650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Tearing down my 77

Tearing down my 77
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Yeah, there is a long bush in there. Just enough gap to catch the end of the plastic bush.....Tap it all around gently at first till it starts moving & you can get a better purchase on it.
Others (as I'm sure you've read) have not been able to get it out this way & have burnt them out, smashed them out or cut them out with a dremmel! Cheers

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pump's,I used the needle bearing kit from Mike's, cheaper & no hassle's on the install. I used a long extension also, but with a junk socket that just fit through the old bushing. Tapped them out from opposite side.Worked really good.
On the previous post, I thought you had installed the other shock, that's why I suggested the measure.NPF.
PS, the needle bearing's are still as tight as when I installed them.Gotta be 3-4000 mile's.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

The needle bearing conversion is $79. New brass bushings are $49 and grease seals $14 = $ 63. How is that cheaper? What am I missing?

The fiber bushing butts up against another same size bushing inside?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

pumps, I have read here that the new bronze bushing's need the new shaft also.Along with seals, was like $20 more in the spring when I did mine. The nice thing with the needle bearing's is the side bearing's, nice, smooth operation through the whole range of the swingarm. I could be wrong on the shaft, but wasn't going to risk another order for the shaft.
I remember reading about some people having a hell of a time with the whole job. Starting with getting the old bushing's out( couldn't figure why, they are plastic, and plastic melt's easily), to fitting the old shaft to the bronze bushing's.Getting the new bushing's into the swingarm,ect.
So I went with the needle setup.Glad I did, had no problem's at all.
As far as I can remember, there was some space to get the extension/socket assy. between the old plastic bushing. I do not remember the swingarm having another bushing in it, but it could.

Just went & looked at the swingarm, only one set of end bushing's. The swingarm itself has a smaller diameter about2-3 inches in on each side.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Well I'm gonna give the brass ones a try. I'll know more when I get this old stuff cleaned up. I still have a ton of work to do.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

So I managed to get the old fiber/plastic bushings out this morning. They actually weren't in too bad of shape. The first one was a pain. I used a wood chisel to split it down along the inside and finally it came apart in pieces. The other side came out fairly easily once I figured out what I was doing sort of by driving it out with a socket (17mm I think) and some extensions with the aid of a ball peen hammer. I created a few burrs that I had too smooth out with a file. Boy my mikes order is growing.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pumps, as you have the original pivot bolt with the reduced thread, I'd really recommend changing it for a new bolt. It might look alright now, then you'll tension it up & that could be the straw that breaks its back.

I guess it breaks because of tension.....Both from doing it up & frame flexing. Oh well, might as well brace your frame on the pivot point while your there!

650rider.com/index.php...1354&pos=3

Yeah Gordo, that's why I went to needle rollers. I replaced the lot, pivot bolt too.

Was there something between the 2 bush's? I was like Gordo actually, I couldn't remember having one, but the parts book says there was. Now I realise that was the main bushing that goes through the bronze ones! Embarassed

despecial

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

- i believe an early suzuki GS1000 swing arm bolt fits perfectly once youve shaped the head
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

yamaman wrote:
Pumps, as you have the original pivot bolt with the reduced thread, I'd really recommend changing it for a new bolt. It might look alright now, then you'll tension it up & that could be the straw that breaks its back.

I guess it breaks because of tension.....Both from doing it up & frame flexing. Oh well, might as well brace your frame on the pivot point while your there!

650rider.com/index.php...&pos=3
Was there something between the 2 bush's? I was like Gordo actually, I couldn't remember having one, but the parts book says there was. Now I realise that was the main bushing that goes through the bronze ones! Embarassed

There was NOT something between the oem bushings. I just thought there was. Did the original pivot bolt have grease fittings on the ends as mine does? Was that oem? It seemed to be ok although I don't have it here at the station to inspect it. I have not budgeted for the needle bearing conversion. If I do it something else will get pushed off the list on my next order. Dammit! That's another $100. My order is up to $220 now!
On another topic sort of, my tension bar, the bar that hooks to the brake hub has these little hooks on it I guess I never noticed, on the inside. Was that for a wire that went to the rear lining warning light or what?
The brace, that is in the upper part of the picture? Horizontally?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

...originally there was a long metal bush that fitted between the outer plastic bushes
...grease nipple is also original
...hooks were for the rear brake lining warning light as you say

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Brace is round tube in front of the swing arm. It's scalloped to go around main frame spine & welded. Also welded to the frame each side on the pivot point. Make sure the chain has a free run! This is the most flexi part of these bikes according to MMM. Probably the reason the pivot bolts break!

Glad you had trouble seeing it, I must have done a good job of it Wink

Bronze bushings will be fine, some have had trouble fitting pivot bolt bushing through........You could hone the bronze bushings if steel bush is in good nick.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 25, 2009, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Question on the swing arm needle bearing conversion kit...I'm thinking of ordering the kit from mikes, part # 28-1011, the new bolt & nut part # 27-1067 . Do I need grease seals too or are they the things that look like washers in the conversion kit picture????

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 25, 2009, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pump's, those are the side bearing's. No, you do not need to order seals, as the side bearing's take their place.
You'll find that the needle set fit's like a glove when it's all back together. When I did mine, before I mounted the shocks up, I moved the swingarm from the floor all the wau up as far as it would go, and it was a nice, smooth, & tight feel. And the grease came through the bearing's just fine.
I did grease between the roller's before the installation, so it didn't take much grease.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5