650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > engine rebuild in progress.

engine rebuild in progress.
    Forum Index -> Engine
benztech

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 4:43 pm    Post subject: engine rebuild in progress.

I finally got my cafe project where I wanted it and now I'm going after the motor. the bike ran great, however there was a dinging noise in the head that was driving me nuts. tried settings valves and cam chain but still had the noise. I was also finding the plastic bits in the oil.

I pull the engine to replace the cam guide rail. that really was my only intention. as I pull the motor apart i'm finding more problems. the compression was 145psi in both cylinder before disassembly.

so far I've found that the valve seals are shot, the PO tried to port the head and did a horrible job, the exhaust ports are caked with carbon to include the valve seats.

here is the big one. the right piston and cylinder have scoring.. looks to be from oil starvation or over-heating. it's not deep. I can't even catch it with a finger nail, but the piston looks pretty bad. there is evidence of metal transfer. the left piston looks great. I can also see evidence of the right side head gasket leaking.

So now I have to decide if I going to go big bore or simply an O/S piston. the problem is going to be finding a good machine shop.

pics to follow...
benztech

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

well the jug is now at the machine shop. got a call today and I was told to order 2nd O/S pistons. they'll be there tommorow. head has been ported and valves have been lapped.

I'll try and get some pics up.. I'm also considering the shell grind #1.. I got a custom SS exhaust being made right now and I got a set of XS performace air filters... should make for a nice runnin engine.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

Sounds like your spending some$$$ who did your port work? would love to see a pic of your exhaust system did you go 1 and 5/8 or 1 3/4 on your pipes? What pistons did you go with?
benztech

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

I actually have a good amount of porting experience from my drag racing days. I cleaned up what the PO jacked up. I removed the casting flaws, port-matched the intake and putting a really smooth finsh on the exhaust side.

I'm having a guy over at bobbertalk build me an exhaust. his work is top-notch. I won a custom paint job in a raffle. I really had no use for it, so I traded my paint job for a custom exhaust. it will be one of a kind. were going 1.5 inches. going to run along the left side of the bike with some nice veloctiy stacks on the ends.

I went with the mikexs pistons and rings. the price was right and I think most of the power is to be had in the head. If I do go with a cam I'll be putting a set of carbs on as well..

all in all I'm spending more than I oringal thought. I'm very picky and I want it too really shine in the end..

pics too follow
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

if you have the extra money go with a new cam it makes a huge difference
the megacycle street cam is a good choice unless you'll be racing.Also if your not gonna do a 750 head I would see if your pipe guy can make your pipes out of 1 5/8 inside diameter this seems to give you a better power band for the street.If you have not ridden a stock xs your always trying to shift the thing into 6th gear.I find that the stock carbs are not too bad just probably a little less responsive.And we always spend more than we thought we where going to even when your doing it all yourself. Would like to know how those mikes pistons look when you get them I was thinking of getting a set.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

Almost forgot I make cafe tanks mostly old school,here's a plug I'm working on right now, should be making the mold just after xmas and their made just for the xs perfect fit ,I can also make you a one of a kind seat if you need it
benztech

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

well i just got a call from the machine shop.. the barrel is ready. not bad.. 2 day turn around.. total price was 76.00 for a bore and hone. i'm thinking i'm going with the SHELL #1 GRIND. i heard it's a really great cam.

i'm also running a 31tooth rear sprocket to aid the top end.. I do find myself hunting for that last gear.

I have a ton in store.. the bike was already looking great and my wife just bought me 1000$ worth of goodies for the thing.. Smile
benztech

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

let me know how the tank turns out. I just spent 300$ on the OMARS tail. it designed for the stock tank.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

Just ask around a bit before grabbing the shell, I heard people where having problems getting spec sheets and tech info with there cams and return phone calls and emails. Lucky Man!!!!! to have such a wife, my girlfriend would return a $1000 worth of my parts and go buy shoes
Srinath

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: engine rebuild in progress.

I think I should go find someone who can back grind a cam. You take off a mm or 2 on the closed side of the cam and you can put material on the rocker arm contact face and that will properly increase the lift.
Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1