650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 10:29 am    Post subject: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Hi guys, I am new to the xs community, I just bought a 1973 xs650. I like many others want a street tracker. This bike I have has an old chopper like seat and back rest that has the Yamaha logo in it. I can’t see a starter anywhere so I am wondering if it came with one or not? It also has what looks like chopper style exhaust pipes and I don’t know if they are original (worth $$$?) or aftermarket. Right now as I type this the old lady is pissed at the idea of me bringing the bike in beside the fireplace days before xmas time. I explained it will be clean and there won’t be any gas smell but she’s just not buying it, lol. looks like ill use my old van to work in, minus 25 here in Ottawa so at least the old van can keep warm.

Would I be better off restoring it and selling it?

I also have a 750 triple, so i been thinking I could do them both up with same paint sceme but the triple as a cafe racer and the xs as a tracker.

Will post some pictures later on.

Thanks and any advice would be much appreciated.

Jay
acbanks

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Be sure to immediately chop it up. The early models aren't rare or anything. Everyone here agrees, a stock XS650 is a sad XS650.

The starter is on the bottom, unless someone has removed it.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Got pics of the back rest and tail light? I might be interested in them. As for street tracker. My first move would be to start with the suspension and go through everything. including changeing out to the 35mm later style forks.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

acbanks wrote:
Be sure to immediately chop it up. The early models aren't rare or anything. Everyone here agrees, a stock XS650 is a sad XS650.

The starter is on the bottom, unless someone has removed it.

Don't even read this, start chopping now!

Actually if it were me I would seriously consider leaving the bike as stock as possible. I know the XS is a very popular bike to chop up but stock examples of the early ones are getting harder to find.

Post some pictures when you get a chance!

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Welcome,
The 73TX is a stand alone model due to the tank. Mikes has very few parts (cosmetically) for the early 70-73 models. they are rare and getting rarer.

Here is a link to a buyers/model guide, it is from the Aus 650 site and dated so don't take the prices quoted as true for today. Over here a good one would fetch between 6-7,000 maybe more
Web Page Name

Look in the Vault it has a lot of information for the newbie to get acquainted with their bike answers most questions you are likely to ask

Quote::

Don't take to much notice of this statement.
Photo Gallery
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Ok Thanks guys, I have to really think about this! I tore it all down today in my safari! the bolts all came off with some wd40 and elbow grease, lots of crap under the motor, I think ill get the frame blasted. I definatly dont want to put the backrest and chopper seat back! I think I will try to sell of trade some parts to make this into either the tracker I want or stock 73. Can someone tell me the general stuff I need to know to make my tracker? tire size? swing arm to use? I have nice mags on my xs triple, will they fit? I think I read that the trackers use 19 inch wheels front and rear?

will take pics and post shortly.

Jay
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

The more I look at Bobber/choppers on this site the more I feel lie going that route!
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Dude don't chop it. Your better off buying a newer one to chop. Sell the triple and get another xs. If your gonna just ride to the store for smokes a bobber is ok. Whatever you do it's gonna cost you some $$$$ to do it up nice and right. Restore the the 73 to original trust me,then sell it and buy 3 newer ones to play with.
nj1639

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Make it unique with a tc bros weld on hard tail and a harley sporty tank.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Personally It would depend on how much it needs to be put back to stock. hardly worth investing 5000 dollars to restore it. But if 70% of the original bodywork or better is still there then it would be worthwhile. The body work including seats fenders tank sidecovers gauges exhaust etc are whats very costly. Hell try to find a stock exhaust for a 73, and if you do whats the price tag on that? Another thing for all you who think resterations. If this bike is beyond resteration wouldnt it be better to have him chop it up and make the nice pieces available to someone who has a bike that needs these pieces. Also note if you think it should be restored make the man a offer he cant refuse, like a more suitable model year. and seeing its so valueable some cash on the side. I guess what I am saying is take very close look at what you have. see what is needed to restore then decide.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Roy makes good sence.....The decision is yours to chop or not. It is your bike and you have to be happy with what you are doing and not what others want you to do........If you are undecided then get as much info from as many different sources as possible and make up your own mind..........If the tank, side covers and guards are in good shape then they would be worth a few dollars to go towards your project. If the paint is good then they could be worth a lot. As i said before parts for these models are getting hard to find.........Good luck
Photo Gallery
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Ok, I have the frame cleaned up, I am missing one side cover, the seat is not stock, nor is the exaust, wheels are nice spoke ones but have some rust. The bike does not look stock to me, although I am sure it could be made to.

