650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Putting motor back into frame

Putting motor back into frame
    Forum Index -> Frames
bennecc

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Putting motor back into frame

I swear I saw a post on here at one point that explained a 1-man method of putting the engine into the frame by laying the engine on its side and dropping the frame on top.

Has anybody done this? If so, I was wondering which side to lay the engine on, and whether or not I need to remove the clutch cover or the alternator. I've got a freshly painted motor and a freshly painted frame, so I don't want to experiment with it too much for fear of messing up the new paint! Thanks.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

I've used the left side. Looks wasn't an issue so no real "care" preventions. I suppose the left side could be removed for paints sake.
Maybe a blanket over the blocks?

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

bennecc wrote:
I swear I saw a post on here at one point that explained a 1-man method of putting the engine into the frame by laying the engine on its side and dropping the frame on top.

Has anybody done this? If so, I was wondering which side to lay the engine on, and whether or not I need to remove the clutch cover or the alternator. I've got a freshly painted motor and a freshly painted frame, so I don't want to experiment with it too much for fear of messing up the new paint! Thanks.

I've done it horizontal.
Most bikes work better that way with the 1 man method.
I pulled mine out in 1/2 hour and put it back in in 45 mins or so. Easy. The thing I had to do was get it back in the frame horizontal and sitting crooked and finnagle into place after getting it vertical. The rear mounts were tight, and getting in those you need the weight of the motor to shove itself back in there.
I've also pulled a seca 2 motor out and I swear they were the easiest to get out, somehow yamaha makes motors that come out easy I guess.
The front mount and the top brackets on the XS have to be removed, That gives it extra room. I didn't get the top out of the motor I fitted in and I paid the $$ I think ...
Cool.
Srinath.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

TAPE YOUR FRAME
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

Two 2 X 4's extended through the frame and resting on a chair with wheels. Chain wrapped around motor and 2 X 4's. Grab 2 X 4's and lift motor, push chair and wiggle motor into frame.

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

Pamcopete, that is freaking amazing. I can totally see that working.
I had a roller cart it was sitting on, in a way you need a roller set but in my case after helping a little, it was in the way after ...
The seca motor was dumped out on to and put back in with a big used car tire lying there. You need lots of give around there ...
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

Oh sorry you wanted which side - I did mine by putting it on the right side. But I had no left side cover and the crank was exposed, so I preferred to put on the side that had a case cover.
Cool.
Srinath.
bennecc

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

thanks everyone, i got it in laying it on its right side with no major paint damage. success!
blackwidow

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting motor back into frame

good deal

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1