing in it, it has the same 6303 the whole remaining wheels in the world have.

The 3 center ones were made in large numbers ... maybe they then killed that totally ... however I seriously doubt it. If there is 1 new bearing, there is a million more ... fine 999,999 more ...

Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2