here is what I like and am thinking of doing something close to either this,

www.650motorcycles.com...reise.html

or this

www.xs650chopper.com/2...tor-works/

Things are moving fast with this project, i have to take those pics now,.

001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.92 KB
 Viewed:  428 Time(s)

001.jpg

royfisk

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Both bikes are cool The first would be my choice of the 2. Post some pictures of your bike, and do you plan to sell off any of your unused parts?
andysrage

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

The early XS/TX bikes (w/ 256 engine) have a manual decompression lever just below the front brake lever. When you pull that lever, two things (should) happen. One, the lever pulls a cable that maintains the left side exhaust valve open so that only the right cylinder can make compression. Second, a switch located in the lever perch is activated and that tiggers the starter solenoid. I assume that the older starter motors were not strong as the newer ones, so the decompression was required. Basically, there is no starter button on the older bikes.
BTW, i'm selling the starter and solenoid off of my '73 so if yours don't work, let me know. It's posted on the Garage clean up/giveaways forum.

1989 Yamaha XT350-trail beater
royfisk

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Andy I beleive yamaha wasnt sure of the earlier bikes battery amperage to be capable of starting the 650 with both cylinders under compresion. therefore made the decompressor which went away with the introduction of the 14 amp battery over the 12. But as far as I know the starters are the same. Also note that was 72-73 only option. anyone interested I have a complete decompressor set up.
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Pics

Just back from the local car wash place, got most of the dirt and oil off the frame.

Still cant decide if I should do a cafe or low rider. The low rider is what I really want but it requiors chopping and welding, the cafe can be done with less headaches and less money.

ssc_0033.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.1 KB
 Viewed:  426 Time(s)

ssc_0033.jpg

ssc_0030.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.72 KB
 Viewed:  419 Time(s)

ssc_0030.jpg

ssc_0028.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.17 KB
 Viewed:  438 Time(s)

ssc_0028.jpg

Jaywis

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

I am seriously thinking of going with the cafe racer for now, can always do a chopper next time I find another XS, or maybe i will chop the triple I have:)

being broke and on halidays I just want to do this build with mininum$$$, havent even bought one gift yet!
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Damm I like the choppers that have retained there shocks and suspension,

what would be the easyest way to make my swing arm about 5 inches longer?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

I like both but am just a little partial to the cafe. That matte black looks good.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

im with pumps on this one
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Ok a Matt black cafe it is.
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

For trade: 1973

Crome Front frender.

Tail lighrt ass

Yamaha back rest

Forks and tree

needed, Right side steel side cover.
cafe style seat
tiny flash indicators
key for tank.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

As far as the key part. There is a guy on ebay who sells nos keys. Get the 4 digit number off the lock cylinder. Look through the list of ones he has available. I bought one and it works perfectly.
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...23047f8700

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Jaywis

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 XS, Newbie, what to do?

Thanks pumps, Now I am leaning towards Brat style, I know I keep changing my mind but there is just soo much one can do with these bikes, I have to work with what i have in way of parts and labour. Here is what I like today. Pic 541 is awsome example of the bratstyle, pic 611 is close but has the parts I already have, example tank.

pc0700541.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.09 KB
 Viewed:  428 Time(s)

pc0700541.jpg

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2