650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic
    Forum Index -> Electrical
woodman

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

Ive searched for info but cant find anything. Can someone run me thru whats involved in putting the 80 electronic ignition off my 80 parts bike on my 78 Std XS650. Also is it even worth the bother ?
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

I would do it.....mine has been a distance of 3 times around the earth and not skipped a beat.....but would change the harness too........crankshaft driven ignition is quite accurate...........big circle and no jittering cam chain........then swing the pickup coil 1/8" or so counter clockwise to retard it a bit.........factory advance on these hurts bottom end and your foot and engine parts........
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

What engine parts do I need to swap over off the 80 ? I know I need the coils & do I use the Electronic plate that was the points plate on the 78 & swap the stators too. Thanks for the help John
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

Never swapped one ..was lucky enough to already have one... Very Happy ....harness.....stator with pickup coil......rotor...coils ...tci box......don't need any of that junk in the cam.....now about the all switches and all other 78 connectors...don't know.....I am assuming they would work.........maybe someone else knows better.........

Last edited by xsjohn on December 6, 2009, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

Yeah, you'll need the single coil off the '80
Take off the advance rod and everything that's hooked up to that.
Get a rotor puller & swap rotors, yeah keep them together & swap stators too.
Swap reg/rectifier
Not sure if you'll need to swap safety relay or any other ancilleries

Swap the harness like John said (or make your own, either way).
Keep in mind you will have to deal with the sidestand cut switch & whatever else the TCI deals with (clutch cut out).
Probably missed something, but should be reasonabley easy with all the parts sitting there right next to you, cheers.

xsjohn

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

80 has no side stand switch.......good thinking I forgot the regulator....
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

I would study some of the simplified bobber type wiring diagrams for the electronic ig. year bikes.
I think the swap would be well worth it.

xsjohn

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

By the way.....last month I measured out the magnet location on the tci rotor and a friend in Calif drilled and glued a "small" rare earth magnet into the older rotor and it worked like a champ on the tci bike of his....slight insulation on the magnet since both copper plates are there....just for info you know......

Can make a drawer full of old rotors look more modern...... Laughing

Last edited by xsjohn on December 6, 2009, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

Too much, John, love it.
When are you gonna start working on the trans gearing?, 1st and 2nd?

xsjohn

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

Man I am so scrawny that I like the tall 1 and 2 now.......I can scat.......slow corners take some getting used to though......need to stay sober for those.......... Laughing

Laughing Laughing

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=channel
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

Take all the Electronic ignition and the points ignition stuff sell it. Get pamcopete's universal ignition. You will be happy and your bike will love it.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

xsjohn wrote:
By the way.....last month I measured out the magnet location on the tci rotor and a friend in Calif drilled and glued a "small" rare earth magnet into the older rotor and it worked like a champ on the tci bike of his....slight insulation on the magnet since both copper plates are there....just for info you know......

Can make a drawer full of old rotors look more modern...... Laughing

Hey xsjohn - tell me more about this.

This may be the answer to my rephase ... I cannot imagine myself going to points. The electronic method is much easier if only I get 2 separate pick up coils off some chinese scooter (which someone I know did to a GS500 and it has a entirely different type of coil). or get 2 different marks for ignition on the rotor and fire them with the same stock pick up coil.

Cool.
Srinath.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

xsleo wrote:
Take all the Electronic ignition and the points ignition stuff sell it. Get pamcopete's universal ignition. You will be happy and your bike will love it.
the Pamco needs the advance mech.

xsleo

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Converting 78 points ignition to 80 factory electronic

I guess I should have been more clear. I meant just the points plates and coils. Thanks for the correction.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1