650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > My XS650 restoration project.

My XS650 restoration project.
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
BG4D

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 10:17 pm    Post subject: My XS650 restoration project.

Hey all.
I started this post so I can share my experiences and pictures while restoring my 1976 XS650.

For some history of the bike go here. There are also pictures of the bike as it was when I got it.

This will probably be a slow project but I will update it as I go along. I hope to do a "frame off" restoration. I am going to try to keep it as stock as I can. I am also going to try to use as many of the original parts as possible. What parts I do replace I am going to use NOS (New Old Stock) if possible.

My goal is to get it back as close as I can to what it would have been like in 1976.

I am sure I will have plenty of questions. I hope some of you can help.
If you have suggestion as I go along they are much appreciated.

I am going to try to keep a running total of the cost and may (or may not) post the cost as I go along.

The paint on the side covers and on the fuel tank is in really good condition. There are a few nicks and scratches, but it is 33 years old!
I think they add character so I think I will leave them just as I found them, but just cleaned up real well.

Maybe I could even get *stickied*. Maybe not, and that's okay.
I'll post some pictures shortly to get us started.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
BG4D

PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Okay, here are some new pictures of the bike.

I got it pressure washed and somewhat cleaned up. At least got some of the grime off of it.

I've started taking it apart to get an idea of the condition.

Here is the tank after cleaning it all up.

There was a considerable amount of varnish it in. A can of Chemtool sitting in it overnight did a pretty good job. Finished it off with a good HOT pressure washing and blow drying. There was some surface rust inside so I used a phosphoric acid wash to clean it out. That left a coating on the inside and no rust! That is the original paint. Looks pretty good for 33 years old.

It's NAKED!!

I got the carbs off and am in the process of rebuilding them. I'll have pictures of them very soon.

I had some concerns about the noise the chain was making while moving it around. Sounded like the front sprocket might be worn out. After looking at it, i think it is just the dry chain. The sprocket looks great. It is surprisingly clean under there. No oil leaks.

Stay tuned for more.....
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Check in the vault for soda blasting, makes the carbs like new!
Lots of other good tips in there too!
Look forward to your progress, thanks for getting in from the start.
Cheers

BG4D

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Thank goodness that the site is back up! I was beginning to wonder???

Anyway, back to the bike.
No need for soda blasting. I soaked the carbs in a carb vat. They are back together and ready to go back on.

BG4D

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Freshly polished side covers.

Now that the carbs are finished, I am going to try to get the engine started. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend so I should be able to get it going. We'll see.

After I get the engine going, I'll have a better idea of what else I may need. Once I have assessed the engine I'll have a better idea of what to do next. I am hoping all it needs is a little cleaning up and some filters/strainers changed. Then I can start getting it out of the frame.

I will try to take some video of the first start-up in more than 10 years and post it.

Anything I should look for before firing her up?

Enjoy the photos.

mgreaves

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

What process did you use to polish the covers - they look great! Did you use a chemical stripper to "de" varnish?

Mac

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
BG4D

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Yeah, I soaked them down with carb cleaner. It is a very good paint stripper. It came right off. Most of it was already gone and the aluminum, especially on the top portion, was badly oxidized and pitted.

After I got all of the paint and grime off of it, I sanded the entire cover down with 220 sand paper. This got rid of the oxidization and *most* of the pitting. Some of it was just too deep and I didn't want to go that far.

After I went over it with the 220, I went to 200, both of these dry. I got it very smooth with the 200 and them moved to 400 wet or dry. I used it wet and sanded, and sanded, and sanded. Then when it was smooth all over, I went back with 800 wet and sanded, and sanded, and sanded.

After that it was on to the jewelers polishing wheel. I used the red color rouge and got it shiny, then moved onto a tan or white rouge. The red is somewhat course, but the tan/white is much finer and really puts a nice shine on things.
It is not perfect, but it looks good to me. A far cry from what it was.

I then clear coated it with spray DupliColor clear. I may regret this. It's not made for high heat, nor is it very hard, but I already had it. We'll see how it holds us.
A nice wax might have been a better *finish*.
BG4D

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Here is what they looked like before cleaning/polishing

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

There is some stuff I did to mine that you may run into along the way. Here is a link.
650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=8413

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
BG4D

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Got the bike fired up. I had to remove the points, clean and file them. Reinstalled them and set the gap to about .015 in and it fired up.
It is rather noisy, more so than I expected.
I have done some reading and it looks like I'll be pulling the head and looking at the timing chain guide, timing chain and valve guide's.
I'll post a video of the start-up soon.

One thing I was not ready for was the vibration! WOW! While it was on the stand, it wanted to walk across the shop! I had to put up the stand, and just use the kick-stand.
Are these bikes this prone to vibration?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Ahhh, you didn't know these bikes came with a reverse gear! Mate you get the lot when you get an XS!

Personaly, I'd try adjusting the cam chain, then the valves. Never know, that might be all you need!

Yeah chain guides go on these, but that's usually evident when you dump the oil & the bottom strainer, the stuff that looks like chewed up stringy bits of chain guide is usually chewed up stringy pieces of chain guide!

BG4D

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

LOL!!! That's funny! Well, I havn't dumped the oil yet. It's on my list.

I'll be sure to check for the bits. I 'll also look at the pick-up screen. I understand they fail as well. I'm sure it has the original one in it. We'll see.
BG4D

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Update :

Finally got out and was able to do some more on the bike.

Here is the video of the first start up in more than 10 years. Starter sounds a little rough, like the bendix might need to be looked at but it was easier than kicking it for the first time.

Sorry, I can't get the video to embed properly.

Just click on the link to see the video.

rides.webshots.com/vid...0432rLcMBA
BG4D

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Here are some more pictures of my progress.

Got the bottom oil sump off tonight. Just as I suspected, the screen was torn. I will be replacing that for sure.

There seems to be an awful lot of metal in this oil. I know this is the sump ans some is normal, but there is a significant amount.

One good thing, I didn't find any of the tell-tail plastic shavings in the oil that would indicate worn cam chain guides. Don't have the actual filter out yet, but I am guessing that they would show up here at the strainer first.
Look at the metal stuck to that magnet!!

The specs you see in this next photo are metal particles. May be normal seeing as this has never been removed and cleaned. Bike has about 19K on it.

Not sure what this is all about. There was 14 ga. solid "house wire" going around the turn signal flasher and going down to one of the attaching studs for the left coil. Anyone have any ideas? It was tossed!

This is not stock! I'll have to find a replacement Acorn nut. Shouldn't be hard I wouldn't think.

Made some real progress tonight getting the bike torn down.
I did find some pretty significant damage to the battery box due to rust caused by the battery acid. The box is still pretty rigid. I think I can treat the rust and then re-paint.
Anyone know where I can find the rubber that the battery sits in?

More as I get it. Hope you are enjoying this little venture. Thanks for looking.
Eric00

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

i just pick up this same bike the other night, i really like the color, im un sure what the plans are as of now, but ill keep an eye on yours and i might just rock it stock!
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

That household #14 seems like they were trying to get a ground maybe? But what for I have no idea. I think mike has the rubber battery box in the electrical section.
I enjoyed the video. They do vibrate a bit eh?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
curt698

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

Just watched your video and I can not wait to hear mine run for the first time. I hope mine starts easy because in 71 kicking was the only choice for starting. Congrats on the progress.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: My XS650 restoration project.

BG4D,

I think that "household" type wire was used to tie the coils down because it looks like there is a nut missing on one of the coils?

Miikes has the battery box rubber boot. Part #02-6529 for $16.

The bike already looks and sounds fantastic! It's great to see someone who appreciates the brand and isn't going to chop it up.

All that metal on the magnet is probably normal. It's the accumulation from the original building of the engine and normal wear and tear.

If there are no signs of the chain guide coming apart, and the compression is good, I would probably not tear the engine down. Finish the restoration, enjoy riding it for a season and then decide. This will also give you the opportunity to hear the engine running and identify any strange noises that have to be fixed in the teardown. In other words, you might tear it down now and then discover the strange noises after you put it back together and run it (bummer!).

My '78 had 18,000 miles on it when I bought it in '96. It now has 80,000 miles on it. I also saw the accumulation of metal on the sump magnet and asked a Yamaha mechanic about it. He said he had seen worse and to not worry about it, so I didn't.

Some of that vibration is due to the fact that the points fire each cylinder at a different point relative to TDC, so if you can set the timing of each set to fire at the same relative spot (good luck!), things will smooth out. Of course, you could just install a PAMCO and get a consistently smoother engine because the PAMCO does fire each cylinder at the same relative place and produces a much hotter spark to ensure even burning of the mixture.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1